Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Bereavement

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I know this is probably quite a sensitive topic for people in this situation but I just read this article (http://www.thesite.org/sex-and-relationships/family-life/my-dad-died-when-i-was-at-uni-10217.html) about a person who lost their dad while at uni and I'm quite interested in hearing about how different people go through this whole process differently. One of my friends lost his dad a few years ago and I know he still misses him a lot even now. And I'm also quite interested in how the loss of a parent is different from the loss of a close friend.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    My best friend killed himself last year and I still miss him each and everyday! I never went to his funeral and I will never live that down. Equally though I lost my nan nearly 3 years ago and that pain is still very raw. It's not as bad as the first few! months but certainly some days I feel like I am never going to smile again because I miss her so much

Sent from my C1905 using Tapatalk
    To me losing someone affects people in a number of different ways. I lost my nana almost a year ago, and it still affects my daily life. I lost my best friend on Sunday and the pain I have now is just the same as it was when I lost my nana. The process that humans go though does change depending on the person. But to me, to just accept the fact that said person is gone and is not coming back can take people months sometimes years.

I'm increaldbly sorry to hear about your best friend my lovely, it is still normal to miss him everyday. As for not going to the funeral, I'm unsure what to say, but I'll just say, if you want a chat you know where to find me, I'll always be around for owlie cuddles :)

When I lost my nana, we all knew she was ill and we where told by doctors that she only had a few days. When she did pass, I was there, her last ever words she said how proud of me she was and that I was beautiful in her eyes. I thanked her for what she said and kissed her forehead, just after that she had gone. Being honest losing my nana hit me hard, we where really close, our names are rather similar she was Suzanna-Mary and I'm Suzanne-Mary. If people call me Suzanna, I snap and scream at them, not for badness but because that was my nana's name. A year's almost passed now and I will admit it's starting to get a little bit easer, but days it still get's me really down.

I hope this helps a little bit. :)
    I think the loss of a dear family member or friend can haunt and grieve you for the rest of your live, if you let it, that is. Within yourself you must find the conclusion that carrying on with life does not mean forgetting or neglecting (about) that person.