Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Alternative forms of entertainment (NOT sex :p)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I was wondering, does anyone still like ballets? Acts? Musicals? Operas?

The entertainment forum is mainly based on music (genres, chart-toppers), movies and tv.

So I was wondering are the forms of entertainment fading out? Or does anyone actually enjoy any of this stuff?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Working as I do in a theatre I get to see plays, musical acts, opera, ballet.... the list is endless.

I was never an opera fan but if I read what the opera is about in the programme beforehand I usually enjoy it!

So yes, I think that although these other forms of entertainment aren't as popular as TV and film (probably because TV and film is cheaper and more accesible to the masses) they are still there and very much enjoyed, I know I love the theatre now!!

We are currently showing a production of Emma which is fantastic, and in the coming months we have King Lear with Tomothy West!
  • Options
    Last xmas for my now ex's xmas pressie I paid for us to go & see the musical Chicago. It was amazing. I've never been to an opera but I love going to see plays & things at the theatre.
  • Options
    I can't say i have been into them.........
  • Options
    i like going to ballets, but that might have something to do that i used to do ballet. i also enjoy classical concerts, nearly all music deserves recognation, especially that, it is so complicated and moving.
  • Options
    Originally posted by my_name
    i like going to ballets, but that might have something to do that i used to do ballet. i also enjoy classical concerts, nearly all music deserves recognation, especially that, it is so complicated and moving.

Same with me. I absolutely love ballets (only danced for a year though, and I was 6, lol).
    I got offered tickets for a ballet, and I went even though it was my 3rd time seeing it. That's my favourite form of classical entertainment.
    Classical music can also be amazing when put on in the right occasions and with the right mood. But too often it is put of with old age homes. If you listen closely, a lot of rock bands have adopted the classical strings and violins in their sound.

Musicals are great as long as the choreography is good, and the play has some kind of action. I adored Jesus Christ Superstar which I saw 2 weeks ago, I think.

Never seen an opera though.
  • Options
    Comics.
    Friday just gone i went appoleptic because i found out at a comic shop that Brian Talbot had released a follow up to 'The Adventures of Luther Arkwright' (without luther arkwright, likely to be no watchmen, no Dark knight returns, as it pretty much established Graphic Novels as a viable venture), Thankfully they had the graphic novel collection for it. Still Cracking stuff!

Stll awaiting the next Usagi-Yojimbo collection (about the only comic i still read, and i only buy the collections)

I read a fair amount of history books, mainly in relation to my playing with toy soldiers (tabletop wargaming) and of course collecting and painting figures

Big Kid? Me? and so what :yeees:
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Can't say I've ever been to an Opera, but up until a few years ago I used to go to the theatre quite a bit. My ex used to be into acting, and I quite enjoyed going along with her to watch what plays were on. About the only time I go to the theartre now, is to watch stand-up!
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I go to the theatre quite a lot, with my mum, i've seen loads of classical music performed in various places (like the barbican; our next door player was a professional french horn player, so we got free tickets!), and i've seen (and know most of) the works of Gilbert and Sullivan. I've also seen quite a few musicals.
  • Options
    Originally posted by hurrahbro
    Comics.

hell yea, i love stand up comedy.
  • Options
    I've met Bryan Talbot. He gave a talk at the theatre where I work and he was very interesting. He showed slides of One Bad Rat and talked about his inspiration for it!

Very informative and made me go to the library and look at some more graphic novels!
  • Options
    I like to go to the Theatre, to see plays, stand up comics and the occasional musical (the last I saw was Buddy), but I find opera and ballet a total yawnarama.
  • Options
    unfortunately opera (other than the browser), theater and orther acts comes under my heading of spectator sports.

Some thearter I can stand, if i know the story and they are doing something original, or its something i've read but never seen.. but generally i'd rather be doing something than watching other people have a good time.

hurrahbro : Comics! comics can be pretty cool. As for establishing graphic novels as a serious literary form , what about N gaimans "the sandman" series? I though that was pretty much the first to be properly considerd.

I do other thing to occupy myself. I read lots, practice street art (contact juggleing and devil stick mostly... there seems to have been a recent upsurge in these forms over the last year though), draw (badly), play roleplay games, play CCG's, attend martail arts clubs, cycle, err... well, thats about it for my regular pass-times, but i very rarely get bored.

Beats watching TV though.
  • Options
    oh, i just had to say this, this june i am going to see the new york brodway production of lion king!!!!!!!!!!! kick ass
  • Options
    I would love to go to see Lion King! Lucky you.

I absolutely love going to the theatre watching plays and going to musicals too. I've not been to as many as I'd like to, but I've seen Miss Saigon three times, Les Miserables and Sunset Boulevard (i think?). I quite like ballet too, I've only seen the Nutcracker though which was absolutely brilliant.

None of my friends are into this kind of stuff so when I do get to go, its usually with my parents or my Nana! I need a likeminded friend who wants to come and see plays and stuff!