Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Stream of consciousness, anyone?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
It's about 6am and I have been sleeping for thirty minutes at a time. Uggg so naturally my silly mind begins to follow it's own path:

I do have a bit of medical understanding (not a MD just studied the human body and pre med in college) so I don't need and explanation as to why but isn't sneezing weird?

Am I the only person that vacuums their broom?

Why don't more people clean their cleaning stuff (vacuum, washing machines, etc)?

Does anybody else really want to hike the entire trail along the Sierra mountains (but in reality only want to actually do about 10 miles of it)? Hehehe

Oh crap I need to set a reminder to call my vet later bc I just adopted a new dog. .. Hmm are my other two dogs up to date on their shots, I better ask. (I live on a ranch)

I hate cooking but secretly want to learn but not have to utilize my new skills regularly. I would love to have the skills to whip out... Annually or quarterly, at the very most.

Does anyone else have these weird thoughts or similar ones that may entertain myself and any others that chose to read my lame (and first post).

Ps I'm not crazy. I have a hard time turning my mind off. There is so much to do and these are the trivial things that pop into my head as I try to sleep.

Comments

• Options
    Sounds like a long night for you - being able to switch all our thoughts off enough to sleep isn't easy!

I wonder if this article on sleep might help, routine can be great and also having an outlet for all these musings - perhaps a notebook you write in before bed for example?

Let us know how you're doing :)
  • Options
    Hi!

Sure was a long night for you - I feel for you, my sleep (or lack of) is shocking!!

Do you have nights that are better for you in terms of sleeping? Like...are there nights that you sleep for longer? Nights that you wake up fewer times? Nights you find yourself thinking less about everything? If so...can you spot anything different in terms of things like a less busy day? Feeling different? I just tend to find that there's usually a pattern/reasoning to why I have such a rubbish nights sleep. I, like you, always have way too much on my mind and I assure you, my thoughts are a lot like yours in terms of thinking the most randomest of things at the most innapropriate of times!!

The artical that Jo posted above is really useful - do have a read through if you get chance :)

Other things I find helpful in terms of getting the best out of a night:

A warm drink before bed (helps you settle down and ensure's you're full through the night - going to bed hungry keeps you awake?!)

Reading (it makes me really tired, gives me something else to think about)

A nice hot bath/shower (just helps relax you - add in a few candles for a treat now and then!)

A notebook (scribbling down all the things on your mind before sleeping can just help get things off your chest a little)

Things to avoid:

Electricals (really tough I know, I find that when I wake up I scroll through FB, browse the internet, catch up on messages etc - this just wakes you up more so it's much harder to drop back off to sleep)

Practical things (I used to bake at 3am?! or do washing or hoover up (sorry neighbours!) or make cards or something just to pass the time - these things just stimulate our brains and keep us awake)

I hope these help a little - if you have any questions or just want to chat please feel free!

I hope you're not tooooo tired today and have a better nights sleep tonight *hug*