Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Anixety/meds/family

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've been suffering from anxiety for nerly two years, and i haven't been outside in over a year, as if i get panicky and really light headed i sometimes faint, and I've started waking up in a middle of a panic attack lately, I've been given fluoxetine to take, but I'm scared to take it, my family keep asking me everyday when am i going to start taking and i always say i don't know, and dad's said that I'm putting stress onto the family, and kind off feels like I'm being pressed/pushed into a corner, i don't know what to do anymore, i just want it all to stop.
Any advice on this, please..

Comments

• Options
    Hey! Nice to see you found your way to posting a thread. :) Opening up (even on a forum) is a big step in itself so good on you.

Sorry to hear you're having such a rough time. Firstly, this is blunt but ignore what your dad says about putting stress on to the family. You need to focus on your own health, and worrying about the stress you might be causing to others is certainly not going to do you any favours. Is there anyone you feel comfortable talking to about all of this? Have you had any support with your anxiety before?

My knowledge on meds and the disorder itself is nearly non existent so I'll leave that to the people that know their stuff. ;)
  • Options
    You have to do what is right for you. Not what is right for other people.
  • Options
    i do have a bit of support for my anxiety. and thanks for your comment melian.
    I kind off feel like that there's only one way out of this which is to just take the meds, but just scared to though.
  • Options
    Hey kelly,

Have you seen the Headmeds website? It has some useful info on different medications and also stories from different young people on their experiences of taking medication. It might be useful to read to get a sense of what it's like to be on medication.

It might also be useful to chat to your GP about your concerns - how do you get on with them?

Can you tell us a bit more about what you're scared of in terms of taking it? What's worrying you most? It's totally natural and understandable to feel unsure about taking medication.

*hug*
  • Options
    Thanks for your comment Jo, no i haven't seen the headmeds website but will have a look though, i have a fear of doctors so not sure, and i'm scared of everything so this is just another thing that i'm scared of and i'm worrying about things like what if it doesn't work, what is it makes me worse, like all the what if's kind of things keep going around my head, like thinking all the worse things that could happen.
  • Options
    Every decision you make surrounding your health is going to carry some level of risk. Especially in the first steps when you're finding out what works for you and what doesn't. But the pay off for taking these (small) risks is to start your journey to recovery. You said you were worrying about all the worst things that could happen, try looking at the positive outcomes that are possible. :) Feeling more yourself, finally taking a handle on your anxiety, feeling able to go outside, generally being and feeling much healthier. Not saying all of this will come of giving your meds a go of course, but these are the rewards associated with what can seem like big risks.

Keep us posted!