Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Downloading music...what do you think...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
If it wasn't for these p2p file sharing softwares like Napster, Kaaza, Audiogalaxy etc....there would have been a LOT of excellent music that I would simply have missed out on. I would still probably be into crap chart music and watching TOTPs.
We all know that the future of these softwares is looking very unstable. I can hardly download a song nowdays.
What do you think about all of these softwares. Have you got an idea that can replace them, and keep everyone (even the record companies) happy?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    i use kazza alot and find it brilliant.have over 200 songs at the moment and only started using again after i had to re-boot the whole computer.my friend has over 500 songs and we have music videos as well.I would have missed out on alot of brialliant music as well.
    The record companies could set up a program and charge a small fee and let users download songs at a fast pace.they would make as much money but there will always still be people who want to buy cds.
    I myself copy cds and sell them on to people and people are still buying cds from me but not as much.i sell them in school and im only 16 so i dont rely on cd sales for all my money.
  • Options
    Downloading music...what do you think...

Well mmmmm it saves money, so its brilliant in my mind!!:D
  • Options
    I download nearly all of my music! I was a student for 3 years, like I could afford to buy cds! lol

Also a lot of the music that I like, mainly US R&B, is only available on import and I refuse to pay about £20+ for an album! :eek:
  • Options
    If done properly and not abused by people using the internet, being able to download MP3's would be great for the music industry. Unfortunately, that's never going to happen though.

I've always used these programs since Napster, and I have a tonne of MP3's right now. I normally download 2-4 MP3's from an album, and if I like it I BUY IT. I've discovered so many bands through the internet, mostly bands that I'd never of heard of had it not been for MP3's and I've bought their albums because of it. Personally, I'd prefer to have the proper CD. Unfortunately not everyone is like this.

I do think it's wrong to download loads and loads of albums, make your own CD's, and never let the band get any of your money. If everyone was like this, then most bands wouldn't bother releasing albums, since they'd never get anything back from it.

Something like www.mp3.com is ideal I think. Bands put what THEY want to be downloaded, you can get a few songs, and if you like them you can buy them album.
  • Options
    I've downloaded quite a lot, but my current fad is buying enhanced audio things, like SACD, DVD-A and such. At this level the mp3's just don't even compare so I think the music industry will survive if they offer lower quality copies of all their stuff as mp3 for free, then put out enhanced content versions with videos and such.
    The only mp3's I burnt to CD were rare b-sides and tracks only available in compilations (compilations of songs where I had every normal album already so wasn't prepared to buy).
  • Options
    I think they are excellent.

I think it helped Dance music and the club scene alot. U cant get much in the way off good dance music on CD, as most of its crap, and the only good stuff is limited. I know if it wasnt for tunes i downloaded off the net i wudnt have half a clue as to what i would be listening to in a club, and because i know what tunes im listening to i appreciate them much more and enjoy them much more.

If ur a up and coming DJ and u wanna listen to a track before u buy it u can just download it first and listen to it.

Although the file sharing softwares are costing producers of music money, its an excellent way of promoting the tunes they make and could make them more money than if there was no internet topromote them at all.

They also save me alot of money on going out and buying CD's. Sometimes music stores dont always have a album ur after so u can just download it off the net.

Eminen's infinite album is hard to come by, yet i downloaded it off the net for nothing.
  • Options
    These p2p's are very nice things indeed, but I don't download much anymore. I find it faster and fine to just go and buy the cd i want. I have a burner, and millions of cd's now, so i just make my own compilations of what i like at the time, i normally make one or two a week. Heres the playlist for one i made last night..

Intro from Skull and Bones - Cypress Hill
    Clint Eastwood Remix - Gorillaz
    Follow the light - Dungeon Family
    Sorry im away so much - Xzibit
    Get out of my soul - Cypress Hill
    I declare war - Pacewon
    Doo Wop (that thing) - Lauryn Hill
    Weekends - Black Eyed Peas
    Fuckin you right' - Xzibit
    Ol' Time Killing - Kardinal Offishal and Busta Rhymes
    Round and Round - Jonell and MethodMan
    High Voltage - Linkin Park (from the Reanimation album)
    Where you at - Fatman Scoop
    G Building - M.O.P
    Real Life - Kool G Rap
    By the time i get to arizona - Public Enemy
    Bang Bang - Dr Dre
    Razor to your Throat - Everlast
    Cousins - RZA
    Action Satisfaction - Jurassic 5
    When the music stops - Eminem and D-12

.. Sorry .. I am excited about it cause it's my favourite album ive made so far. Meh.. Had to share it, no matter how much it annoys you all ;)

Drum
  • Options
    I would never download a whole album because I think that is a bit like stealing. I download at most three songs and if I am impressed I will buy the CD because I like having a CD collection! I buy my CDs online at CD Wow (all £8.99 no P&P!) so they aren't too expensive.
  • Options
    CD wow? Whats this?
  • Options
    http://www.cd-wow.com/

Also good for cheap DVD's sometimes, like Back To The Future trilogy (region 4) is currently selling cheaper than the UK release, and two months earlier!
  • Options
    Yea i use Kazaa.. mainly coz i listen to rnb and hip hop from the US and its so hard to actually get it shipped ova to Ireland. It also keeps me up to date on nu stuff by my fav artists..

My only problem with Kazaa is that it takes ages to download.. anyone else experience this??
  • Options
    I use Kazaa and find that it takes ages as well. Songspy's better.
    I'm strapped for cash right now so I usually just download the good songs from albums and avoid the crap they sometimes have so I'm one of the evil music pirates that record labels hate. :D However, I'm always asking my friends if they've heard any good, random songs recently to download and through have discovered JJ72, Counting Crows, Barenaked Ladies and Incubus. I've probably got less than 20 mp3s from all those bands put together but if I actually had cash to throw around I'd definately buy the CDs because it takes so long to download entire albums.

So... mp3s are good if CDs were cheaper!
  • Options
    D/L music is fine , as long as you dont abuse it!

Many , many a time i have downloaded a few songs from a band i was unsure about, then liked them so much, i ran out and bought their album(s) .

I think the internet is a good way to get music to loads of people.

Oh but i hate people who download full albums and burn them to CD , fecking thiefs! lol