Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Iraq agrees to the unconditional return of UN inspectors

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    No actually, quite well known fact if youd bother to do more research than CNN.com.

Want to provide a source?

In fact, plans for a whole range of conflicts are held at the Pentagon, and plans for conflict with Iraq have been continually updated since 1991 (wonder why?). Funny though...if you know that the plan for invasion was in the works since prior to 9/11/01, you'd have to know what the actual plan is, wouldn't you? And you don't. Neither do your sources. :D In other words, you're IGNORANT. Gee, big surprise.
  • Options
    Greenhat, your remarks are always further examples of the pot calling the kettle black. And why should i provide you a source if you are intelligent as you claim. I have posted past sources from excellent and credible sources which you have not bothered to read so I shan't provide further links for you to ignore in your normal bullheaded fashion.

Umm no sorry MoK, but WWII is a considerably different order of magnitude than anything the US is trying to pull off nowadays. WWII wasn't started by the US, wasn't a direct consequence of its own hypocritical and hegemonic foreign policy, nor was it a unilateral invasion, nor was it pre-emptive.

I am not going to sit and debate ad infinitum with you and Greenhat since you both are 100% confirmed war supporters and obviously refuse to question the pre-text, attitude, or related actions of the US govt post 9/11.

You and Greenhat can slam the UN for its failure in the past as much of that criticism is deserved. However, I also feel that more criticism should be made concerning a moronic, greedy and corrupt administration like the current US admin than is apparently the case at the moment. It is not the United States of the World after all, it is one country that behaves as if everyone must bow to its wishes anytime it throws a tantrum like a spoiled three year old child.

I also believe, despite your criticism, that there is far more illicit activity surrounding events since Bush took office, and - given the connections the Bush family has with the Carlysle Group, CIA connections with Bin Laden, the fact that past US administrations have conducted covert operations whether it be arms sales to those we now call terrorists or to oppressive regimes - I have every faith that my take on the situation is far closer to the truth than the cover stories you choose to believe in.

So rant on and flame away if it helps you sleep better, Ill continue to decry the behaviour of my country's leadership till people wake up once again and find their conscience.
  • Options
    You would much prefer to have connections with the Chinese gov't paying the bills, right? LMAO
  • Options
    No. I would rather the US stop with the lies, cover-ups and hypocritical foreign policies whereby we set up dictators to line our own pockets regardless of how they may oppress their people and then go on to make war with them later in the name of democracy and freedom. Its utter bullshit and if that fact escapes you then im afraid the military has brainwashed you more than you want to admit.
  • Options
    Possibly the biggest criticism of the UN then Clandestine, would be its inability to deal with the US.

Proof positive that it is indeed toothless.
  • Options
    Which is why I hearken back to my praise for the criticism made by Mendella recently. Its time the world leaders found their conscience and actually applied it to giving ol Bushy boy and and his rampant administration the red card.
  • Options
    How?

Keep dreaming.
  • Options
    Which is why I hearken back to my praise for the criticism made by Mendella recently. Its time the world leaders found their conscience and actually applied it to giving ol Bushy boy and and his rampant administration the red card.

Just words, and that is the problem with the UN, as an entity. All it has, without the US, is words. What it needs is action, and as the resolutions against Israel prove, they are only able to enforce their will when the US is on board.
  • Options
    Being onboard as one amongst many is fine. Holding the UN hostage to its own vision of the world is what is out of line. And as the UN resolutions against Israel prove, they can't enfore them as long as the US stands in the way and refuses to take Israel to task.

Its all hypocrisy frankly.
  • Options
    Obviously a differing perspective.

The fact that the UN cannot act against one country, because another country stands in the way really explains why I hold the UN in comtempt.

Two countries prevent action by the rest of the world.

Speaks volumes, doesn't it...

Its also the reason why the League of Nations failed, because it was shown that it could not act when it needed to.
  • Options
    The 5 permanent security council members should be stripped of their veto rights. That would help an awful lot.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    The 5 permanent security council members should be stripped of their veto rights. That would help an awful lot.

I wouldn't disagree with that.

Perhaps the UN could do something about it :yeees:
  • Options

Still wouldn't make any difference. Would probably result in those nations leaving the UN and the UN being evicted from NY. At which time the UN would fail.
  • Options
    Somehow I disagree with that assessment Greenhat. First off it would make the institution far more democratic in keeping with its supposed nature as a level world playing field for diplomacy. Secondly, it might be just as well that it does find a more neutral and suitable location for its headquarters than in the US. This way its location could not also be used as a means for the US to impose its unilateral will on the rest of the nations of the world.

If Bush and Co. signalled any such decision to withdraw on such grounds, there would be a political backlash in the electorate which Bush definitely would not be able to lie his way out of with more BS.

Its time our country learned that it is but one of many and as we like to say, our rights end where everyone else's rights begin.
  • Options
    find a more neutral and suitable location .

Is it possible to find a neutral place, unless someone isn't a member...
  • Options
    There are lots of unclaimed islands in the ocean yet and if all else fails there's always Antartica. ;)
  • Options

If Bush and Co. signalled any such decision to withdraw on such grounds, there would be a political backlash in the electorate which Bush definitely would not be able to lie his way out of with more BS.

Haven't paid attention to polls of US opinion of the UN, have you?
  • Options
    Polls are not absolutes my friend, they are subject to massive swings either way fairly quickly depending on circumstances and Im sure even someone like you should be aware of that.
  • Options
    Most Americans want out of the UN..

We live in a Nation of Law, just like y'all do.. We follow the law or pay a price, just like y'all do..

If the UN makes resolutions just to make idle noises, what good are they?

As an American, I find the UN to be an expensive habit, not only expensive but ineffective. By the polls, most Americans agree...

Plus, there's no united about the United Nations, they pass international laws or resolutions, then ignore them..
  • Options
    Just as our US government ignores international law whenever it feels like it. Your over-confidence in our nation's goodness and respect for law is heartwarming but naive.

Frankly without the UN the US would be nothing more than a rogue state given its offensive foreign policy practices, and it would remove the umbrella of credibility for our government to railroad other nations to accept our singular vision of the world.

I suppose we'd finally get to see if we are so all powerful that we could fight off the rest of the world united against us at some future point but ill keep my vote FOR the UN thank you very much.
  • Options
    Originally posted by reverse
    Most Americans want out of the UN..

We live in a Nation of Law, just like y'all do.. We follow the law or pay a price, just like y'all do..

If the UN makes resolutions just to make idle noises, what good are they?

As an American, I find the UN to be an expensive habit, not only expensive but ineffective. By the polls, most Americans agree...

Plus, there's no united about the United Nations, they pass international laws or resolutions, then ignore them..

Well you can bet your arse that the rest of the world wants the US out of the UN as well!

I find it extraordinary that you see fit to condemn the UN for lack of action on world conflicts. Guess the name of the country that has blocked no less than 32 UN resolutions on Israel in the last 25 years. Guess the name of the country that has been all too happy to ignore the non-compliance of at least 2 UN resolutions on Israel for up to 35 years.

How can the US complain about the non-compliance of UN resolutions by Iraq when America's bestiest friend and protegee is allowed to laugh in the face of international justice and carry on committing human right abuses unchecked?

Yes, I think it'd be better for all if the US pulled out. They've proved before they don't care for international law or approval before attacking other sovereign nations. And at least the UN could get on with its duties without interference. Hell, we could even see the deployment of peace keeping troops in the Middle East or have UN approval for an European Force intervention in the region. I'd love to see America trying to stop that.
  • Options
    Well you can bet your arse that the rest of the world wants the US out of the UN as well!

Bet they don't ;)
    I find it extraordinary that you see fit to condemn the UN for lack of action on world conflicts. Guess the name of the country that has blocked no less than 32 UN resolutions on Israel in the last 25 years. Guess the name of the country that has been all too happy to ignore the non-compliance of at least 2 UN resolutions on Israel for up to 35 years.

Guess the name of the organisation who has failed to do any of this because one nation objects.

Hardly a stong organisation if that is all it takes to stop them...
    And at least the UN could get on with its duties without interference.

Really, how would it get on with things? How often do you see US troops called in to support UN actions?
  • Options
    So much as it disgusts me, I won't deny the enormous influence the US has on the UN and the international arena at present. This is partly because of the lack of an appropriate armed force that would assist the organisation with its duties.

It's interesting to note how fervently the US is against the creation of an independent Euro army or even a small European Rapid Reaction Force. This body would eventually render NATO irrelevant as far as Europe is concerned, and would give us a priceless military independence from America. And if the UN were allowed to use this force for the implementation of UN resolutions it could work without any interference from US, as it would no longer rely on the Americans to supply military hardware. Then you might see the UN become a little more relevant to world peace.
  • Options
    MoK, fun ny that you should use the argument that the US has blocked numerous resolutions to slam the UN when you yourself raised the singular right of veto not very long ago to emphasize America's rights within the UN. lol.
  • Options
    Yes, I think it'd be better for all if the US pulled out. They've proved before they don't care for international law or approval before attacking other sovereign nations. And at least the UN could get on with its duties without interference. Hell, we could even see the deployment of peace keeping troops in the Middle East or have UN approval for an European Force intervention in the region. I'd love to see America trying to stop that.

How do you move those forces there? How do you keep them supplied? Guess what? The US Air Force and the US Navy are the prime movers for all of Nato and virtually all UN deployments. Only the Russians have anything resembling an air movement capability (and maybe you've noticed how well they're doing keeping them flying) and no one has a naval support capability except the US (Britain scrapped hers shortly after the Falklands, and the Falklands stretched her capabilities to the limit).

Amateurs discuss tactics, professionals discuss logistics.

Without the US, the UN fails.
  • Options
    Well neither the UN nor the EU have been involved in as many conflicts as the US. The network available, as you point out, is rather limited. But that's okay- we don't have the intention of bombing 21 different countries in the next five decades so the need for a vast network is not crucial. We would still be well capable of sending an aircraft carrier and a few thousand troops to, say, the Middle East. And we have Hercules aircraft as well you know, not to mention the mighty Russian transport planes they'd be happy to lease for a few roubles.

We'd manage.
  • Options

We'd manage.

You have no idea what is entailed in supporting a military operation, do you? Even a peace keeping mission of a battalion and its support elements outside of Europe would exceed the capabilities of Nato without the US in a very short time, and would exceed the capabilities Russia can hire out to you within 6 months.
  • Options
    Methinks we need some more support and transport ships
  • Options
    Methinks you and Greenhat should be the first ones aboard. :p
  • Options
    Methinks you and Greenhat should be the first ones aboard. :p

Never tell another to do what one will not do one's self..

Well neither the UN nor the EU have been involved in as many conflicts as the US. The network available, as you point out, is rather limited. But that's okay- we don't have the intention of bombing 21 different countries in the next five decades so the need for a vast network is not crucial. We would still be well capable of sending an aircraft carrier and a few thousand troops to, say, the Middle East. And we have Hercules aircraft as well you know, not to mention the mighty Russian transport planes they'd be happy to lease for a few roubles.

The UN creates messes, they do not clean them up..

The EU lacks a experience as a team, but as individuals? They've been fighting since the start of recorded history..

Yes, the "network" is limited, but you noticed and that is quite an improvement.. After all no one "noticed" before WWII...

BTW, the subject of this thread is incorrect..

Iraq has NOT agreed to the unconditional return of UN inspectors..

However, Iraq has agreed to dictate conditions about the return of UN Inspectors...

Is there a literacy or comprehension problem over there?? :confused::p

OR is your news media as shoddy and inaccurate as ours???

I play a game and its a lot of fun... You take all the rhetoric and debate from pre WWII, swapping Nazi for Iraqi and sodam insane for Hitler...

The person who said history always repeats its self was quite accurate...

This discussion has been closed.