Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Political Speeches - A thing of the past?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
"We will fight them on the beaches..."
"Never in the field of human conflict..."
"I have a dream.."
"Ask not what your country can do fo you..."

All classic political speaches, add to that the Gettysburg address and the Winston's Iron Curtain speech...

With the onset of soundbytes and the influence of TV in politics these days seldom do we hear a decent speech. Even GWB didn't rise to the occasion after 11/9 (not that I'm suggesting that he is a good speaker anyway) and that was an event crying out for a rabble rousing and defiant speech (akin to Winston's "Beaches")..Even Maggie Thatcher (who could get a crowd going) is best remembered for her "No, No, No.." speach than anything else

So, is the age of political speeches dead?

Comments

• Options
    Re: Political Speeches - A thing of the past?
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent

So, is the age of political speeches dead?

Perhaps it is as much the listener - and the parameters of same - as it is the speaker?
  • Options
    Certainly I think that the electorate has changed - for example we are generally more cynical about politicians now.

But can anyone fail to be inspied by the defiance that the "Beaches" speech showed? We certainly don't seem to get such inspiration now. I mean, can you think of a single politician who actually inspires people?

When was the last time you thought "good speech" after you had listened to a politician, even a State of the Union address?

Really I don't think "I did not have sex with that woman" really cuts it, does it?
  • Options
    The examples you have given are spaced out over a period of several centuries, and tend to involve "great struggles" of a nation. That's the sort of thing that gets a good orator going. I wouldn't say politically arousing speeches were dead; there just isn't really much to get genuinely politically excited about at the moment.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Vox populi, vox Dei
    The examples you have given are spaced out over a period of several centuries, and tend to involve "great struggles" of a nation.

Actually, the four quotes given were all from the mid-Twentieth Century.

And yeah, GWB is no orator.
  • Options
    I think the fact that we are all so much more cynical now is a big reason behind it. Whenever you listen to Tony Blair, of GWB making a speech, you don't take it for face value. You know that if they are over the top about anything, it will be ignored, and they know that as well. Because of this, they can't be so dramatic about things, as it will be scorned by large amounts of the population.

The type of people who become politicians these days are also not really up to the challenge. Winston Churchill had a passion behind his speeches. Tony Blair tries to please everybody, and come across as a great person, so you can easily read between the lines and see what he is really saying

"I love myself, and I'm talking crap. I love myself, and I'm talking crap."

Politics isn't about politics anymore, its about personal image.
  • Options
    I don't think that polictical speeches are dead. I think that lack of sincerity in a lot politicians (especially Tony Blair) has led people to stop listening.

Having said that, Geoff Hoon really impressed me on QTNY. I think he may play a big role in the future.
  • Options
    I know that in the recent Danish elections campaigns, the way of presenting a speech has been way more important than the speech itself.