Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Protectiveness(?) over your partner

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
We all get protective over those we care about, that doesn't really need saying. But how far does that go for you? When does naturally feeling protective become controlling? Discuss... :chin:

Comments

• Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    When you actually intervene on something. e.g. lass is going out to do something that could damage her knee. Saying be careful and letting her do it is one thing, going OTT would be saying no you shouldn't do that. Basically interfering with free will, I'd say.
  • Options
    Hmm, well said. What if that person's judgement is clouded?
  • Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    I say people should be allowed to make their own mistakes. If you try to restrain them, they'll see it like a bull to a red flag and probably go at it with more gusto. Carrying on with my previous example, I'd probably say something like 'oh but please do be careful and have fun, I'm worried'.

I won't like what she's doing but I know I have absolutely no right to control anyone. That doesn't mean I love her any less at all, but each person is responsible for themselves.
  • Options
    Wise words there, Kate. :)
  • Options
    Being protective over friends on a night out by making sure they stand by u and they tell u where their going etc. I remember I was very protective over my old friends and with me so I can understand why ur like that with the people ur close to. Family aswell is another one. You can only try the best u can to do everything right in the book and make sure they are ok and safe. At the end of the day they are the oneswho are undercontrol.
  • Options
    That good advice Or??