Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

No internet

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've moved into a flat with no internet. I'm only here for a month, but still. Wahhh.

I need internet on my laptop for accessing papers, and completing a qualification I'm doing. I would also like wifi for watching TV etc, because I don't have a TV here either.... but that's a luxury rather than a necessity.

At the moment I've added an add-on to my phone contract to get something like 1gb of data to use as a hotspot. I doubt it will last me long though... Annoyingly I had free tethering on my previous contract, but I now pay a third of the price and don't get it anymore.....

I have no idea about dongles and stuff. They all seem a fairly expensive long term option rather than a short-term fix. Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster

I have no idea about dongles and stuff. They all seem a fairly expensive long term option rather than a short-term fix. Any ideas?

You can get pay-as-you-go dongles - I used one when I had to live at my aunts house for a month without internet - might be worth going to car phone warehouse or similar to chat with them about dealios? With mine, after the month was out, I just ditched it. ;)

You can also get 30 day wifi from BT, but sadly not a cheap option :(
  • Options
    I've got an internet single because this silly house doesn't let me get into their WiFi. I pay something like £20 for 3gb. Lasts me quite a while but I don't watch movies through it

Sent by Sony Xperia
  • Options
    Is there anywhere that you do have access to wifi that you could stash up on iplayer using the download function? That's one of the ways I deal with no internets. Doesn't help with the work thing but helps with the evening entertainment.

Are there any wifi signals that you can pick up from nearby flats? It might be worth asking them whether you could pay them for a month in order to share their wifi. Does depend massively on what's around as to whether there's any potential in that idea or not.