Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Stress tips

'Alexandra''Alexandra' Deactivated Posts: 50 Boards Initiate
Hello :wave:

We're in app creating mode here at YouthNet and our most recent venture is developing an app that will help young people cope with stress. We really want the app to feature some general stress coping tips/techniques from young people. Soooo, it would be fab to hear some of your techniques - all ideas (big and small) are welcome and greatly appreciated.

Thank you! :thumb:

Comments

• Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    I find things like cooking, knitting, walking, swimming help me!
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey Alexandra,

That's fab with what your wanting to do with creating an app for young people and combating stress and ideas with how to do that.

When I'm stressed things that help me are:
    Writing how I feel
    -And if I'm angry then ripping/scrunching it throwing it away
    Drawing
    - Writing poems/songs
    - Music
    - For example having a happy/positive playlist to go to
    - Going for a walk, a run
    - exercising so letting off steam/endorphins
    - Talking to somebody face to face/online/on the phone
    - Writing a letter
    - Go to the top of a big hill and scream (though not always possible haha)

Hope some of those help, my mind has gone blank for more but I will keep thinking and post more when I think of more :)

13893635503_d69036b614_o.png

*Join in our Easter Egg Hunt! Find all 8 eggs around the boards and PM your list of links to where you found them to Jo7. There?ll be a prize draw next week for the winner!
  • Options
    BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    i love doing a page in my 'wreck this journal' it relaxes me and distracts me from everyone going on around
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
  • Options
    These are great - thank you for the replies!! We're still looking for more if anyone else has any tips they want to share!

I agree, plugitin - cooking can be really relaxing (and good for you!)

Screaming at the top of a hill - brilliant StarWonder!
  • Options
    i love doing a page in my 'wreck this journal' it relaxes me and distracts me from everyone going on around

Ohh this sounds interesting! What's a wreck this journal?
  • Options
    *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    Wreck this journals are pretty cool, on each page it gives you thinks to do, to basically wreck it. I have one but I haven't been able to stick with it cos I get bored too quick. But I know others have had them and enjoyed using it.
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
  • Options
    Yeahh it's a brilliant book ... its just random thing that can keep you busy for hours ... i even had to take it for a walk :P as the book says ... 'to create is to destroy' :)
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
  • Options
    Yeahh it's a brilliant book ... its just random thing that can keep you busy for hours ... i even had to take it for a walk :P as the book says ... 'to create is to destroy' :)

You have inspired me to use my wreck this journal more :)
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
  • Options
    woo! :D ... ooo there should abe a wreck this journal thread haha
  • Options
    Aye thats a really good idea. Maybe you should start it :) You are pretty good at threads.
  • Options
    really? I just think of random stuff and post it and hope it makes sense :P i'll do a poll first to see how many people have one :)
  • Options
    You are good with threads though. I only manage to do my Friday thread haha.

:) Your ideas are good ones
  • Options
    I must check out a wreck it journal!
  • Options
    Alexandra wrote:
    I must check out a wreck it journal!

yes Alex you must :P
  • Options
    AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    The thought of destroying a book leaves me feeling stressful, many people will know I've had my wreck this journal for AGES! Where as most people finish it in a month, I've only managed to do 3 pages! Better than non, me thinks!

Mindfulness is key when calming down from stressful situations. Without it, I would just over think the thoughts I was thinking without being mindful on what I was actually doing!
  • Options
    I try basic mindfulness techniques when I'm very stressed but that's often a little late and I'm totally feeling unconnected. Basic breathing techniques are helpful, I sometimes use hypnosis tapes if my insomnia appears (I've had it on and off since I was 9 so I've tried a lot of things and this seems to work best). Creative things sometimes help - knitting and drawing. I have a pocket scavenger book which is by the same person as the wreck it journal so that's good fun. Cooking is really stressful for me - I burn things too often. Drawing on my own skin is quite calming, as are doing mandalas they're great for chilling out.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Anymore for anymore? Getting ready to send these over to the agency :)
  • Options
    Breaking stuff down into lists - then being able to cross off stuff that I've done in a big black pen to remind myself I'm making progress.

Planning chill time each day - even if it's only 15 minutes, to switch off.

Making sure I'm well hydrated - making a cup of tea or refilling my water bottle is a good break for my brain.

Exercise of some kind.

Reading 15 minutes of a trashy book before bed.

Watching a trashy soap - as a break, but not spending the evening in front of the TV.

Scheduling things, so I've got deadlines to work to - and more importantly tick off when they've been achieved.

Breaking a major stressy thing down into little chunks, and talking those through with someone so I can see what's working and what isn't.