Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Life-Changing Decision

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hey people, here's my ordeal.

I'm 20, due to start my 3rd year at Sheffield this October. I've got 3 re-sits this August, the first one this Friday (2 days time).

I've not had time to prepare for them due to sudden domestic violence issues in my family home (my tutor and the whole department know about this).

I wrote to my tutors asking if my first re-sit exam (the one this Friday) can be postponed for at least a week, since I've had to travel home to help my parents out. I've backed this up with a letter from my GP.

Turns out my department can't postpone my exam, BUT they are willing to postpone it til NEXT year, meaning that I'll drop out of Uni for this coming academic year (and work full-time), and I'll have a whole year to prepare for my 3 re-sits, which I'll take in August 2003.

If I do this, I'll be at Uni for an extra year (i.e. 4 years to take a 3-year course), or I could cram-revise and give these re-sits my best shot.

The crunch: if I try my best this August and do my re-sits now, and I fail them, I will be asked to withdraw from Uni altogether and won't be allowed back.

Is it better to risk failing (and permanent withdrawal) and try and get them over and done with this year, hoping to get into my third and final year this October...

... or should I take it easy, work this year and take my re-sits next August?

Sorry for the long message; I'd appreciate any help and advice!

Thanks guys.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    hmm. I would have to say id take the year out because theres no point in cramming and failing if you could earn some money and have time to prepare properly. Why risk it now you've already done 2 years?
    Probably useless advice, but at least its some!
  • Options
    Well so far you have done all the right things...although shouldn't you have begun preparing for your exams a little earlier...? Anyway, that aside, with your mind all mixed up on your home issues and you not feeling prepared I'd suggest the more sensible option is to wait until next year. However if these are just the normal pre-exam nerves and you know deep down you are as prepared as you'll ever be then take the resits now.

If you delay a year, use this extra year wisely - revise well for the resits, and ask for a reading list for your uni subject so you'll be ahead when you start. Earn some cash, and maybe travel for a month or two. That way you will win all round, rather than feeling like your life is on hold, you can go and get a head start.

Good Luck whichever you choose
    Susie :)
  • Options
    Take the year out, but use it wisely, don't just slob about doing nothing all year, try and find some experience in what you want to do, prospective employers like to see industry experience.
  • Options
    Cool

Thanks guys, I've decided to take the year off, I really couldn't risk failing and therefore saying goodbye to Uni altogether!

I'm gonna take all your advice and make sure that this year out is action-packed.

Nice one!