Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Are Facebook relationship statuses important?

Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster
New+Relationship+Status+Facebook+Update+June+2012+-+Single,+Taken,+Depends+on+Who's+Asking..jpg

Your relationship status on Facebook lets other people know about your personal life, and also whether you might be available. Do you have your relationship status visible? Do you want to see other people's?

When you’re in a relationship, how does it work when you make the decision to become “in a relationship”? Would you discuss it with your partner first?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Not for me. I just use facebook for party invitations/planning and the occasional funny picture I got from somewhere else so people think I am funny. Depends on how serious you take your webpersona, but everywhere I look there are teens nearly running into streetlights, because they can't live a moment without their smartphone, so I guess changing your relationship status has important benefits to them, like breaking up without telling your partner beforehand (so convenient), making your girlfriends jealous, attention, and getting rid of pesky suitors because you can't tell them you are not interested, that would be soooo 90s.
  • Options
    I know defriending someone is the ultimate diss, as for relationship status, mine has said married for almost as long as I've been on Facebook. I'm not sure I would even know how to change it lol

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
  • Options
    I don't think it's important. Did used to have a friend who would constantly change it. Can't understand why though.
  • Options
    I tried to put I was in a complicated relationship with myself, it wouldn't let me. Rude. If you can't love yourself...

My relationship status is blank. I'm not even friends with my SO on there. Scandalous!
  • Options
    Neither my boyfriend or I have anything on facebook. It was coincidence that we both felt indifferent about putting anything on there. We've been asked by quite a few people whether it's facebook official, I think it's pretty sad that a relationship is deemed as real/serious depending on whether it's announced online. The people who matter know I'm in a relationship and I told them personally.
  • Options
    Mine has been blank for most of the time I've been on there because I've been single most of the time. My last relationship we made it 'fb official' largely to get rid of a girl that just would not leave him alone even though he told her several times he wasn't interested. But I made it so only a select few could see it on mine because a) it isn't really anyones business and b) it just causes drama and I couldn't be arsed with it.
  • Options
    Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster
    It's interesting that no one here so far said that they did feel that relationship statuses on Facebook are significant. A piece of research last year that found that "becoming official on social media is a new 'symbol' or way of displaying to your wider social circle that you're are in a committed relationship".

I liked the idea of a new relationship stage that encourages couples to talk openly to each other about how they feel and what they want. But maybe the public nature of Facebook means that your feelings towards each other would get lost in the mess somewhere?
  • Options
    When I got quite serious with my ex we had a conversation about the whole Facebook relationship setting and decided together to put it on there. A big part of the reason we chose to was because some of his family members didn't know as he.. well I don't need to get into that but yes, my ex and I found making it 'Facebook official' to be an important thing.

Unless you're serious I don't see the point in making it 'Facebook official'. I unfriended her a little while ago but one of my cousins was in a new relationship every month but every time she'd make it official on Facebook and claim to love each new guy straight away. There's no need.
  • Options
    I guess it also depends what part Facebook plays in your life.

I don't have a relationship status on Facebook, and I haven't for a long time, that and Boy isn't on Facebook so the whole thing in my case is completely irrelevant.

I can see how it might be an issue if you've got 'Single' on Facebook when you're actually in a relationship - but otherwise what's the point?