Home Home, Law & Money
At The Mix, we want to make our services as helpful as we can. To do this, we’d love to ask you a few questions about you, your visit to The Mix and its impact. It should take only about 5-10 minutes to complete. Take this survey and get a chance at winning a £200 Amazon voucher​.
Come and join our Support Circle, every Tuesday, 8 - 9:30pm! Sign up here
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Debt Relief Orders

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone know anything about Debt relief orders? Will they need to see my bank statements and if so how many months? My daughter has put £400 in my bank for us to have a break away as my Husband has recentely got over Cancer. We have no spare money other than that. I am worried that if they see this we will be refused a DRODebt Relief orders


  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey littlemissspurs and welcome to TheSite :wave:

    The CAB have some really comprehensive advice about debt relief orders on their website including this article on how your income will be assessed.

    We can't say for sure if this money is going to have an impact as I imagine it depends on the circumstances more broadly and unfortunately we're not experts in this area.

    One option would be to make an appointment at your local CAB to talk things through or you may find other local advice services in your area - you can search for these using our Local Advice Finder.

    Let us know how you get on and good luck, it sounds like you've been through a lot lately - it's good news to hear that your husband has got over his cancer *hug*
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You can only do a DRO through a registered intermediary, so you'll need to get advise. The intermediary will need to see documentation from you, and that includes a copy of your bank statement as well as a copy of your credit reference file. They will be able to advise you about this money; it can be excluded if it is for a specific purpose, but not always. There are limits on your total debt, your income and the amount of assets you can own; if you exceed these limits you cannot do a DRO.

    Try ringing Stepchange on 0800 138 1111.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Thankyou Guys :) We have been through it. Lost a baby just before my Husbands illness too, and then I had to have an emergency hysterectomy, was very ill, and had to spend months off work; Hence the circumstances we are now in :( x
Sign In or Register to comment.