Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The Euro is bad for you - Official

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Okay, slight exaggeration, but the story is here
from the story
They could contain between 240 and 320 times the quantity of nickel allowed under the European Union Nickel Directive

Certainly made me laugh

Especially this bit:
from the story
Seven patients who were sensitive to nickel had coins taped to their skins for 72 hours. All showed positive results when they were tested for allergic reactions.

No shit Sherlock :rolleyes:

Comments

• Options
    I don't think it's true. I've had the 1 euro coin attached for a week now and I haven't noticed any rashes...
  • Options
    Isn't this just another example of how todays political issues are fought with mindless media campaigns rather than real auguments.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Thefairmelissa
    Aladdin, I love the avatar. Where did you find it?

You will find them posted all over the place on the Conservative Party website, as well as the UK Independence Party and The Sun and Daily Mail newspapers. :)

... just kidding. I can't remember where I found it. I did a search for 'euro' in Yahoo. I think I got it from some Irish government euro information website. You might want to go to the UK & Ireland Yahoo page and search for 'euro'. You will see a few euro logos around within the webpages.
  • Options
    Originally posted by cokephreak
    Isn't this just another example of how todays political issues are fought with mindless media campaigns rather than real auguments.

I'm still trying to work out how this story is in any way anti-euro :confused:
  • Options
    The story itself might not be anti euro, but it's the kind rubbish The Sun just loves to publish, with the not-so-hidden message "we told you the euro is a bad thing, here is further proof".
  • Options
    If they actually had, but they didn't. So the point is kind of mute.

As I've said before the only argument being put forward with little fact and negative accusations (proved here again) is the pro- one.
  • Options
    That's just pathetic, I thought that The Sun was bad :rolleyes:

How anyone can try to make political capital out of this story I'll never know.

Unless they wanted to say something about how a coin designed for the EU actually breaks EU regulations, but even that is tenous...
  • Options
    Sorry to drag this one up and I'll probably be told off for doing so being a newbie, but MoK, The Sub DID run this article as an anti-euro story. So thus, The Sun is THAT bad.
  • Options
    Did they? I must have missed it, perhaps there is a link you can point me to...
  • Options
    I checked out the Sun's website on January 2 & 3, as well as reading the copy of the Mail one my colleagues brings daily, it you could really feel the massive frustration and rage the two rags had at the lack of bad news to report about the launch of the euro. The potential for trouble was immense: from chaos at banks and cash machines to the appearance of great amounts of counterfeit notes to mass public discontent with the new currency... As it happened the launch was a complete success. No fakes, no public discontent, no confusion, no errors in the massive operation. It went like a dream.

Faced with this, the Sun was forced to run the most pathetic article in history in order to say something bad about the euro. Since there was nothing bad to report from the Continent two Sun reporters went about the high streets of Britain buying stuff with euros- to report later that: Shock Horror- if you use euros in Britain you will be SHORT-CHANGED! :D :rolleyes:

The Mail wasn't as pathetic but they still ran a two-page spread about 5 deutschmark (sp?) enthusiasts who did a symbolic funeral of the newly extinct German currency.

And they still say they don't wish the euro bad!
  • Options
    Of course, they also suggested that prices would rise...

I think thefairmelissa covered that one, as did the recent protests in Greece.

I'm still waiting for the positive arguments though Aladdin, instead of the carping about what the Sun/Mail are 'reporting'... ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    I'm still waiting for the positive arguments though Aladdin, instead of the carping about what the Sun/Mail are 'reporting'... ;)

Very well :p . More than 50% of our trade is with our European neighbours The introduction of the euro would benefit exports and manufacturing by removing uncertainty and sky-high exchange rates that make the Pound Sterling and imports from Britain to the Continent so expensive. It would help bring prices down as a much clearer picture of how the consumer is being ripped off in Britain would emerge.

The introduction of a single interest rate for the whole of Europe is probably the biggest gamble. Ultimately I think it would be beneficial for the UK because the rates would be lower than what we currently have. Lower rates = lower mortgages = higher consumer spending.

The eurozone will continue to strengthen its position as a major trade player in the world. We cannot afford to ignore this forever. A number of foreign companies have already declined to build new plants in Britain, preferring to do so in the Continent where the euro is operational. This will happen more and more often, and we must not miss the last train.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    More than 50% of our trade is with our European neighbours

Something achieved without a single currency... :)
    The introduction of the euro would benefit exports and manufacturing by removing uncertainty and sky-high exchange rates that make the Pound Sterling and imports from Britain to the Continent so expensive.

Exchange rates that exist because our economies grown, and fail, at differing rates due to the prevailing conditions in the respective areas. That would not change.
    It would help bring prices down as a much clearer picture of how the consumer is being ripped off in Britain would emerge.

Which means what? Can I pop over to France to buy my washing powder cheaper.

Okay, so actually I know people that do, but can someone in Hull, for example?

So, what difference will this actually mean to you average consumer/

Note, prices differ from shop to shop and county to county even in the UK...
    The introduction of a single interest rate for the whole of Europe is probably the biggest gamble.

Remember gambles fail, and you should never gamble unless you can afford to lose. Can we?
    Ultimately I think it would be beneficial for the UK because the rates would be lower than what we currently have. Lower rates = lower mortgages = higher consumer spending.

and our interest rate current stands at what?

Compare that to the rest of Europe...
    The eurozone will continue to strengthen its position as a major trade player in the world. We cannot afford to ignore this forever. A number of foreign companies have already declined to build new plants in Britain, preferring to do so in the Continent where the euro is operational. This will happen more and more often, and we must not miss the last train.

and a number are expanding because of what we offer, as a country and a workforce. It has been common knowledge for over 10 years that we do not intend joing the Euro for some time, yet companies have still invested here. Why is that, do you suppose...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent

Something achieved without a single currency... :)

Sure. Trade’s existed for hundreds of years. The euro is months old. But now that it exists, future deals and transactions will be determined by who is in and who is out. We will lose in the long-term by staying out.

Exchange rates that exist because our economies grown, and fail, at differing rates due to the prevailing conditions in the respective areas. That would not change.

As the Pound is phased out and we adopt the euro any future problem of raising Pound vs. euro (and it’s been happening all too often) would be eliminated, and future exports to Europe would not be affected by an overvalued currency.

Which means what? Can I pop over to France to buy my washing powder cheaper.

Okay, so actually I know people that do, but can someone in Hull, for example?

So, what difference will this actually mean to you average consumer/

Note, prices differ from shop to shop and county to county even in the UK...

It would mean that greedy corporations including (but not exclusive to) Levi’s, Armani, Adidas, Nike and other clothing companies, practically all makers of hi-fi systems, DVDs, videos, console games and other electronic equipment, car makers and other industries would be forced to break the high-price cartel they have in place in the UK. With a single currency hundreds of thousands in the UK could easily compare how much it costs to buy their products in the Continent against the prices in the UK, and would invariably raise two fingers to the UK franchises and go buy their products elsewhere for as long as we have to pay artificially inflated prices.

Remember gambles fail, and you should never gamble unless you can afford to lose. Can we?

and our interest rate current stands at what?

Compare that to the rest of Europe...

It all depends on the risk of the gamble and the potential loss. The more pessimistic would argue that countries in the eurozone would fancy ruin and bankruptcy if the one-rate-fits-all system fails. I don’t think it would get nearly as bad. The US has some states with economies tens of times bigger than other states’, and growing at a different rate- yet they all do nicely and no-one has gone bankrupt.

As for the rates, I believe the UK one stands at 4% whilst in eurozone it’s 3.25%. The gap is not as big as it used to be, but we would still benefit from a lower interest rate were we to adopt the euro.

and a number are expanding because of what we offer, as a country and a workforce. It has been common knowledge for over 10 years that we do not intend joing the Euro for some time, yet companies have still invested here. Why is that, do you suppose...

Admittedly many companies have confirmed their confidence in the UK by not moving abroad or opening new plants. Partly because of the cheaper cost of employment in the UK though.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    It would mean that greedy corporations including (but not exclusive to) Levi’s, Armani, Adidas, Nike and other clothing companies, practically all makers of hi-fi systems, DVDs, videos, console games and other electronic equipment, car makers and other industries would be forced to break the high-price cartel they have in place in the UK.

The Euro won;t have that effect.

Look at the Levis vs Tesco case, relating to Jeans and the grey market. Its all about market position and the EU supported Levis...
    With a single currency hundreds of thousands in the UK could easily compare how much it costs to buy their products in the Continent against the prices in the UK, and would invariably raise two fingers to the UK franchises and go buy their products elsewhere for as long as we have to pay artificially inflated prices.

I don't think they would, just how easy is it to do your weekly shopping in Carrefours?

For me, it's an hour away, for others...?