Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Three strikes

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Taken from the front page of the times, Wednesday september 4th 2002
THREE STRIKES RULE FOR CANNABIS SMOKERS
by stewart Tendler
It will soon be "three spliffs and you're out" for cannabis users stopped on the street by police.
By next July people caught once or twice with cannabis for personal use will be allowed to hand over the drug, accept a formal warning on the street and go on their way.
But if they are caught for a third time in 12 months they will be arrested and face heavier penalties, which may include a caution that could be held against them if they go to court for other offences. Repeated offences would lead to a charge. This would mean a court appearance, a fine and a criminal record.
The policy will be outlined in Blackpool today at a national conference on drugs, organized by the association of cheif police officers.
Under the plans, users who refuse to hand over the drug will also be arrested. Cheif constables are expected to ratify the guidelines next month. They will come into force whe the home office reclassifies the drug from Class B to Class C in the misuse of drugs act.
Possesion of class C drugs is not normally an arrestable offence, but David Blunkett, the home seceretary, has agreed to give the police some powers to detain cannabis users.
Anything up to 3g of cannabis - enough for a dozen cigarette-sized spliffs mixed with tobacco - will be accepted as being for personal use. Anyone openly smoking cannabis in front of a police officer will be arrested, as would a user found near children.
Andy Hayman, a deputy assistant commisioner at Scotland yard, said yesterday that the guidelines would give the police sanctions that can be increased to meet repeated use.

Thoughts + comments? im looking in WHSpliff + morrocan rolls direction in particular...
:D
Duffy

Comments

• Options
    Status symbols :D
  • Options
    It’s not as bad as it first appears, once you read between the lines, I don’t think it actually takes anything away from the re-classification situation.

Firstly, how many of us have been caught THREE times in a year, for that to happen I would suggest the vast majority would have to be stupid or going out of their way to get arrested.

Note also, they refer to being caught on the street, i.e. basically they are not going to be looking for it, but if you take the piss by smoking on the street and winding them up, on the third occasion in a year; you’re nicked.

The only real concern I see from this; is the proposed 3 grams limit – but that would soon be dismissed by the courts, so I can’t see them sticking to that.

Easily sorted anyway, if you got more than 3g, leave it safely stashed away at home or just don't smoke in public, when carrying more.

It’s just another bit of confusion being thrown into the pot, at the end of the day we all now where it’s heading – legalisation – this is just the first step.

Thinking about it you can get arrested FIRST time in Taunton for drinking, so from that angle, sounds like a bloody good deal:p
  • Options
    i smoke in the middle of a nature park, definatley not classed as "the street"!!! And cant see too many dibbles walking through nature parks looking for junkies :D
    Duffy
  • Options
    well i smoke mostly at home and dont realy give a toss wether it's legal or not. i've been busted for small amounts of dope 5 times in 35yrs.
    the most expensive was a £100 fine...like i give a toss your honour. one things for sure..no ones going to jail anymore for personal amounts. the bad bit is it can still effect people your age carear wise.
  • Options
    As Mr Spliff says the likelyness of being caught in the street is minimal, I have never had any trouble with the law *touches wood* so I think its to stop people blatently wondering the street !