Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Is E dangerous?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
"Three leading psychologists have provoked an outcry by claiming that the dance drug ecstasy may not be dangerous and that some of its ill-effects may be imaginary. "

Guardian report

Thoughts and comments below \/ \/ \/

Susie :)

Comments

• Options
    Good news for pill takers then. I reckon more research needs to be done though, as its just 3 psychologists.
    Duffy
  • Options
    Think about this:

Government estmates, no doubt well under, is 100 million pills are taken in the UK each year. Yes 100 million!

Thats about 2 million per weekend, even on an average of 4 pills per person per week - that's 500,000 using them every week, and for how many years now too.

If there is major long term problems, one would think they would be sign showing-up somewhere by now!

Any ideas?

:confused:
  • Options
    pretty impressive really....

I mean, over 1mil people taken every weekend and we STILL don't know what the effects are.

Am i the only one that finds that funny?
  • Options
    Am i the only one that finds that funny?
    nope :D
    1 million does sound quite a lot though...
    [pointless question] i wonder what would happen if someone dropped 1 million pills? [/pointless question]
    Duffy
  • Options
    Don't you find it funny? The government will insist on classifying Ecstasy as a class-A drug, claiming it's a dangerous substance that might cause depression and memory loss, and it's been link to the deaths of 5 persons per year on average.

However they more than happy to keep alcohol legal (not that I'm complaining) even though they know it causes depression, memory loss, liver and heart disease, mood alterations and it is directly responsible for the deaths of 100,000 people per year as well as countless assaults, domestic violence, car accidents, anti social behaviour and many other problems.

Something I'm missing? :confused:
  • Options
    This is encouraging news but i doubt the government or the general public will take much notice :(
  • Options
    well if theyre as numb to it as they are with cannabis itl make no difference at all, grrr, government get researchers to find out about the risks of cannabis, find out there hardly are any, then pay no attention to their own study! grrrrrr
    Duffy
  • Options
    sorry i just started ranting a bit there :rolleyes:
    :D
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Ecstasy isn't anymore dangerous than crossing the road but that doesn't mean it's 'good' for your health, it's all about moderation. Ecstasy is without a doubt my fave drug, I've probably done more than 1000 of the little blighters and have to say I still love them, but one day it will be time to stop!

Everything begins with an E! :D
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I really want to do E but am VERY worried about dieing like Leah Betts did on my first one. I mean how much should u drink and should I take half an E first or a whole? What do u feel? Can you drink alcohol with it?
    :confused:
  • Options
    I'm a great fun of the drug myself but my first advice to you, jellygirl16, is not to take it until you are feeling good about yourself doing it. Not because it's dangerous but because if you're really nervous or insecure about taking e you will probably not enjoy it.

Simply be sure to be in good company, in a friendly environment and off you go. Ecstasy is very safe as long as common sense is used- just like with everything. Leah Betts didn't die because of the ecstasy she took- the pill turned out to be pure and free of impurities. She died because she had had no advice or information about what to do after taking the pill. She had heard rumours about the need to drink water in order to keep hydrated, so she thought the more water she drank the better and tragically downed 8 pints of water in an hour. She wasn't dancing or sweating-, which is what people on e usually do- and her body, simply could not eliminate such huge amounts of water from her system. Even mad-for-it clubbers wouldn't need more than 2-3 pints per hour on a night out.

Just have some water handy and drink at least a few sips now and then. Your body will probably crave for water anyway so you'll end up drinking what is needed. I have usually enough with half litre (1 pint) per hour, maybe a bit more if I'm dancing my tits off in a hot crowded club. Some people drink more, some less- it's up to you. I wouldn't do alcohol though, as it will dehydrate you. You can have some non-alcohol energy drink or juice if you want.

If you are clubbing, take a rest from time to time if it's hot, go to the toilets or simply stop dancing and go and talk to people. That's just to ensure you don't overheat.

And that's all you need to be concerned about. With regard to quantities, start with half pill if you are concerned. You will soon know what is the best measure for you. When I started taking e many years ago 1 and a half pills were enough. Nowadays I take 4 + for a full night out (but that's just me, a hopeless junkie ;) ).

Enjoy! There is no better feeling than to spend a night on e with your mates, listening your favourite music with a like-minded crowd. It's the best! :)
  • Options
    Asking Paul Betts, who is quoted in the article as saying the report is "despicable", what he thinks of the matter appears to me as being about as logical as asking most pill-heads their opinion.

It's hard to be objective when you're so close to a subject.
  • Options
    Originally posted by The Saggs
    Asking Paul Betts, who is quoted in the article as saying the report is "despicable", what he thinks of the matter appears to me as being about as logical as asking most pill-heads their opinion.

It's hard to be objective when you're so close to a subject.

So who do we ask and who's opinons do we listen to ...those who have no idea about the drug?

I think that statement was rather silly... if anything, I think an experience on ecstasy gives you a greater understanding!
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Originally posted by Skive
    So who do we ask and who's opinons do we listen to ...those who have no idea about the drug?

Asking Paul Betts; is asking some who has no idea about the drug! However, asking & checking those doing pills is the only real way forward.

He claims his daughter died of E, but as Aladdin has so well stated, she died from consuming too much water!

Very sad, but nothing to do with the E, more to do with lack of information/education.
    A couple of weeks ago I got a call from Dave Hoskins. His son died a couple of years ago after taking ecstasy.

As a result of seeing our evidence Dave had decided to back our calls for legalisation. This is an astonishing turnaround for a man who has undergone the horror of the experience of the death of his child.

It's only a question of time before Paul Betts will finally wake-up!

Full article here
  • Options
    E's ?

yeah the 1st time i ad 1 i thort i wud die or sum shit like that so i munched half n it was ok now i munch upto 6 a night its the best drug ever if u ask me !! :D
  • Options
    is E dangerous ? well the latest advice on the subject is as follows
    .......; yes it is. not it isn't. yes. no. yes. no. yes. no .
    maybe. maybe not. definately. definately not.
    and the highly inteligent people who pump this psycobabble out on a daily basis are supposedly educated. and in thier strange little worlds they wonder why nobody gives a shite what thier saying ! WERE NOT FUCKING LISTENING O.K ! ?
    why would we ?
  • Options

mmmmKay!:D
  • Options
    basically any substance you put in your body has effects. The full extent of the effects of e is not yet know (well publically). Alcohol, coffee, and any other stimulant taken in the wrong quantities is dangerous. Aspirin taken in the wrong quantities is dangerous, God knows how many pills are dropped every weekend up and down the country, and thats just this country and i havent heard of *that* many deaths directly related to the consuption of the drug, so i think the question not whether E is dangerous, but "HOW" dangerous. And danger is a relative term, what one person is able to consume without so much as a gurn, another would be on the floor. I think fundamentally E is not life threatening when used with respect.

my 2 cents :D
  • Options
    Mostv people die from taking E's because they dance all night long and either dont drink enuff water or they drink too much.. u supposed to drink 1 pint of water per hour when ya pillin... The problem when u take pills is ya cant piss properly till u come down, sometimes u can stand over bog knowing u need 1 and u'll be lucky to get a sprinkle out! so if u go mad and drink pint after pint of water then its not good 4 you...

Theres probably a million in one chance that u could be allergic to E's that might kill ya, but then again i know someone who is allergic to peanuts and they could kill him..

One thing i will say tho is i been going out clubbing for about 6 years taking them and there was a point when i was going stupid (4 - 5 ) every weekend..... This does u no good, seems to bring on the midweek blues where u just feel shit and very wednsday i used to feel well easy to wind up and go off on one!

But ive been taking them for a long time i wud say i was pretty sane, live a normal live and some of my mates have been taking them since early 90's and they just the same as they always been..

U just gotta know your limits.. thats the bottom live and dont take em for granted either.. theyre there to be used for fun not to depend on to have a good time which i know now..
  • Options

I think that statement was rather silly... if anything, I think an experience on ecstasy gives you a greater understanding!

I would rather trust a scientist who has carried out impartial tests on the neurological effects of MDMA than a gurning raver clutching his bottle of Volvic or an angry parent grieving for a lost child.

I've done pills and they've been great, but I couldn't categorically say that they are harmless; in fact my opinion is that they probably do cause long term brain damage. Or they might not. Who knows? not you or I that's for sure.
  • Options
    I would rather trust a scientist who has carried out impartial tests on the neurological effects of MDMA than a gurning raver clutching his bottle of Volvic or an angry parent grieving for a lost child.

With so many studies by these so called 'experts' conflicting each other, what exactly is there to be learnt so far? The problem is that if these scientist's look so hard enough to find something they will, whether it's fact or not - so what are we to believe?

If you think about it there are plenty of people out there who have been doin pills for 10yrs+ - do you really not think their opinion qualify's?

I've been doing them for 5-6yrs and my opinion of them has remained pretty much the same throughout the time I've been using them. I really don't believe there's much wrong with them when used in moderation, but as with any drug, abuse it, and you take the risk that you will suffer in later life.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options

I would rather trust a scientist who has carried out impartial tests on the neurological effects of MDMA

which scientist ? the ones saying yes..or the ones saying no ?
    scientists have decided that to much caffiene is bad for us.
    or have they. scientists are now saying a lot of caffiene is good for us.
    fat is bad for us..not long ago all fat was bad for us. now we need a certain ammount af fat to keep us healthy.
    who you gonna believe ?
  • Options
    Is E dangerous ? Yes
    Do I worry about long term health risks to myself ? Yes
    Is it still worth it ? Yes
  • Options
    E is not dangerous, its how you use it and like all drugs you have to give it some respect and you will get on fine.

I have been using it for 8 years and I estimate I have probably done well over a 1500 anything ranging form 1 a night to 12 a night, the worst thing I have ever had is to throw up and then be fine and get back on the dance floor.

Also maybe a few come downs, tuesday rolls around and sometimes get a bit depressed, then I remember I was caining it at the weekend and forget about it

Although there is always the possibility of an alergic reaction to any chemical.

:D
  • Options
    ebb, keepin it formal and to the point :D
    Duffy
  • Options
    Originally posted by CRAZYREDEYES
    E is not dangerous

Thats an amazingly naive statment, perhaps in the short term its is resonably safe, I certainly don't consider it a risk in the short term, however in the long term it could be dangerous, it may not be dangerous, but nobody really knows including yourself.

One thing you do know for sure, it has and continues to kill people, it leaves people in intensive care, in casualty and in the less extreme cases ill, something doesn't have to be lethal to be dangerous.
  • Options

If you think about it there are plenty of people out there who have been doin pills for 10yrs+ - do you really not think their opinion qualify's?

I've been doing them for about eight years so my opinion qualifies too. This isn't about who's done the most pills, it's about whether or not they are they harmless.

I think ebb summed it up quite nicely so I'll leave it.
  • Options
    no drug is harmless, and im pretty sure everyone in here would agree with that.
  • Options
    I've been doing them for about eight years so my opinion qualifies too. This isn't about who's done the most pills, it's about whether or not they are they harmless.

It seems you completely missed the point of my post.

I was trying to point out that if ecstasy was damaging in the long term, then people who have been doing them for years, who are supposedly more likely to be depressed, would obviously have an opinon worth listening to! Do you not agree?

The fact is that there has been no ecstasy fallout so far, if ecstasy does cause depression where are all the ex ecstasy users checking into clinics for depression? Maybe it takes longer than 10-20yrs, and in that case the best people to listen to and study are still the pill heads who have been doing ecstasy since the 80's! Until we get real hard proof than we should be wary of what we believe, especially when it comes from some wacky scientists who all seem to disagree with one another.

Do you understand what I was trying to convey to you now?

I don't pretend knopw whether ecstasy is safe or not, it's just that your original post suggested that you thought us ecstasy users don't have an opinion worth listening to when compared to these white coated wankers. On the contrary I think we should be listened now to more than ever!
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options

It seems you completely missed the point of my post.

I was trying to point out that if ecstasy was damaging in the long term, then people who have been doing them for years, who are supposedly more likely to be depressed, would obviously have an opinon worth listening to! Do you not agree?

The fact is that there has been no ecstasy fallout so far, if ecstasy does cause depression where are all the ex ecstasy users checking into clinics for depression? Maybe it takes longer than 10-20yrs, and in that case the best people to listen to and study are still the pill heads who have been doing ecstasy since the 80's! Until we get real hard proof than we should be wary of what we believe, especially when it comes from some wacky scientists who all seem to disagree with one another.

Do you understand what I was trying to convey to you now?

I don't pretend knopw whether ecstasy is safe or not, it's just that your original post suggested that you thought us ecstasy users don't have an opinion worth listening to when compared to these white coated wankers. On the contrary I think we should be listened now to more than ever!

I see what you're saying but you too seem to have missed the point of my first post. What I was trying to say is that in discussions of this nature (more in the outside world than on this board I'm happy to observe) you will have a lot of pantomime "oh yes it is" "oh no it isn't" shouting without really getting to the nub of the argument. It sometimes takes someone (eg a scientist) with no preconceptions to look at the question objectively and give a straight answer.

Anyway, if you're off clubbing this weekend - grind some teeth for me!