Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Baking ideas

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey guys :wave:

So basically I want something really nice to bake for one of my carers. I'm going to go shopping for all the ingredients tomorrow so I wondered if anyone had any ideas of what I could make? :chin: I don't want it to be a simple cake/buns etc. I'd like it to be something special

I will appreciate any ideas :) Thanks guys!

Comments

• Options
    Battenberg!

Or this is lush.
  • Options
    mmm yes I love banana cake. Wouldn't know whether to start with battenburg though
  • Options
    cinnamon cookies! :D
  • Options
    BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    chocolate fireballs! :D
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
  • Options
    These all sound like fab ideas. I haven't had chance to make anything yet but I hope to do something over the weekend.
    Meggles; how would you go about making the rainbow cake
    Bubbles; chocolate fireballs?! Tell me more :)
  • Options
    BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    it's like cake pops but with sweet cinnamon in them and mini sparklers :')
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
  • Options
    it's like cake pops but with sweet cinnamon in them and mini sparklers :')

Sounds awesome!
  • Options
    Thanks meggles. Will google tomorrow. Too tired now haha
  • Options
    Victoria Sponge. Simply to make and dont take long.
  • Options
    Yes I actually thought about doing a Victoria sponge but I don't think she likes just plain sponge - shes picky!
  • Options
    I don't know how anyone could not like Victoria Sponge. One of the most traditional and delicious cakes what go nicely with a cup of tea lol. Where so bad about that lol. I'm sure she would have some cake with a cup of tea right? Or dont she drink tea lol. That's fair enough lol. Atleast she knows what she likes and doesn't like so makes ur job easier. Are u making the cake two or are u just someone who knows her? I heard about rainbow cake? Thats very different to Victoria Sponge lol. Hope it comes out well.
  • Options
    Marble cake is actually pretty easy - if you can make a standard sponge then marbling it is dead straight forward. If you're interested I'll hunt out some instructions or write them out here.

Are you definitely wanting to make a cake?

I made some amaretti morbidi the other day, which were truly divine if you/she likes almonds. They're a bit different and probably best described as classy biscuits. The kind of thing you'd get with your coffee in a posh cafe. They are almost entirely almond though, which if you like that is great, if you don't then slightly stuffed.
  • Options
    CrazyKiss;
    Shes strange, and very picky! If someone made me a cake, I would be happy with it no matter what it is! To be fair to her she doesn't know I am making it for her but I just know what she is like! Haha

Scary;
    I love marble cake, its so yummy! Wouldn't know where to start with it though! I would make her anything. Its just basically to thank her for everything she's done for me. Bit soppy really haha
  • Options
    That sounds like a good idea! The only thing is I heard from BeckiBoo that she dont like sponge cake. The almond biscuits maybe the best one to go with. I don't know.
  • Options
    She likes sponge cake just not plain sponge. Does that make sense?
  • Options
    I thought she didn't like sponge at all. Maybe it's best not to make sponge. I didn't know u was making it? I thought it was someone else what was? The rainbow cake? Marble Cake is something I have heard of before but I wouldn't know how to make it.
  • Options
    Yeah I'll be making it for her
  • Options
    Marble cake is actually really easy.

You make a sponge mix just like you usually would, but without any cocoa/vanilla essence. Then when you get to the end you split it into two bowls, put the cocoa in one and the vanilla in the other. Mix each bowl to mix in the flavour.

Then take your tin, and a big spoon.

Then, using the big spoon, splodge dollops from each bowl in an alternating pattern like a chess board until the tin is full. You might need a second layer. It doesn't matter in the slightest if it's messy.

Once all the mix from both bowls is in the tin, take a sharp knife and do some swiggles. Be very, very restrained here, not many swiggles - about one through each 'square' of your chess board.

Bake as per normal.

Voila, marble cake.
  • Options
    Does sound easier then I thought. Theres a lot of splitting and separating going on here so that's the only problem with this recipe. Sounds nice though. That's an idea for u to make BeckiBoo. Not just a plain sponge then. Have u thought of any other cakes u are worth considering? How long does it take to make the Marble Cake?
  • Options
    Thanks for that Scary :)
  • Options
    Do u think u will make that BeckiBoo? Does sound pretty easy. Hope it goes well and show us what u baked by posting it on here. Good Luck :)
  • Options
    I'm still not really sure what I'm going to bake. I still need to go buy the ingredients

Sent from my C1905 using Tapatalk
  • Options
    I hope u can decide on what to bake. I'm sure it will turn out lovely as expected and she likes how much effort u put into making it. If u need anymore baking ideas then I could help to think of some more recipes for u :) when do u have to make it by?
  • Options
    There's no set day but I am hoping to do it tomorrow if everything turns out well

• Options
    Ok well I hope it goes well and I'm sure it will look great! Will r rally appreciate the thought.
  • Options
    I'll post a picture when I've done it

• Options
    meggles wrote: »
    Just tried private messaging you buts its not letting me..guessing youe inbox is full? :s

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

Yeah sorry. I'll delete some stuff

• Options
    Cheese cake

Fruit cake yumyum I made them lush
  • Options
    Ok Becki :) look forward to seeing the finishing result :)

Helen - that is a good idea two. I like cheesecake and don't know anyone who don't lol.

Becki- Would that be something u would consider baking?
  • Options
    Mmmm yes I love cheesecake! Might make this instead then! Omg I so can't decide. All of you guys have given some great ideas!!!! Decisions decisions ....