Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

quitting

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hi all

just wondering how much those nicotine inhalers are to buy (im serious about quitting smoking now)

cheers

Comments

• Options
    Sorry this is no help coz i've never smoked so i dont know the answer to your question but i just wanted to say i hope things work out ok with you quitting, hope you manage to do it! All the best. xx.
  • Options
    If you wanna seriously pack in smoking then go see your doctor. You can get the patches on prescription and work out very cheap. Obviously the doctor will know your history and be able to check wether you have any problems as to why you cant use them. I packed in a few years ago with the patches and they caused me no problems. However after having a drink whilst on holiday and getting fairly drunk, me silly fool had a fag !!!!!!!!!!
    Stupid move. I was back on fags again. I tried to pack in again quite recently but found for some reason the patches were irritating me and just could not keep them on. But you never know they may be ok for you.

Good luck, I hope you do manage to pack in :D
  • Options
    cheers:)
    gettin paid on friday...first thing im gonna do is quit.

one thing though...on those nicotine supplements do you still roast for a fag?
  • Options
    Thats what everyone says I am gonna quit Friday or after tonight etc etc, If you are really serious about quitting then quit now and stop putting it off... You will feel better! And forget the Nicotene Patched or Inhalers and try good Old fashion Will Power ;)
  • Options
    quitting is about willpower not using things to help you stop! you should be asble to do it yourself. well done for tryin to quit! :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by madinthenut
    Thats what everyone says I am gonna quit Friday or after tonight etc etc, If you are really serious about quitting then quit now and stop putting it off... You will feel better! And forget the Nicotene Patched or Inhalers and try good Old fashion Will Power ;)

im actually waiting for friday because until then i am completely skint apart from cigarettes.

i need the money so that i can spend it on something else to keep my mind of smoking.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Braidsta

one thing though...on those nicotine supplements do you still roast for a fag? [/B]

NO The only thing id say is you just feel like you should be having a fag, its hard to describe but shall we say you normally enjoy a fag after a meal, then you just feel that you should be having a smoke (or at least thats what I felt) , its changing your routine so that if you would normally have fag say in a morning do something else, just try to keep busy. I can honestly say when I had the patches the 1st time I had no problems quitting.

For the people saying use willpower, I get the impression that your non smokers.

Nicotine is addictive!!!!!!!!!

Patches, make it a lot easier to quit because with the patches you are getting nicotine and you gradually lower the dose, thus making it easier to quit. If willpower was all it took why do you think thousands of people rely on patches etc??
    Willpower may be the answer if you dont smoke many fags, or unless there are drastic measures, say like someone being told by the doctor quit or you will die (like my father) then id say willpower would come into it. But for the vast majority of people they need help...................and why not get the help, even if it does consist of patches.

Braidsta I think long as you are in the right frame of mind then the chances are that you will stop smoking. If your not ready then you wont. Once you decide which day youre packing in, make sure that you dont put yourself in the position where you might want a fag, like if you fancy a fag when you first get up change your routine, have breakfast instead. Its all about changing your routine, anyway thats what I feel, I cant speak for anyone else.

But I wish you luck, let me know how you get on , I really hope you manage to quit :)
  • Options
    Good luck Braidsta

You don't have to do it just by willpower alone, do whatever's right for you.

http://www.thesite.org/info/drugs/smoking/nicotine_replacement.html
  • Options
    I'm quitting to - haven't had one today. I think I'll find the not smoking whilst drinking bit the hardest. Let me know how you get on. I'm going cold turkey but might have to resort to some NRT soon!
  • Options
    I gave up cold turkey, that wasnt great I must admit but your'll be glad you did when you do.

The research I read mentioned that its not always how many you smoke that indicates how addicted you are, its how long you can go in the morning before you have one. Over half an hour and it should be that hard, well comparitively.

My sister smoked for 15years and quit, I was well chuffed for her! She didnt take the patches though, she was prescribed that anti-depressant which helps you quit, sorry I cant remember a name, ask your doc. She said that by the end of the first week taking it she just didnt feel like smoking!

I'm not sure how she got a script for it though, she's a nurse so maybe she pulled a few strings!
  • Options
    For the people saying use willpower, I get the impression that your non smokers.
    innit:).

thats one reason stopping me from having confidence at school when i wanted to quit.
    the mates i had there didnt smoke, so to them a nicotine addiction was like biting your nails or not being able to leave the house without a slice of toast:).
    i'm glad i've found some people who understand what it's like at last, and i'm also glad to find people who have quit (i began to think that quitting was an urban legend or soemthing...hear about thousands of people quitting but never met a single one lol)

well i always have a smoke after a meal, when i get up, when i listen to music and when i walk my dog. when i walk to work, when im on my break, when....hehe. basically i've found the routine im in and im gonna try avoiding the situations (i.e. dont listen to music and maybe chew gum after meals).

cheers for the support and thanks karla for the link

Braidsta

edited to say: shit...it says i have to be 18 to get hold of patches etc.:(
  • Options
    If anything it should be the non-smokers that are happy that you're quitting! Well done to you for wanting to quit and if you really are serious about it then go to the doctors and ask them for advice. The doctors will be glad that you're quitting and give you all the help they can.

Will power is a good thing to stop smoking on but believe me it's hard work. Sometimes a little help from patches etc is needed. But like someone else said, it's the changing of the routine that's the killer. Like your morning fag, get up and keep busy so it takes your mind off the pause in your routine.

And just ignore the people who say "piece of piss with willpower" as i'll tell you now, it's a bloody hard thing to quit smoking but in the end it's well worth it. So good luck.
  • Options
    I'm going to get some gum as its been 4 days and I'm rattlin for the nicotine. My willpower is wearing off.
  • Options
    Go for it!

You may find that chewing gum and eating mints is a good way to stop you smoking. It feeds that habit that you have for having something in your mouth.
  • Options
    Just don't binge on Mars bars as a way of compensating!
  • Options
    Originally posted by barbie
    I'm going to get some gum as its been 4 days and I'm rattlin for the nicotine. My willpower is wearing off.

You will most probably be over the worst now. 4 days........well done. But always remember you at some point in your life may feel tempted to have a ciggie again, as I said previously I gave up smoking and after having a drink I fancied a smoke and was back on them again.
    One thing you may notice is that you want to eat more. I deffinately did, its not the fact that your hungry its more that you need to do something with your hands, so just go careful not to over indulge to much on the choccy biccies;)

Well done on your 4 days as a non smoker:)
  • Options
    I am weak! I had two cigarettes last night. I saw my (recent) ex out with his girlfriend. I knew they were together but hadn't actually seen them together before. A minor slip-up though... I'm back onto not smoking again now. Argh!
  • Options
    Hi All !

Newbie Alert :)

When I first attempted to quit smoking I lasted for 2 1/2 months.

Since then I've been brutal, most attempts lasting a few days before I gorge myself on cancer sticks.

My new idea is when I try to quit and fail, try a new brand which is weaker.

I used to smoke John Player Blue (Dublin Knacker !!!! NOT )

Since I had my brainwave I tried to quit once (Failed although word tried might have given that away)

Then I went onto Silk Cut Purple and I smoke roughly same amount per day as before (20), so no "you smoke more with weaker fags" quips.

Eventually i'll try again and swith to silk cut blue, ultra etc.

Similar method to patches, more drawn out, all the pleasure still there.

Please don't flame mail me, i'm a virgin at this stuff.

If I broke any rules and regulations, politely inform me and i'll adapt.

Regards
    :cool: :cool: :cool:
  • Options
    Originally posted by squat_tom
    Just don't binge on Mars bars as a way of compensating!

Very true :) Like Becky said you will want to eat a lot more.

Ciggies are appetite surpressants and once you stop smoking your appetite will return to the healthy one it's supposed to be. This is where you need willpower! To resist choccie biscuits.
    Best bit of advice is eat shit loads of salads, jacket tatas, fruit to fill yourself up instead of junkfood. Quite a lot of people just eat and eat when they quit then start again when they put the weight on. Tempting prospect but not worth it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Carolina

Quite a lot of people just eat and eat when they quit then start again when they put the weight on. Tempting prospect but not worth it.

I agree completely, I gained about two stone when I first quit, then went back on them (not to lose weight !) and gradually lost most extra weight.

I found myself cooking fried food snacks and eating lots of eggs and stuff.
    Normally i'd be eating sandwich's etc.

So yeah I do agree that people when quitting need to be wary of the new lifestyle they find themselves drawn into.

Make conscious efforts to eat the right food, especially highly water based foods like fruit, veg etc.

Thats my 2 cents !
  • Options
    Originally posted by Irish Male 22 !

I agree completely, I gained about two stone when I first quit, then went back on them (not to lose weight !) and gradually lost most extra weight.

Ditto. I put on the weight through eating the wrong foods and probably wouldn't have put it on that much if i had been sensible.

I started again as well but found after a while the weight levelled out and i know even when smoking if i started to pig out on rubbish again the weight would go straight back on.

It's not really the smoking that does it, just the fact that sometimes we need to control the binge eating :)
  • Options
    :(:(:(
    since i started this thread I've tried quittin three times...still cant do it.

I feel like a loser and now for the past two days I've got a proppa sick pain in my chest. Probably to do with smoking.

I'm gonna try the gum when i get paid (end of month)...hopefully it'll work.
    :(
  • Options

I feel like a loser and now for the past two days I've got a proppa sick pain in my chest. Probably to do with smoking.

:mad: :mad: :mad: Sorry its not going according to plan. What if you don't 'ban' yourself from smoking? I now don't really smoke in the week but if I'm out at the weekend having a few sociable beverages, I'll have a couple of fags. Maybe this approach might work for you? I've also got a weird inhalator thing and some herbal fags from Holland and Barrett. They're minging though, I wouldn't recommend them. Inhalator is alright but I only use it in private!!!
  • Options

The funny feeling in your chest might be your lung tissue starting to give itself a good clear out. It doesn't last forever and you'll start feeling better soon. :)

You could call Quitline for some more advice:
    Quitline
    Helpline for smokers who want to stop & people trying to remain as ex-smokers.
    Telephone: 0800 002200
  • Options
    my husband was prescribed Zyban to help him quit. hes been smoking since he was about 13 and is now 32, he started taking it just over a couple of weeks ago, and he hasnt smoked since last thursday night - he just hasnt felt like it. Its supposed to take away the withdrawal symptoms, and for him its really worked. I think youre supposed to take it for a couple of months to get it properly out of your system, but im really pleased with him. I didnt really believe it would work, as all his mates at work smoke, and they have a smoking room, and its a social thing, but he just hasnt had the urge - he even went out on friday night and didnt want to smoke - this is after only 2 weeks! I dont know if Zyban is suitable for everyone, but im impressed with it anyway.
  • Options

So whats your downfall?
    When Do you find its at its worst?
    How long have you managed to go without a ciggie?

Youre not a loser..................you are just someone who may have to try a few times to pack in. Maybe you are not totally in the right frame of mind? I really beleive that if your not in the right frame of mind you will fail.

Just give it another bash, and try to avoid the places that you feel like smoking:)
  • Options
    :) cheers...i feel a bit better now that i know the pain is probably just the cleaning process.
    today I've had one cigarette, yesterday i had 8...pretty bad but better than 30+ heh.

Barbie, how much was your inhalor thing? I'm gonna give it a go.
    cheers everyone for the help again:)
  • Options
    :) cheers...i feel a bit better now that i know the pain is probably just the cleaning process.
    today I've had one cigarette, yesterday i had 8...pretty bad but better than 30+ heh.

Barbie, how much was your inhalor thing? I'm gonna give it a go.
    cheers everyone for the help again:)
    Braidsta, I've given up many a time before, so don't beat yourself up over it. You're right, one is better than 30+ so give yourself a break!

The inhalator was about £5, I got it from Boots. You get 6 'cartridges' with it which have nicotine in. You're meant to use it quite a lot though, like 8 cartridges a day or something. Its useful to have as backup but I don't think I could use it as much as they suggest. Its worth a go I reckon.
  • Options
    :)

Well done :D

See you can do it:D
  • Options
    Firstly I would like to say congrats to anyone who has even tried to give up as that is the most important step you can take - knowing that you want to give up on the addiction.:thumb:

I do *or should I say did* smoke and have done for about 10 years now - quitting is bloody hard work. So far I have managed to give up this time round for nearly 2 weeks *big pat on back for me* and I have to say that this has been through pure willpower alone. :D

The longest I have managed to quit so far is 2 months :mad: but I am hoping to fulfill my dream of not going back to cigarettes.

My trick this time round is that I cut down a hell of a lot before even trying to stop. I used to smoke about 20 a day *or 20 in an evening if I was out on the piss :( *, thought about stopping so gradually cut down til it was 10 a day, then 5 a day then I stopped.

I have to admit to finding myself sucking on a hell of a lot of lollipops!!!!! I think this helps cos you are still doing something with your hand and mouth that is similar to that of smoking a ciggie. :rolleyes: Well it works for me anyway.

I have even been down the pub with my mates and not had any cigs. Although I must admit that it is easier if I am already out with friends that don't smoke.

Hope you manage to quit, but if you don't then don't beat yourself up about it because it really is difficult, that's why it's an addiction! Just try again when you next feel ready for the challenge.

Good luck to all thesiters who are trying to beat the demon! :D