Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The Muslims might have a point, y'know...

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I thought that was to deal with the soviet threat, and I don't recall it being a hardship that america protested about...

BTW : I no longer think the soviets are the threat they were once seen to be.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: The Muslims might have a point, y'know...
    Originally posted by AGoldenBoy
    Just a couple of comments on your points - personally I think there should be a comment about attacking Afghanistan. Afghamistan did not attack the US, but they were chosen as the enemy because someone needed bombing. Now I know the argument is that they were harbouring Bin Laden, but I don't think it's quite as clear cut as you make out.

Firstly, I didn't say tha Afghanistan attacked the US, in fact I didn't comment at all suggesting that I didn't need to.

But, out of interest, why isn't it as clear cut?
    America has more of the weapons in question than anyone in the world. This is okay?

No, it isn't.

Now try and take the WMD off of them..
    More to the point, Saddam has banned the weapons inspectors etc for many years. Why act now? It seems a politically motivated decision to me

There is no doubt that 11/9 has given the US the political will to act, something they previously lacked.

If anything, the fact that they haven't acted previously gives lie to many of the anti-war argument. As a consequence of their refusal to felx their muscles previously, the US has actually given Iraq four years to come to a diplomatic solution. Cofi Annan has visited Iraq oon several occasions and met only with more prevarication.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: The Muslims might have a point, y'know...
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent

Firstly, I didn't say tha Afghanistan attacked the US, in fact I didn't comment at all suggesting that I didn't need to.

But, out of interest, why isn't it as clear cut?

I know you didn't say it. I said it, as part of my point. What makes you think I implied you said it?

As far as I could tell you were responding to a post saying lots of Muslim countries had been attacked by the US. For all the other countries in question you gave responses, along the lines of America didn't actually attack them etc. For Afghanistan you didn't comment. I'm not sure why not. The implication I got was that it was obvious why the US attacked them (if that wasn't what you meant, I apologise, but would ask you to clarify what you did mean).

The reasons for it not being as obvious and clear cut as that are the same as I mentioned in the original post. I suggest you re-read that. But basically, the reason it wasn't obvious and justified that the US should attack Afghanistan, is simply the fact that Afghanistan didn't attack the US.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: The Muslims might have a point, y'know...

No, it isn't.

Now try and take the WMD off of them..

There is no doubt that 11/9 has given the US the political will to act, something they previously lacked.

If anything, the fact that they haven't acted previously gives lie to many of the anti-war argument. As a consequence of their refusal to felx their muscles previously, the US has actually given Iraq four years to come to a diplomatic solution. Cofi Annan has visited Iraq oon several occasions and met only with more prevarication.

Well, from these posts it appears you basically agree with me, so why you couldn't just say that I don't know!!:)

I never said I thought Saddam shouldn't be dealt with in some way, my concerns were the reasoning behind deciding to attack now. It appears to be highly politically motivated. They're using 9/11 to justify this, when it isn't connected. It's also very much a vote winner for Bush in a time of economic and financial uncertainty back in the US. It seems designed to get him a second term basically.

To go to war with someone with these as major factors is very worrying.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Muslims might have a point, y'know...
    I know you didn't say it. I said it, as part of my point. What makes you think I implied you said it?

Apologies, I have re-read the post now. I stand corrected..
    For Afghanistan you didn't comment. I'm not sure why not. The implication I got was that it was obvious why the US attacked them (if that wasn't what you meant, I apologise, but would ask you to clarify what you did mean).

The reasons for it not being as obvious and clear cut as that are the same as I mentioned in the original post. I suggest you re-read that. But basically, the reason it wasn't obvious and justified that the US should attack Afghanistan, is simply the fact that Afghanistan didn't attack the US.

No, lets look at the facts then.

The US was attacked by Al Qaeda. Al Quaeda were protected by the Afghan "Govt", and were trained within their borders.

The US asked for them to be handed over.

The Afghan "Govt" refused, thus underlining their support.

By supporting the terrorists the Afghan "Govt" becomes a sponsor, and is therefore a legitimate target.

I'm not sure why there is a problem with that :confused:
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Muslims might have a point, y'know...

Apologies, I have re-read the post now. I stand corrected..

No, lets look at the facts then.

The US was attacked by Al Qaeda. Al Quaeda were protected by the Afghan "Govt", and were trained within their borders.

The US asked for them to be handed over.

The Afghan "Govt" refused, thus underlining their support.

By supporting the terrorists the Afghan "Govt" becomes a sponsor, and is therefore a legitimate target.

I'm not sure why there is a problem with that :confused:

I'm not saying there's a major problem with it (although I'm sure others might argue) I was just saying I don't think it's as clear cut as being able to not comment on it. I think a comment such as you have just made was necessary to show why you felt it was a justifiable attack.

There is certainly an argument there that war was an extreme measure against a country which hadn't actually committed an act of war itself, and that's why I was saying it wasn't clear cut - again, I wasn't saying I disagreed, just that there is room for some debate on that.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Muslims might have a point, y'know...
    There is certainly an argument there that war was an extreme measure against a country which hadn't actually committed an act of war itself, and that's why I was saying it wasn't clear cut - again, I wasn't saying I disagreed, just that there is room for some debate on that.

Hiding, protecting and training the people who carried out the attack, is an act of war.

Cartainly there is an argument about "conspiracy" there, and that is enough to justify an retalliatory attack...