Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Where can I get linux drivers?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I install Red Hat 7.3 onto a spare 120GB drive last night, but unsuprisingly it has no support for several of my devices. Where's a good place to search? (Already googled without much luck)

Specifically I'm lacking drivers for:

Canon Canoscan N670U (flatbed scanner, usb)
Fuji Finepix 4900 (dig. camera, usb)
Epson Stylus Color 740 (usb)
Soundblaster SB128 CT5880
Radeon 64 DDR VIVO (agp)

It's not like it's old hardware, and I'm sooo tempted not to bother.

Comments

• Options
    have you tired http://www.redhat.com/ ?

They rarely have drivers themselves, but can often point you in the right direction.
    If that does not work search the newgroups, or post a message asking for help.
    Some-one should come to your aid.
  • Options
  • Options
    The drivers for your printer should be within CUPS (Common Unix Printing System)

Should be a how-to somewhere on your instalation if not, on the Redhat site.

Just configure CUPS and you should be able to choose your driver.

Another Possibility is trying out Mandrake 9.0 on a 2Gig partition. Its just come out so it may just auto configure everything.
  • Options
    It's not like it's old hardware, and I'm sooo tempted not to bother.

*Chuckle*

The older the hardware is the better in most cases. People have to write drivers unless manufacturers like HP & NVidia write drivers themselves. There always tends to be a delay with getting driver support with new hardware
  • Options
    Well I give up for now. Yes I did try redhat. I thought downloading and installing the OS from 3 CDs would contain enough to cover it all. Bah!
    I found the lhd site and they have nothing for me.
    The sound card started working when I switched to KDE, so maybe it was ok before but had no sounds in use for events.
    It seems to know all about my hardware, names each item on the USB hub, etc. It just has no drivers. I don't think Linux is ready for me yet. Not being able to use my Alcatel broadband modem kinda put me off a tad too.
  • Options
    For your sound card you could try ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture) - but it may already be included in the distro, I don't know. My SB Live! works ok under it so you could try http://www.alsa-project.org and see if it's listed. I think Creative support Open Source anyway so you might be lucky.

As for the gfx card I'm not so sure since mine is some old shite (ATI Rage II) but works fine.

Not much help there but I'm new to Linux too (SuSE).
  • Options
    I too have an alcatel speedtouch modem, it was an absolute arse to configure but i got there in the end.:banghead:

I'm trying out the new Mandrake today so I'll let you know how i get on. I've just upgraded my computer so i've got some fairly new kit in there - GeForce 4, Terratec 24/96 Fire soundcard. Hopefully it will pick it all up.:nervous:

Back to the adsl, if you couldn't find the how-to and drivers gimme a shout and I'll send some links your way.;)
  • Options
    Well bugger me backwards if they haven't just announced RedHat 8.0. I might give it a whirl this week when they stick it on the ftp server...