Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Finding it hard to breathe

HannHann Posts: 3,434 Boards Guru
So yesterday I was at my friends party and for most of the night I found it quite hard to breathe.

I first started to notice this after I got a drink of lemonade, when I was sat down in the middle room on a sofa, I noticed it was quite warm and there was a lot (well there was 9 of us) of people. I noticed that I could feel my breathing slowing down and I was trying to do some breathing exercises, they didn't exactly work. Everyone then was dancing around playing a game and I didn't want to get up as I couldn't breathe properly. I then asked one of my friends if she could come to the front door with me, I explained to her what's wrong and we just sat by the front door, I could then breathe properly.

Then came when we had to go back into the house, again I was finding it hard to breathe properly, I went into the kitchen and got myself a drink. Me and 2 friends from primary went and sat in the front room. We talked for a bit and then everyone had to go back into the middle room, it started again. I then asked my friend whose house it was if she could come to the front door with me, she did, and then 3 of my friends from primary joined after.

After us sitting there for a bit everyone came outside to bob for apples, so I was fine then, and we played a game of spin the bottle but the twist of standing in the middle with a lightsaber and spinning around.

Then we went in for food and the kitchen was extremely hot, I couldn't bear it for even 5 seconds, I grabbed food and went straight to the front door, my friends from primary were there anyway as 2 of them felt awkward as they didn't exactly know anyone.

So long story short, most of the night I spent sat at the front door to be able to breathe, I don't know whether this was because it was too warm or whether it's a health issue (that I don't know about) or that it was something else.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey Hann,

From what you've said these feelings of breathlessness happened mostly when you were in the main room all together or when you noticed that you felt too warm or unbearably hot in the kitchen for example.

When you were outside or just with a small group you felt calmer and able to breathe.

It's hard to know if this could be something to do with you health - for example if you have a cold sometimes it can affect your breathing and you can feel really stuffed up and desperate for fresh air, especially if you're in a crowded warm room.

Equally it might be related to feelings of anxiety and perhaps finding the social situation a little awkward or uncomfortable and your body reacted by quickening your breath or wanting to get out?

Or, it could be for another reason either emotional or physical.

Can you think about any feelings or thoughts that were going through your mind at the time? Is this something you've experienced before?

If you're feeling worried about it then it could be a good idea to have a chat with your doctor to rule out any health concerns, is that something you'd feel comfortable doing if you needed to?

It sounds like you have some good mates that were looking out for you that they were really understanding which is great :)

Let us know how you're feeling about it all now since you've had a bit more time to reflect - it may be that others have experienced something similar too?

*hug*
  • Options
    Hi Jo thanks for answering
    Yes that's what happened. It hasn't happened before Friday though, well it has but not as much.

Well when I first came into the house, it had a really awkward feeling which lead me to feeling awkward. I don't exactly know why I felt like this though...
    I never feel comfortable seeing the doctor, however I would be willing to go. The thing is I told my mum but she didn't say anything about it.
    Yeah I know I can trust them :)

Well I had the same feeling yesterday when I was at college. My friend went to the UCAS clinic and she wanted me to wait for her and I was waiting nearby and I didn't have anything to do. Then I noticed a teacher was constantly walking past and in the end he asked if I was ok so I said yes, I then had to rush outside to breathe.
  • Options
    Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster
    Hi Hann

It's good that you're willing to go to the doctor :) I know it can be uncomfortable, but it's worth seeing what they can suggest for you. As you've already told your Mum, maybe you could ask her to go with you if you feel nervous? Or one of your friends from primary?

Sorry it happened again. Can you remember anything that was going through your head, thoughts or feelings, before it happened or while it was happening?
  • Options
    Hey Danny

Yeah I just got to pick up the courage to actually go forward with it. I guess I could tell my mum and see what she thinks, because I think it's either because the room is too hot or anxiety.
    Well before it happened, I was just looking at the board that is full of stuff to help with stress, anxiety, depression etc. just to give me something to do, then I noticed that the same people kept walking past and that my friend still hadn't arrived, that's when I noticed my breathing changing in which I was finding it hard to breathe right, again it felt like the area i was in was getting hotter, that's when the teacher asked if i was ok, and then i just walked out to get air.
  • Options
    Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster
    Hey Danny

Yeah I just got to pick up the courage to actually go forward with it. I guess I could tell my mum and see what she thinks, because I think it's either because the room is too hot or anxiety.
    Well before it happened, I was just looking at the board that is full of stuff to help with stress, anxiety, depression etc. just to give me something to do, then I noticed that the same people kept walking past and that my friend still hadn't arrived, that's when I noticed my breathing changing in which I was finding it hard to breathe right, again it felt like the area i was in was getting hotter, that's when the teacher asked if i was ok, and then i just walked out to get air.

Hey again Hann

Have you spoken to your Mum? It does seem worth a try.

It does sound like certain situations might be making you anxious and affecting your breathing. Is it possible that the same reaction makes you feel warmer when it happens? It might be worth having a think about clues that you can pick up on which tell you that you might need to get into a safe space or get some air (for example, if your breath starts getting shorter, or if you start to feel too warm).

If you can, it might be really helpful for people you're around like your friends and your Mum to know what's going on for you at the moment, so that it's easy to explain and get support if you need to nip out for a little bit, or talk something through.

Do get to the doctors as well, you've showed courage in talking about what's happening here, and in explaining what's happening to your Mum, so I think you can do it :)