Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Book Recommendations

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    They're probably not the classics your teachers would love you for reading but my fave book is 'Memoirs Of A Geisha' By Arthur Golden, I couldn't put it down once I started reading it, tis fab! :D I've just finished reading 'The Alchemist' by Paulo Coelho (sp) and that's very good aswell - and quite a quick read if you wanna add something to your reading list asap ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Faith
    They're probably not the classics your teachers would love you for reading but my fave book is 'Memoirs Of A Geisha' By Arthur Golden, I couldn't put it down once I started reading it, tis fab! :D I've just finished reading 'The Alchemist' by Paulo Coelho (sp) and that's very good aswell - and quite a quick read if you wanna add something to your reading list asap ;)

Both of them should be excellent! Havn't read any of those. But been searching for 'the Alchemist', with no luck :(
  • Options
    We studied A Kestrel for a knave by Barry Hines for our GCSES and really enjoyed and it had some good lines in it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Faith
    They're probably not the classics your teachers would love you for reading but my fave book is 'Memoirs Of A Geisha' By Arthur Golden, I couldn't put it down once I started reading it, tis fab!
    I found that too. It was very interesting and not at all what I expected it to be like!
  • Options
    I am stunned that no-one has mentioned "Brighton Rock" or "Our Man in Havana" both by Graham Greene. Ditto "Animal Famr" by George Orwell and "Of Mice and Men" (can't remember the author) - all classic books.

I would also recommend Lady Chatterly's Lover" by DH Lawrence, that is if you can get this past your parents and your teacher, but it is a recognised classic.

You could also look at " A Passage to India"...

To be honest, any book that falls into the "classics" heading would be good for a Literature course. What you want to avoid is anything "trashy"...
  • Options
    "Vanity Fair", by William Thackeray, which I'm in the middle of reading, is a scream and very satirical. Again, as a 'classic', it should be well aproved of by your teacher. For another bit of light c.18th reading, try Emma by Jane Austen. But not straight after watching Clueless, or it spoils the plot!

I've also just finished Che Guevara's Motocycle Diaries, which is a fascinating insight into South America, and was written before his revolutionary days.
  • Options
    books
    Originally posted by Stephie
    the only books ive ever read & not liked were Jane Eyre & The Hobbitt! Im not really into Sci-Fi types but apart from that i like pretty much any type of book as long as it has a good story that i can get really into & not want to put down! :D

i agree with you about Jane Eyre i good book i wuold recomend is HOPE i forgot who wrote it but it is about the Amirican gold rush just befor the Titanic try it it is relly good if you ask at the library they should be abel to look it up for you :D
  • Options
    god, i will read anything and i could NOT get through Jane Eyre, it really irritated me. The books out of those mentioned before that i would definately reccomend reading are:

Anything by Terry Pratchett - not seen as a particularly challenging set of books, but you do need a certain frame of mind to read them, and they will make you think, even if it is just about the parallels between our world and the Discworld

Margaret Atwoods books - some of these can be quite hard going, so if you're trying to ease yourself into reading, probably not the best things to start with. However, my all time favourite book is The Handmaids Tale, which is very readable. Also has a lot of parallels with Orwell's 1984. I wouldn't try to read anything like The Blind Assasin yet, it's the sort of book that you do need quite a large chunk of time and concentration to get through, but it is very good and worth reading eventually.

I would read the Harry Potter series, as they are now cult fiction and well on their way to becoming modern classics - plus, they're really really good :D

I haven't read the dave peltzer books, but my sister has, and she reccomends them all very strongly - that's 'A Child Called It', 'The Lost Boy' and 'A Man Named Dave'. I might read them soonish.

The Beach by Alex Garland is very good book, but don't cheat and just watch the film; it's completely different and crap. Doesn't have any of the deeper stuff in it.

Memoirs of a Geisha is AMAZING, i loved that book, but a couple of my friends couldn't get into it. I'd try it, but get it out of the library, don't just buy it cos you could hate it.

Lady Chatterly's Lover is very good, and worth reading just for the fact that it was banned in the 60's! It's an interesting story, and i think i'm going to go and find it once i've finished this post.

All i've really done is added my backing to other peoples reccomendations, but actually, just find a book that you want to read, even if it's not on this list/on that your teacher gave you, because the more you do read, the faster you become (always an advantage!), and your spelling and grammar all improve because of it. Enjoy :D
  • Options
    oh, and another book worth reading is Chocolat by Joanne Harris. I really enjoyed it, i read it about a week ago and couldn't put it down.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Sa-ra-ra-ra
    god, i will read anything and i could NOT get through Jane Eyre, it really irritated me.

God I had to do that for GCSE. Hated it and never even read more than a few chapters! :yuck:
  • Options
    1984 has been recommended a lot, maybe you could also read 'Dead Famous' by Ben Elton. This gives a modern, humerous view of the 'Big Brother' theme. I really enjoyed it anyway. :D
  • Options
    curious george in the big city

what? its a fuckin classic
  • Options
    Originally posted by Scorpion
    1984 has been recommended a lot, maybe you could also read 'Dead Famous' by Ben Elton. This gives a modern, humerous view of the 'Big Brother' theme. I really enjoyed it anyway. :D

I haven't read that, i tried to read Popcorn, and i just didn't get into it. Inconcievable is a good book by him though, definately worh reading, and has some very very funny parts in it! It's also partly based on a true story as Ben Elton and his wife went through a course of fertility treatment.