Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Losing your virginity "too young" or "too old"?

Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster
onlyvirginleftWP.jpg

There have been a few news stories recently about young people waiting to have sex for the first time. This story in the Guardian is about an 18 year old who has expressed his pride in being a virgin very publicly. What do you think to this story?

I often find boys and girls have really different emotions around the age and situation in which they lost their virginity (or gave it away? Or chose to no longer have it?).

If you have popped your cherry: how do you feel about when you first had sex? (Does it make you proud, or embarrassed, or confident, or regretful … ?) What do you feel it says about you to others?

If you haven’t had sex yet: is that important to you? Do you see it as positive or negative (or both)? How do you think others see your choice?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Danny! wrote: »
    What do you feel it says about you to others?

Erm nothing? Because I don't wear a detailed plaque (of when I first had sex, or who with, how many etc) around my neck.
  • Options
    I think people put way too much emphasis on this. It's just your first time sex. It probably sucked and was nothing to write home about. Priding yourself with being virgin is equally dumb as trying to desperately get rid of your virginity. As if you are suddenly a different person afterwards.
  • Options
    Being young myself I know the pressure on how to look cool in front of ur mates to have done the deed first time. I'm not one to brag about wether of not I have or haven't. Why should that be made a big deal about! I don't think there's any rush to grow up fast as ur only gonna look stupid when something goes wrong and the guy what told everyone that he's proud of what he is. Well, I don't see the point in that or all of these. There's better things to express ur feeling about to the world then saying wether or not u are or arnt virgin.
  • Options
    I was 15 when I lost my virginity. I don't give a shit what that says to others as it had little impact on my sex life from that point onwards.

I mean, my first time is probably the only thing in my life I would truly regret (if I could be arsed with such things), but I wouldn't change it, really. I regret the hurt it caused others much more than the act itself.

It was also nothing monumental. I was on a bean bag in his living room with crappy pop-rock on the tv. I can't remember how long it lasted, I remember it hurt and I was sore for a bit, but it wasn't anything spectacular. I doubt that would have changed if I'd waited.
  • Options
    Gotta agree with Franki and the others. Your first time(s) is(are) never going to be an amazing experience so it's kinda pointless regretting it. There is pressure on a lot people to lose it, but once you lose it you realise how little it actually matters. It doesn't change you, all that happens is you go "Oh, so that's what that's like". Like any other new experience, I don't think there's a real right age - just whenever it happens.
  • Options
    I think there are some interesting points on here. I think that people generally don't tend to look back on it and think - oh wow that was awesome as MikeS points out. It's a shame that people tend to see this as something to be done with. I think there is a large amount of peer pressure to conform and do what everyone else is doing. But that doesn't mean that you should.

It's uncomfortable and never that great - so I don't think it's worth giving yourself a hard time over it. Im sorry that other people have had some trouble and some regrets over it. It's an experience and like all experiences they can be both good and bad, but we learn from them either way. :)
  • Options
    Annaarrr!!Annaarrr!! Posts: 876 Part of The Mix Family
    I would've lost it at 14 anyways, still with the second guy I had sex with. I have no reaction to someone being a virgin, like, that means nothing to me. But in all honesty if I hear of someone losing their V at like 10 or 11 it does shock me.
  • Options
    I not had sex iam happy the way it is tbh. I might in the future. Worried to catch something hiv ect
  • Options
    Annaarrr!! wrote: »
    I have no reaction to someone being a virgin, like, that means nothing to me. But in all honesty if I hear of someone losing their V at like 10 or 11 it does shock me.

Totally agree with Annaarrr!! here. It's surprising hearing someone lose it so early (and I guess, so late), but that doesn't say anything about that person necessarily. Probably just our judgement of that person and what we've been conditioned to think. I do think it's important to make the other person someone you trust, though. Even though the experience itself doesn't stand for anything, it's a good idea to make the best of it. I'm glad I waited for someone I trust more than anyone - there's no getting away from the fact that its a very personal thing.
  • Options
    I not had sex iam happy the way it is tbh. I might in the future. Worried to catch something hiv ect

And yet

So that's a bit odd.
  • Options
    Annaarrr!!Annaarrr!! Posts: 876 Part of The Mix Family
    Whowhere wrote: »
    The only thing significant about being a virgin is, we were all one, once. I don't recall any pressure when I was at school, apart from a desire to actually try it. Nobody else gave a toss, and it wasn't something really spoken about. That said, the first time was a disappointment.

pretty much
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    The only thing significant about being a virgin is, we were all one, once. I don't recall any pressure when I was at school, apart from a desire to actually try it. Nobody else gave a toss, and it wasn't something really spoken about. That said, the first time was a disappointment.

Yea same here. When I got into 9th grade (15 years old) we got mixed with a new class. To get to know out colleagues better, we all sat in a circle and asked Yes/No questions to the group and if your answer to this question was "Yes" you had to get up and switch seats. The class clown of course asked "Who is a virgin?" After people got up he - too late of course - jokingly added "in the star sign" (it is semantically sound in German). By then a couple people switched places and I asked my new sitting neighbor (a hottish girl) in disbelief, "you already had sex?!??!" and she was just like, "yea."

Little did I know I'd had my first time sex within the same school year and did not feel more like a "man" or whatever afterwards. It was no achievement. I did not talk about it to friends, not because I was ashamed or whatever, but because it was a non-issue for me.
  • Options
    I can understand where everyone is coming from with this subject about sex but I know with being at school this subject was talked about and people did ask wether or not u did it or not and if u didn't then u feel the stupid one but if u did do it then people will think good on u. Why does it have to be a big deal wether u have or haven't. No many of them understood that u would wanna wait for the right person to come along and make sure it feels right, they all thought sleeping with someone is the best thing ever. I wasn't that person. Its important that u and the person ur with at the time do want it and if so then I don't see the problem. It's when it gets personal that u have to worry about ur safety. Protection is really important to stay safe always.
  • Options
    Ella u won't catch anything unless u protect urself with ur partner etc. I feel just the same but there's nothing to worry about as it feels normal to feel like this but don't think it can stop u. Sometimes u have to go with the flow in order to be brave. Theres no rush in when to do it and how to do it. You have to remember to always use protection and never do something u feel uncomfortable doing. Being able to trudtur partner is the first step and then everything else comes after. The site should have some information on relationships and everything from relationships to intimacy. Remember it's illegal to have see if ur under 16 and always ask the person first if they want to do and never force them to as thstcan come down to assault and abuse. If u feel uncomfortable in relationship or u expect something isn't right them get out of the relationship immediately and confide in someone afterwards so u can remain safe. If u have been a victim of rape then u can access the organisation who are called sexwise who are a free national service who are completely confidential who run from 7am til midnight 7 days week. You call them for free on there number or go on the website which is www.ruthinking.co.uk. Hope that helps :)
  • Options
    MikeS wrote: »
    Totally agree with Annaarrr!! here. It's surprising hearing someone lose it so early (and I guess, so late), but that doesn't say anything about that person necessarily. Probably just our judgement of that person and what we've been conditioned to think.

This made me think, although there's a general feeling here that we shouldn't worry about what age we first have sex, there are often limits somewhere. Most of us would be fairly shocked by 10 or 11 years old, and 40 years old is apparently shocking enough to spawn a (not particularly good) film!

But then depending on your own experiences and upbringing; the age limits on either end, and how we value those numbers, can vary a lot.

So even if you don't judge the other person, then the age they chose could contribute to a certain impression of someone?
  • Options
    Hi Danny it's Crazy kiss. I haven't met u before but I wanted to introduce myself to u and say hi. Going back to ur message in saying there isn't really an age limit and people seem to get intimate at any age from starting at 10 to even starting at 40. I partly agree with what ur saying in that this day of age anyone does it wether they are teenager or grown adult but there still needs to be a law in having sex under consent. Have to be aware of the risks put there in young pregnancy. This society is getting more and more young people thinking that getting pregnant is the new trend. What kind of example us it setting for them? I know in Wales and Ireland its a different age limit and some countries it can vary but in this country it's aganist the law to have sex under 16. There needs to be more sex education in schools and support out there in knowing what the implications are. Everyone judges someone everyday in life through being in the paper to walking out on the street and seeing a young girl at the age of 15 pushing a pram makes u think why did she get pregnant at this age? How come she wasn't aware of what this might do to her for life in living? I know this happens in life and maybe it accidentally happened and wanted to keep the child but at that age u have to worry why they having a baby this quickly for and why they arnt enjoying being a teenager. I'm not saying this about all young mum's out there who have had a child young but I'm saying this the teenager girls. Need to think long and hard with bring someone new into the world. That's where the government steps in and helps to prevent the problem from happening again but it won't.
  • Options
    BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    My virginity was taken when i was quite young, but my first time agreeing was when i was 12, i was with an older guy and thought it was the 'cool' thing to do ... it became regular and i got a bit of a name for myself when we broke up and other older guys tried it on ... i have a lot of respect for people who waited until they were ready to lose it, i wish i did...
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
  • Options
    Sometimes u can't be like everyone else and follow the crowd in a way of having sex at a young age but with u didn't mean for it to happen and that's what I respect. Aslong as u are aware of the implications and know to use protection are the keys things in all of this but I'm happy that u wernt ashamed to admit this to everyone on here. That's very brave of u and yh u may wish to of waited when u were older but everyone does stupid stuff at that age and experiment. Don't bear urself up BubbleGoesBoo.
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    I think people put way too much emphasis on this. It's just your first time sex. It probably sucked and was nothing to write home about. Priding yourself with being virgin is equally dumb as trying to desperately get rid of your virginity. As if you are suddenly a different person afterwards.
    This. I was a virgin until I was 30, which was very frustrating for many years (older posters may even remember some of my early posts on the subject). I was under pressure from colleagues to "get laid" because they all seemed to think I was a bit strange wanting to wait for the right woman, rather than paying some hooker for meaningless, unsatisfying sex. But when I finally has sex, it wasn't the big deal some people made it out to be. I'm happy now that I'm in a relationship, but sex is only one aspect of it. There is so much more to life than sex, so don't worry too much if you're not getting any.
  • Options
    You are right Caption Slog. I feel there's more to life then just getting laid every Friday or Saturday with some random stranger who u don't know. It's important to have an intimate relationship with ur partner as it keeps the relationship going well. I do agree with the part about why do people think getting laid is a big deal and why go with everyone where there's far more better things to do then that. You shouldn't of had to feel the pressure with ur friends telling u to have sex and they don't seem very understanding towards ur situation u were facing. I'm glad now u can put that behind u and enjoy spending time with ur gf or wife and u two keep going strong forever.
  • Options
    Crazykiss wrote: »
    Hi Danny it's Crazy kiss. I haven't met u before but I wanted to introduce myself to u and say hi. Going back to ur message in saying there isn't really an age limit and people seem to get intimate at any age from starting at 10 to even starting at 40. I partly agree with what ur saying in that this day of age anyone does it wether they are teenager or grown adult but there still needs to be a law in having sex under consent. Have to be aware of the risks put there in young pregnancy. This society is getting more and more young people thinking that getting pregnant is the new trend. What kind of example us it setting for them? I know in Wales and Ireland its a different age limit and some countries it can vary but in this country it's aganist the law to have sex under 16. There needs to be more sex education in schools and support out there in knowing what the implications are. Everyone judges someone everyday in life through being in the paper to walking out on the street and seeing a young girl at the age of 15 pushing a pram makes u think why did she get pregnant at this age? How come she wasn't aware of what this might do to her for life in living? I know this happens in life and maybe it accidentally happened and wanted to keep the child but at that age u have to worry why they having a baby this quickly for and why they arnt enjoying being a teenager. I'm not saying this about all young mum's out there who have had a child young but I'm saying this the teenager girls. Need to think long and hard with bring someone new into the world. That's where the government steps in and helps to prevent the problem from happening again but it won't.

Hi Crazy kiss, nice to meet you :) I completely agree with you that age of consent laws are necessary. I was just wondering how much difference do you think they make to people's choices? For example, if we raised the age to 18, or lowered to 14, do you think people's behaviour would change?
  • Options
    My virginity was taken when i was quite young, but my first time agreeing was when i was 12, i was with an older guy and thought it was the 'cool' thing to do ... it became regular and i got a bit of a name for myself when we broke up and other older guys tried it on ... i have a lot of respect for people who waited until they were ready to lose it, i wish i did...

I'm sorry you went through that :( I understand that you wish you'd waited longer, I think quite a few people do. But do remember that we can only make choices based on what's available to us at the time, and the 12 year old you can only take so much responsibility. It's a cliche (sorry!), but while we can't change the past, we can change how we see it.
  • Options
    I think if there was more education about this subject in schools then maybe there would be some more awareness out there for teenagers to start realising that if u go through with it then u need to make sure its the right choice and u know the precautions involved. They got to understand that protection is vital in order to have sex and without it then thats where the problems lye. You can only teach it children the good way in life so they can be brought up knowing best but sometimes it doesn't go like that and one of the lessons in life is to let them learn from ur mistakes as that's what's gonna make them understand more on what's going on around them. Have to let them make their own choices so there may still be a risk factor with young people getting intimate at a young age and not having any form of protection because they either dont know about the subject that much or to feel pressured so they can get it other and done with etc but it is aganist the law to have sex under 16 and that's that and u will get found out if u do that. I don't know if it will make much difference wether u are 15 or 18 etc doing it but that's why more teaching in schools about this will hopefully bring them to think how this will effect u in the rest of ur life. Once its been put out there then the number may go down untill there's more research being dofone to help stop teenage pregnancy.
  • Options
    I don't think I lost my virginity too young, but it was to someone completely ridiculous and inappropriate, out of boredom of being a virgin and wanting to see what it was like. I wish I'd done it for the first time with someone nicer though - even if I'd been years younger I still think it would have been better for me than in the situation I did lose it in. I'm not particularly bothered though.
  • Options
    That's where the problem lies. If u have had sex at a young age u wish u waited till u was older but when u have sex at an older age u wish u did it when u was younger. Theres no certain number when u should do it but it is going back to what the law says. Only if people could take the law into consideration then there would be a more of a awarness to look up to in a postive light. I know wherever u go this does happen but more education in schools is important to take away combining research to the equation will hopefully make a better difference in time and how much teaching is being put up within schools. People make the biggest mistake by not using protection and this may still be happening but we need to prevent that with more ways of having sex without feeling the pressure.
  • Options
    Crazykiss wrote: »
    Sometimes u can't be like everyone else and follow the crowd in a way of having sex at a young age but with u didn't mean for it to happen and that's what I respect. Aslong as u are aware of the implications and know to use protection are the keys things in all of this but I'm happy that u wernt ashamed to admit this to everyone on here. That's very brave of u and yh u may wish to of waited when u were older but everyone does stupid stuff at that age and experiment. Don't bear urself up BubbleGoesBoo.

thanks :) we werent using protection but i didnt get pregnant so its all good :P been on the implant now for over 2 years... and it's not brave, but i thought if it could help someone in any way, then why not share it :) people need to know there not alone and the only person it's happened too...
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
  • Options
    Danny! wrote: »
    I'm sorry you went through that :( I understand that you wish you'd waited longer, I think quite a few people do. But do remember that we can only make choices based on what's available to us at the time, and the 12 year old you can only take so much responsibility. It's a cliche (sorry!), but while we can't change the past, we can change how we see it.

yeah, ive turned a lot around since then, including moving to another area, like for a fresh start ... but i agree with crazykiss, they need to teach more about it in schools, teachers tell you everything about sex, even the not so pleasent stuff haha, but at school we never got told about virgins, or that once you have sex your not a virgin anymore, in primary the only time i had heard virgin was in the christmas story!
  • Options
    Atleast it aware what's going on around u and its good to know nothing happened after u had sex with STIS etc. Do u take the pill or? No one can be like everyone else but it does help if u are clued up to know what the risks are when ur thinking about having sex. I thought the implant is a good thing to have cuz it stops anything else happening? Is it cuz u had it in for that long and that's why it's not safe? You should really get it taken out or something. Well atleast u are protective from next time. It is agsnist the law to have sex under sixteen and we can't all be angels but it's important u go off with any person not knowing what ur doing.
  • Options
    Thank you BubbleGoesBoo! I really do appreciate that u agree with whey I got to say. Has made me really happy that someone else thinks they their should be more taught about this in schools. I agree totally with ur commented when u said about in primary school u only got taught about the male and female body and why are they both different to one another and not just that but about getting intimate to.

There should of been more teaching about this subject in secondary schools then just primary schools. Must kids would think about it after they had finished and still wouldn't know what a this is used for and what that does etc. More education needs to be done to tackle this.

Its good that u do try to avoid having sex under age and most people that age do want to experiment but again more teaching needs to be done and they may not really be ready as they are nerves etc. So this problem can be sorted out and lower the number in teenage pregnancy.

I know everyone has done it at different times of there life and u can't go back in time as things happen for a reason but if we thought about ways to look into the growing population then we would of hopefully had not made the nhs to waste more money in teenagers wanting abortions. That's what I'm taken by in my opinion.
  • Options
    ... at school we never got told about virgins, or that once you have sex your not a virgin anymore, in primary the only time i had heard virgin was in the christmas story!

Haha, that's probably the most misleading story about virginity I know!