Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Does the sentence fit the crime?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
With the events recently regarding the missing girls I wonder what people think about the sentence the offenders will get?
Thats when they have the evidence etc and its proven that whoever it is did

I personally think that the whole of the system is totally wrong.

I say lock em up and throw away the key, let them suffer how they have made the whole family suffer. These families will never ever be the same.

Its the same as any crime the sentencing is totally pathetic, offenders get a slap on the back and told "there you go Johnny dont do it again " its CRAP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then we have young offenders, they are sent to young offenders institutes. I wonder if any of you have ever been in one? I used to work in one. They have everything they need, Colour T.V, C.D, Computers, Full music Facilities,D.J room, Go on holidays etc. They have comitted several crimes, some really violent or sex type crimes to get put into the same type of place I worked and they get all this?? Then when they leave the institute they are given a flat, money to furnish it and all the rest.

If prison was so bad then why do people re-offend? It cant be that bad otherwise if you had been there once you wouldnt go back again.

Comments

• Options
    well alot of people may argue at my views i dont think perverts and pedophiles should be locked up and have the key thrown away

i think there families and close friends of the children in question should be allowed 30minutes a baseball bat and a gun in a tiny room with the bastard....and if that doesnt kill him well they need another 10 minutes!
    i think murders should be sentenced to death no questions asked it..they should die slowly and painfully just like the victims suffered.
    jail should be used for thiefs ect,and prisons should be stripped bare of all luxurys
    kids nowadays end up in young offenders because its the easy way out.
  • Options
    jails changed a bit then. borstal and hard hard labour for me.
    then strangeworld. a cell designed by mean victorians, just big enough for one man to have a bad time in....in the 80s there were 4 to a cell. no toilets. no running water and certainly no tellys and stuff ! shiyt in a bucket in a cell full of men. eat in the cell. 23hrs a day in the cell.24hrs if it was raining.
    and that is how i think jail should be. HARD.
    as for sentencing...i believe there should be local and regional courts, staffed by locals. with the guidance of a trained court clerk and magistrate the people of the locality where the crime was committed should do the sentencing.
    most areas would try to outdo one another for a reputation for toughness when it comes to burglars car crims etc. that way burglars would avoid certain areas knowing if they get caught they'll get 10yrs not probation.
    victimless crimes like smoking pot would be safer in one area than another. local jails staffed by local people as well.
    crimes aginst people are the worst and should be severley dealt with.
  • Options
    I'm afraid I can't agree with your achingly simplisic views-surely the point of the penal system is to rehabilitate offenders, not turn them into bitter more dangerous people. I accept the notion that the system isn't working-there is still a massive proportion of ex-cons reoffending-but thats not an excuse for turning the system into one purely motivated by revenge. Those responsible for the current murders should be taken out of society until they no longer pose a threat to the public at large-theres the classic Hindley case,someone who most probably poses no threat to anyone now but will never be released because of a vindictive population who would almost certainly kill her on the spot. On a personal level I'm a victim of a very serious assault. However I do not wish to see my attackers go to prison 'to make them suffer.' I'd much rather see them straighten out and if that means them staying in the community then so be it. If we shunned everyone ever convicted of a crime we'd be creating a super group of criminals who would have to reoffend to survive.
  • Options
    PTic

I honestly cant see how you feel that way, I find it hard to understand that you have had a vicious attack but you are ok that these people may do it again in your community?

What are your views on peadopiles? any form of sex offender?
    Just let them live next door to you and your little family which consists of Husband, wife, Son aged 4, daughter aged 8 ( this is just an example) and you would be ok that a sex offender is right next door to you.
    I bet you would be amazed at how many people are on the sex register could be living just round the corner from you. But youd be happy with that because someone in a office has told you that its ok he or she has been rehabilitated.

No lock em up and throw away the key they could never do it to anyone again.

Rockerchick I did think of your suggestion but 30 mins of suffering is that enough?
  • Options
    PTic.you'll make a good social worker while your grandma is being murded in her bed.
    prison has always been hard and always should be. prison has never rehabilitated a soul.
    prison is about punishment. nothing to do with revenge.
    all through history there have been petty thieves, master safe breakers, cat burglars, carear criminals . there always will be.
    in our modern "enlightened" times we decide it's much better to be nice and helpfull to the baddies....lets teach them and care about them. look where it's got us.
    as an ex baddie , believe me we laugh at the do gooders who appear in the jails with thier bibles and sociology degrees. get what we can from em, and then spit em out.
    get real.
  • Options
    Right, this isn't eaxcatly an opinion on the matter, I'm too tired to think about it.
    But I'd like to remind people that they'd have to think about if this person was wrongly convicted? If this person was wrongly convicted and sentenced to death, how would his/her family feel then?
    It is not a flawless system.
  • Options
    i disagree with the death penalty because the police have a wonderfull track record of locking up the innocent, often knowingly. i also disagree with it for the guilty who attack people, rape old ladies, rob old men, kill children. death is the easy way out. peodaphiles should be given a choice.....chemical castration, takes away thier urges, making my children safer. the choice would be...keep your urges stay in jail. parole when you have been "made" safe.
    and myraha hindley should rot in jail. what the fuck has it got to do with wether or not she's a dangour to society anymore ?
    well what the fuck does that have to do with it ?
    she should be there till she dies because that is what the people of this land want. caring compasionate family people. whoever described these people as being vindictive is a tosser.
    if people know they will never see the light of day ever again it might help put others off.
    and yes she would be killed if she was released. so let her rot..
    that can be the only wages her particular crime pays.
  • Options
    I don't agree with capital punishment for the reason Lorna mentioned and because it is more than a little hypocritical.

'Don't murder, but if you do, we'll kill you'

It wouldn't be so bad if it acted as a deterrant, but it doesn't.
  • Options
    I don't believe in all this rehabiliation rubbish. I don't see how anybody can seriously believe that all it takes to make a violent sex offender "better" is a couple of sessions of therapy and a pat on the back.

Prisons should be stripped bare of all the luxuries they now have. Get rid of the colour TV's, get rid of the day trips out and go back to the way things were... hard labour and hard conditions. That should be more effective than pussy-footing around the prisoners, trying to "understand" them and their "rights." Pah, once you commit a serious crime, I believe you lose the privilege of those rights.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    I don't agree with capital punishment for the reason Lorna mentioned and because it is more than a little hypocritical.

okay so some people are wrongly convicted i was referring to those to whom admit in some ways....
    beckyboo if i was in a room with the man that harmed my children or any of my family i bare fisted wouldnt need half an hour!

and bumblebee im sorry to be so "hypocritical" in a way
    but dont you think that the victim of that murder had a right to live,if the victim didnt why should the murderer?
    why i cant stand is i know alot of people my age some close friends of mine afew abit older theyve been sent into young offenders and come out supposedly rehibilitated,but because they missed school and have a record most employers wont touch them with a barge pole all this the youth of today crap,and all those people id say 10 at least all under 21,that i know alone they cant get a job there not in school there living in council houses on benifits,working people like you pay for them to live eat sleep and all 10 that i know still comit crimes,theft,gbh and they all take drugs..and claim dole wouldnt they just petty criminals be better off inside?
    and as for murders....well dont even start me i cant see why they have the right to breathe let alone walk the streets.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee

So whats the deterrent? How would you stop horrific crimes or even the constant re-offenders?

Rockerchick exactly : you wouldnt need 30 mins ( i was originally going off your statement) but then if it only took you 10 mins has the offender suffered for his or her actions? Id say not.

And for the people who say an offender (especially for a violent crime etc ) shouldnt suffer id ask you why not ??? They caused suffering to the whole family and friends, the family has lost their loved one forever.

Morrocan roll I vote you into the government.............Get rid of the tossers and have someone from the real world in. A lot of what you have said I agree totally.
  • Options
    BumbleBee

I can certainly empathise with you on the whole paedophile debate-my point was that these sex fiends shouldn't ever be put in the position where they can do harm but be kept locked up away from innocents. I think you miss the point when you cite the sex offenders register-just how many on it really pose a danger? Your attitude reminds me of those 'pedo'(sic) lynch mobs a few years back where castration was the aim. Surely if those blighted with a sex crime conviction were kept behind bars everybody's happy?-your pro-castration mob's contented, possible victim's are safe and us 'do-gooders' are hunky dory knowing that a tradgedy has been averted. My gripe was essentially at the judicial system as it stands-those who are convicted of terrible charges should be subject to years of tests by psychiatrists and councillors-should the convict not face up to his/her crime then the key would be literally thrown away. I'm all for keeping them behind bars as long as it takes to prove their rehabilitation.

morrocan roll

I appreciate that prison is supposed to be hard and so it should be. The doctrine i'm describing is that which both punishes and rehabilitates-that which successive governments have tried and failed to do. You make the point that there have always been 'baddies' since time began which is completely true-thats why we have prisons today-some are never going to leave that life, which is up to them. You say you are an ex-baddie-what made you choose a different lifestyle?
  • Options
    quote: [myraha hindley should rot in jail. what the fuck has it got to do with wether or not she's a dangour to society anymore ?
    well what the fuck does that have to do with it ?
    she should be there till she dies because that is what the people of this land want. caring compasionate family people. whoever described these people as being vindictive is a tosser.]

if thats what you think why aren't all so called 'baddies' not unlike yourself still in prison? I'm sure all 'family people' would be more than happy to see all prisoners put to death and why not? Your common thief and thug puts communities more on edge than mass murderers do. Its offences like OAPs getting the shit beaten out of them that completely destroys any community trust.
    I called the general Great British population vindictive because they plainly are(think Portsmouth paedophile riots). They are a disgrace for letting a massive proportion of children suffer abuse at the hands of their parents. And this happens partly because everyone is so happy to jump on the paedophile bandwagon, thus ignoring the main cause of child abuse, their 'loving' parents. People subscribe to the whole media frenzy surrounding high profile cases, eg Sarah Payne, while completely ignoring the welfare of their own children. It is well documented that abuse in the home is astronomically more frequent than that commited by total strangers. Look it up if you don't believe me.
  • Options
    because jails were "hard" and visiting very restricted for family kids etc i decided it was a mugs game.
    i was doing myself or my family no favours.
    and i'd made enough money to semi retire before i was 40.
    but seriously, without the money i'd had enough of missing my family and living in the worst conditions that you can't begin to imagine. seems all thats changed...a lot.
    to some guys jail must be a much easier and more interesting life than they'll ever achieve on the outside.
    some people have to live in a bedsit with no family, few or no friends with the prospect of earning what..£150 a week for working thier nuts off in some shit job. thier bedsit rent and running costs come to over a £100 a week.....in other words thier going nowhere forever except work. some people cant handle that and cannot better thier situation. so the powers that be offer them a room , three squares a day, baccy and weed, a little education, close friends , clean sheets, a t.v and stereo, video lounge.....and no responsibility.
    yes i think i'd be reoffending and leaving my finger prints all over the place....lock me up i wanna go back to my friends in that nice warm jail. not if it's a cold hard jail.
  • Options
    Originally posted by PTic
    BumbleBee

I think you miss the point when you cite the sex offenders register-just how many on it really pose a danger? Your attitude reminds me of those 'pedo'(sic) lynch mobs a few years back where castration was the aim.

Excuse me? What the fuck are you talking about?

I didn't mention the sex offenders register at all? I think you are getting me confused with another poster.

What you say is perfectly reasoned, but please don't aim it at me because I didn't mention anything about that which you refer too. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    'because jails were "hard" and visiting very restricted for family kids etc i decided it was a mugs game.
    i was doing myself or my family no favours'

Thats sort of what I was trying to say-jail shouldn't be a soft option. I understand that the prison ethos is one of punishment but that has led to your complete rehabilitation-prison did its job. Equally fully do I agree that prison is no longer a deterrant-it should be a last resort, not an easy option. Thats not to say that its re-education aims should be thrown out though. I think that the real problem here is that of society at large - people are forced into what are effectively slave labour jobs, which give less rewards than a stay in custody. Surely a policy of social integration is the way forward. Must keep in mind that this has been promised for decades though, while nothing has been done.
  • Options
    people are forced into what are effectively slave labour jobs, which give less rewards than a stay in custody.

Yes, lets blame capitalism. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
  • Options

I didn't mention the sex offenders register at all? I think you are getting me confused with another poster.

terribly sorry BumbleBee, it was aimed at the laughable BeckyBoo.i've been in the boozer for a good few hours this afternoon- such similar names confuse me
  • Options
    PTic - if you press the button marked 'quote' underneath a persons message you can quote in the traditional way.

I think I agree with what you say, but my brain is frazzled from the heat! :(
  • Options
    'Yes, lets blame capitalism.' :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

although I can see this as a fairly tongue in cheek point(?!) its quite a good one - every system has its own areas of deprivation which create so-called 'misfits'. its not about demonising any one system but capitalism surely does owe something to these people who suffer at the hands of a rich minority.Don't get me wrong, I'm all for capitalism over any other system at the moment. The variety of Communist teachings left great swathes of people desparate as well.
  • Options

although I can see this as a fairly tongue in cheek point(?!)

Too right!
  • Options
    Just checking!
  • Options
    i know im going off the topic abit and ALOT of you wont agree with this comment,but i think parents in SOME not all please note but some cases and not nessicairly(sp) noted serious cases,parents are partly to blame for pedophiles and i dont mean every single parents walking.......but sometimes ive walked down the street and seen children young girls as young as 4 or 5 wearing short skirts and little tops.....dont u think this looks appealing to sum dirty old bastards?!!!

i dont find it appropriate at all for a child as young as such to be wearing such well scantily clad outfits....not at least until they were at a age to maker their own decisions and take their own risks..
    i do apologise before hand to anybody who doesnt agree with my views but im entitled to my own opinion
  • Options
    rockerchick - I echo your sentiments exactly.

Some people might claim that parents have every right to dress their children the way they see fit, and that their children should be safe regardless, yet we know that sometimes they're not.

Some people say that women who dress provocatively 'deserve' to be raped, but they don't, in the same way that young children who dress than way don't deserve to be lusted after in such a way.

However, women can decide for themselves what they wear. Some parent are irresponsible and allow their children to dress like little harlots.

I was at a xmas party for children and the stuff some of them were wearing put me to shame. :eek: I wouldn't even dress at tartily as these young girls were.

I know it shouldn't matter what young kids wear, but there is a time and place for everything, kids can dress that way when they grow up and are emotionally secure enough to cope with what comes along with it, namely lust.
  • Options

terribly sorry BumbleBee, it was aimed at the laughable BeckyBoo.i've been in the boozer for a good few hours this afternoon- such similar names confuse me

Er excuse me this aint no laughable subject ok. My point is sex offenders DO live in the community. Do you want one next to you?????
    I think if youv`e been at the boozer all afternoon you shut the fuck up and come back when youre sober !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    rockerchic you are so right there.
    To the kids its oohh mammy this is gorgeous the little cropped tops and short skirts, but to a dirty horrible old man that little girl has just made his day. Its disgusting and I feel sick at the thoughts some of these sickos have.
  • Options
    im happy someone agrees with me!!
  • Options
    Bumblebee, Beckyboo, rockerchick I agree with you on the point about the clothes some young girls wear today.

Walk into any clothes store aimed at children and you'll see Mini-me versions of some of the tat in clothes stores aimed at older women. Crop tops, short skirts, knee high boots and the like. It's some parents who make me sick... the mothers who rant on about how so-and-so should be locked up for perving, while her little nine year old Chereece (wild stab in the dark at the name here) stands next to her, make up slapped on, wearing a crop top and a mni skirt to put many older girls to shame.

I personally wouldn't be seen dead in some of the flimsy pieces of material these girls choose to wear, perhaps because I've been brought up to have some degree of personal dignity. Is it not the responsibility of the parents to make sure that their child doesn't go out looking like a cheap tart, thereby making themselves more of a target? If the child picks out a dress which wouldn't look out of place in a seedy pop video, then it's the parents job to say no to the child.

I'm not saying that the girls who wear these clothes deserve to become lusted after by perverts, far from it. I am simply saying that it makes them more likely to be leered at by the aforementioned perverts. I'm also not saying that we should all now proceed to dress children in smocks and burkhas... merely to dress them in ways suitable for their age.

When the clothing companies who make these clothes stop making them, and the stores which stock them stop doing so (I won't name names), then maybe there'll be less risk for children. The parents have to stop buying the clothes. There's no point locking up sex offenders and the like, if the parents of children (especially young girls) are going to let them go out looking like whores, and that's the cold truth of it.
  • Options
    A peadophile is a peodophile, I don't think they would really care if a little kid was wearing a little dress or baggy trousers. Remember little boys too. I don't really like to see little kids in "sexy" clothes but in the end, it's fashion (supposedly). Not an invitation.

FFS, tonight I wore jeans and a t shirt and still got my arse groped by some slimy git down Broad Street, must have been desperate.
  • Options
    whether or not its in vogue, parents should cast a responsible eye over their offspring's clothes-although provocative clothes will arouse paedophiles(notice the spelling,the word comes from 'paidi' or child, and 'philic', that which implies love) why would any caring parent want to sexualise a child so young? I think that that sort of decision could be termed as one of abuse and would constitute as much of a threat to the child as the predatoey paedophile does.