Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Do we become more right-wing as we grow older?

I've been thinking about this for some time. Perhaps some people are more vocal than others, but I get the impression that the majority of pensioners are much more conservative than people in the 16-35 age group. Now I know that some people are conservative throughout their lives, and the opposite also happens: there are a few old left wingers still voicing their opinions with one foot in the grave. But still it seems that the majority of older citizens have a much more conservative approach to life: from drug consumption to sex/homosexuality to crime & punishment and many other issues.

Most of the people I've met in my age group have much more liberal views and I think it's safe to state that the majority of the population under 35 is, if not left-wing, at least more liberal than your average conservative voter. So can we look forward to having open-minded, liberal OAPs in 2040? Or are most of us gradually going to become more conservative and eventually be against the very things we embraced in our youth? And what provokes this change? Is it purely envy: the unavailability to do things we were once able to?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The harsh reality of life has smacked some sense into them :D They have realised that their lovely liberal idealism just doesnt cut the mustard in this shitty world of ours.

They become hard, bitter and conservative.
  • Options
    Actually I was more right wing as a teen due largely to a brief foray into the world of the evangelical US Christian Right at the time when i could vote.

As Ive gotten older, left the US, travelled in numerous countries on numerous continents and spent some time with the ordinary people Ive become more left of centre i would have to say.
  • Options
    I sincerely hope to retain my classical liberal views long into the future. :)

I do reckon it is generally true that people get 'more conservative' as they age. Not just in terms of political views, but also in their 'world view' or general outlook on life.
  • Options
    Re: Do we become more right-wing as we grow older?
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    But still it seems that the majority of older citizens have a much more conservative approach to life: from drug consumption to sex/homosexuality to crime & punishment and many other issues.

Norms change. And I guess that in approach every generation becomes more and more liberal.

Though politically (at least concerning the people in my surroundings), I wouldn't make a thumb rule saying (I know that you only meant roughly): Elderly=Conservative, Younger=Liberal.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Balddog
    The harsh reality of life has smacked some sense into them :D They have realised that their lovely liberal idealism just doesnt cut the mustard in this shitty world of ours.

I agree fully with that.

On issues such as homophobia, racism, sexism and alike, I think it isn't because they are old, but because they grew up in different times.
  • Options
    I think mindless' distinction is right; there are 'moral' issues which are a question of generation, and I imagine on this front our - I'm making a sweeping assumption that most people here are under, say, 30 - generation will probably retain the fairly liberal attitude it has now. i think these things are a matter of social conditioning.
    Then there are things like tax - and I think this is a fairly straightforward issue of human greed: it's much easier to be selfless and want to share the wealth when you have fuck all of it, which tends to be when you're young. When you're older you're more likely to be loaded and more liekly to think twice about raising taxes.
    I hate the idea that being on the left is idealistic, and being on the right is realistic (that is, 'everyone else is out for themselves, so why shouldn't I be?'), which is why people change... but I have a horrible feeling it might be true.
    Of course, it wouldn't be true if everyone changed and became more concernd about their fellow man. but that really is unrealistic.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Balddog

This is so true. Although I still retain many of my more liberal 'morals'.