Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Killpack Water Torture Kills Child

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
A child named Cassandra, an adoptee, was killed by her parents, Richard Killpack and Jennete Killpack, in Utah on June 10th because of a method of punishment that was supposed to stop four-year-old Cassandra's lying and stealing.

The parents say that Cassandra's therapist told them whatever she stole should be given to her in excess and also recommend giving their daughter water to promote bonding between child and parents (a victim of past abuse, she wasn't bonding with them).

Cassandra's punishment for stealing was to be forced to drink 24 ounces (three cups) of water. They asked their other children, also adoptees, to get a rope to tie Cassandra up. Even forcing her when gagging, they managed to get Cassandra to drink 12 ounces before she started complaining about dizziness and then passed out in her father's arms.

The sodium level of Cassandra's blood was low, which caused her brain to swell, killing her the next day.

Some of the information in this case is questionable. Some say she stole water, others say Kool-Aid. One argument is that her parents gave her more water than they say, another argument is that her sodium levels were deplete before she was forced to drink the water. The parents say they were following their therapist's advice, the therapist denies giving such advice.

More here.

Do you think the Killpacks are criminally responsible for Cassandra's death?

Comments

• Options
    yes i think they are responsible. That is so awful, the poor child. Dont they check out adoptive parents there? I just cant understand how people can be so sick.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    yes i think they are responsible. That is so awful, the poor child. Dont they check out adoptive parents there? I just cant understand how people can be so sick.

I think "thick" is a far more apt word than sick. Simply taking instructions out of context. The therapist no doubt said something along those lines, although maybe not as instructions. I'm sure they're relatively normal people, just a bit slow witted.
  • Options
    no ive heard of really weird `therapies` in America to promote bonding. I heard of another child that died before as the adooptive parents tried to `rebirth` her somehow, to promote bonding, by the whole family lying on top of her under pillows to represent being in the womb, then when she came out she was supposed to be rebirthed. the girl died of suffocation, and the adoptive parents got done for murder. There are some really crackpot therapies out there. people cant use them as an excuse for abusing a child. Its so obvious its abuse, If they were that stupid as you say, they wouldnt have been allowed to adopt the child surely? The fact that they involved the older daughter in the abuse too, its all wrong.
  • Options
    Well my first thought is why would a "therapist" suggest that a child with a history of abuse would benefit from such threatment :confused:

My second is why would anyone think that this was appropriate treatment for any child.

This sounds like manslaughter to me.
  • Options
    The idea of getting the child to ask for everything and giving them whatever they "sneak" in excess isnt new.

Its a recognised therapy for children with this type of disorder

However it looks like these parents took it to excess and their methods turned from corrective to abusive.

Very sad
  • Options
    christ on a bike. how horrible.
    I don't think there's really any good to be gained from prosecuting them... I mean,imagine how they must feel. Unless they have a history of abusive punishments,or any intent can be shown.
  • Options
    to systematically torture a child like that shows they must have a severe lack of normal feelings, so i wouldnt assume that they would be too upset about it now. They cant just get away with it.
  • Options
    Nah.. I'm with turtle...

I think they were taking advice out of context, and were very unlucky. Not as unlucky, however, as the child involved.

Mansluaghter or accidental death I think would be appropriate.

Would sending the parents to prison help them?
    I think they just need to learn to think more... and maybe some better knowledge of anatomy.