Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Joining the Gym

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi,

I've recently joined a gym... I've been two three times and it was okay.

I was a bit nervouse at first but i managed to go.

AND... Now i can't push myself to go! my enthusiasm as vanished!

How the heck to i push myself to get going again?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    Do the gym do like certain subscriptions? I've got a silver subscription at the gym i go to and it means like i can go whenever for free ... It motivates me cause i've already paid for the subscription so why not! ... or maybe try get your friends to go with you? that way you can have a natter and exercise :)
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
  • Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    Hi Custard,

Have you got any goals that you might want to meet by joining the gym? Are there any specific things you enjoy doing exercise wise, e.g. classes? My membership isn't just for the gym but a swimming pool and classes and I find myself often attending more classes than actually going to the gym for the same motivational reasons as you!
  • Options
    An hour a day sounds like a lot, I've just had a look at our info on getting fit and it recommends the following:
    The recommended amount of exercise depends on your age.

If you're over 19 you should aim to do either two hours and 30 minutes of moderate aerobic exercise (like cycling or walking fast) or one hour and 15 minutes of vigorous aerobic exercise (like dancing, aerobics, running or football) every week. And work on your muscles at least twice a week; lifting weights, push-ups, sit-ups or yoga all build up muscle.

If you're under 19 you should be doing an hour of exercise every day, and a mixture of moderate aerobic exercise, vigorous aerobic exercise, and muscle-strengthening.

It sounds like a lot ? but don?t panic! Start small and build it up week by week :)

Well done for joining and going along, gyms can be super intimidating at first but the more you go the more you can get into your own little routine, put your earphones in and ignore what's going on around you ;) Motivation can be really hard at times but one thing I find helps is trying to really hold on to how good it feels afterwards and if you can just push through the lack of motivation it will always make you feel good.

Our article on getting fit recommends some of the things mentioned here like finding an exercise buddy, choosing the type of exercise you do and setting some goals. It also recommends creating a schedule that's realistic for you and trying to keep all the benefits in mind like better sleep, more energy.

Good luck - let us know how it's going and if you find any other ways to keep motivated :)
  • Options
    How are you getting on with going to the gym?

I hope your enthusiasm has come back and you are seeing results.

Ami