Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Wanting to get help with Mental Health

HannHann Posts: 3,434 Boards Guru
Last night in support chat I asked people where the best place for like counselling is in Manchester, **helen** replied with 42nd Street. I've previously looked them up online and thought I should do some more research into the place, but never did. Last night I did that research and I want to ring them and ask if I would be able to go there to get help. I was planning on doing it today, however I was hoping to do it without my mum finding out, and she's going to be in all day today, so I won't be able to do it. When I was going to ring them up, I was going to ask whether I could get help without my mum knowing, however I know they will say no. I don't know what to do...
I know I have said previously that I was going to speak to her about this however when I want to, I plan everything and then the plans get changed. For example, I was going to do it on Monday on the way to town, however we ended up getting a train up so the journey was shortened and I didn't want other people listening in. I was going to do it yesterday after I got my braces re-wired however we ended up going shopping so the journey was cut in half.
Now again we have fallen out and I don't want to tell her now...

Comments

• Options
    So I just managed to ring 42nd street and I was giving out my personal information, and I just felt sick to my stomach, I told the woman that I wanted to cancel it because that I didn't like all this being given out. I especially feel bad because I don't want my mum finding out about it as well. The woman I spoke to said it was fine for me not to carry on with it as many young people go through with this sort of thing and feel like that. Urgh I feel so stupid now, I wish I never rung :(
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Heya Hann,

You can do a self referral form to 42nd Street if you didn't want to phone, which can be a way so your mum won't know.

Also, you could e-mail them if this is easier for you.

Hope this helps a little,
    take care, Hann *hug*
  • Options
    So I just managed to ring 42nd street and I was giving out my personal information, and I just felt sick to my stomach, I told the woman that I wanted to cancel it because that I didn't like all this being given out. I especially feel bad because I don't want my mum finding out about it as well. The woman I spoke to said it was fine for me not to carry on with it as many young people go through with this sort of thing and feel like that. Urgh I feel so stupid now, I wish I never rung :(

Don't feel stupid - it's normal to feel anxious and paranoid with giving your information out but it's what needs to be done in any type of counselling you do. I think when you've calmed down a bit - think about what you really want and maybe try ringing them again?

They really are down to earth people, who will comfort and help you as much as poss. 42nd Street is a LOVELY centre as well, and pretty amazing if you've ever seen it! *hug*
  • Options
    Heya Hann,

You can do a self referral form to 42nd Street if you didn't want to phone, which can be a way so your mum won't know.

Also, you could e-mail them if this is easier for you.

Hope this helps a little,
    take care, Hann *hug*

Hey Sophie

I was going to do the self referral form however I just wanted to get some information first and I didn't think I would be doing it over the phone. I think it was going all to fast for me. Well they have all of my details if they need to contact me...

Thanks Sophie *hug*
  • Options
    Don't feel stupid - it's normal to feel anxious and paranoid with giving your information out but it's what needs to be done in any type of counselling you do. I think when you've calmed down a bit - think about what you really want and maybe try ringing them again?

They really are down to earth people, who will comfort and help you as much as poss. 42nd Street is a LOVELY centre as well, and pretty amazing if you've ever seen it! *hug*

The thing is as I'm like hiding this from my mum, she just popped out now to the shops and I thought that would be the best time to call but like everything went too fast and I didn't like it. The woman on the phone told me about the Monday drop-in and said I should come in one time and see what it is like.
    I have drove past it a couple of times and seen it, it does look nice.
  • Options
    Hey Sophie

I was going to do the self referral form however I just wanted to get some information first and I didn't think I would be doing it over the phone. I think it was going all to fast for me. Well they have all of my details if they need to contact me...

Thanks Sophie *hug*

Okay :)

You should be proud, this is a big step you've taken and probably one of the hardest, I really do hope you are able to go to 42nd street to get some help as I think you're already showing you want to get better from Mental Health now, and start living your life without this illness.

Proud of you

*hug*
    The thing is as I'm like hiding this from my mum, she just popped out now to the shops and I thought that would be the best time to call but like everything went too fast and I didn't like it. The woman on the phone told me about the Monday drop-in and said I should come in one time and see what it is like.
    I have drove past it a couple of times and seen it, it does look nice.

Do you think you'd tell your mum soon, or is it something she wouldn't take easily? The Monday drop-in sounds good - do you think you'll give that a go?
  • Options
    Okay :)

You should be proud, this is a big step you've taken and probably one of the hardest, I really do hope you are able to go to 42nd street to get some help as I think you're already showing you want to get better from Mental Health now, and start living your life without this illness.

Proud of you

*hug*

I'm trying to be proud, I'm just trying to slow my heart rate back down and my breathing. Yeah I hope I can go this Monday, but I didn't know the opening times were so late... I do want to live a life without it, it's ruining my life now :(

Thank you *hug*
  • Options
    I'm trying to be proud, I'm just trying to slow my heart rate back down and my breathing. Yeah I hope I can go this Monday, but I didn't know the opening times were so late... I do want to live a life without it, it's ruining my life now :(

Thank you *hug*

Take slow deep breaths, and remember why you're taking this step - hopefully that will help to slow your heart rate down.

Let us know how you get on, honey! I hope everything goes okay on Monday if you go :) *hug*
  • Options
    Take slow deep breaths, and remember why you're taking this step - hopefully that will help to slow your heart rate down.

Let us know how you get on, honey! I hope everything goes okay on Monday if you go :) *hug*

Thanks, I am

I will if I go :)
  • Options
    Hello Hann,

Did you go on Monday? If so - how did you find it?
  • Options
    Nope :(
  • Options
    JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
    Hey Hann,

The thought of dropping in to a place like 42nd street can be pretty scary, especially if it feel like there are lots of unknowns.
    Am I right in thinking they have a drop-in session every Monday? I guess there's always next week :)
  • Options
    James wrote: »
    Hey Hann,

The thought of dropping in to a place like 42nd street can be pretty scary, especially if it feel like there are lots of unknowns.
    Am I right in thinking they have a drop-in session every Monday? I guess there's always next week :)
    It does. Yes they do it from 4-6. The thing is I can't sneak at the house for about 2 hours. I want to tell my mum but I don't...
  • Options
    When i started getting help and seeing a counsellor and stuff I didnt tell mine for the first few weeks or so - felt so ill about saying something and worried she'd be angry and cry but after chatting to someone who knows me well i figured better had. Don't regret a thing cos just knowing she knows and appreciates how i feel sometimes makes me feel a lot more secure about it all - it also means she checks up on me when she knows I'm hiding something, at the time i will hate this but in the long run it's a lot better than using energy keeping stuff hidden all the time.

It's all scary telling struggles to anyone - well done for all your efforts so far :) good luck x
  • Options
    Jazzmaraz wrote: »
    When i started getting help and seeing a counsellor and stuff I didnt tell mine for the first few weeks or so - felt so ill about saying something and worried she'd be angry and cry but after chatting to someone who knows me well i figured better had. Don't regret a thing cos just knowing she knows and appreciates how i feel sometimes makes me feel a lot more secure about it all - it also means she checks up on me when she knows I'm hiding something, at the time i will hate this but in the long run it's a lot better than using energy keeping stuff hidden all the time.

It's all scary telling struggles to anyone - well done for all your efforts so far :) good luck x
    The thing is I want to tell her but the thing is I know she will be constantly worried about me and constantly ask me if I'm ok because that's what happened when she first heard about my mental health issues. The thing is I don't want to do this behind her back because I will start feeling ill. Also I can't hide it from her as I'm constantly indoors and if I'm suddenly going out then she will start to question.
    This is annoying because I want to know how she will act so I will know whether to tell her or not...
  • Options
    I'm like that too :3 x you're not alone

Thing is you can't predict the future no matter how much you want too - She's your mum and loves you and will always worry about you whether it's now or when you are 40 something. Granted she will be concerned to start with, she will do the are you okay thing for a little bit at first but it will be new to her as well - by having the chance to talk about it properly with her you can tell her that you don't want her to worry , or at least not tell you she's worrying. You'll probably feel relieved from telling her too, because you wouldn't have this turmoil on your mind as much which isn't going to help you start feeling better.

It is ultimatley your choice but keep in mind if it will keep you happy in the long run - that's all that matters

Keep it real dude ;)
  • Options
    It might help if she's able to learn a bit about 42nd Street so that she knows a bit more about what they can offer and how they can help. If she knows it's a safe and positive space for you to be able to talk then it might ease her worries a bit rather than making her worry more?

She could even give them a call to answer any of her concerns? The page about the Monday drop ins looks really welcoming :) and the focus is just as much on being able to talk about things as it is on doing fun activities with other young people.

It's hard not knowing how she will react and it's understandable that you're nervous about it *hug*