Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

mesuring blood sugar levels on my own - can I trust the result?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello all.
Any experts on diabetes here? Or at least people familiar with the disease / have (a relative with) this disease?
My mother was diagnosed with diabetes type 2 last week. Apparently her blood sugar levels were sky high and mortally dangerous. As far as I've read about diabetes that could mean that I am next in line (as diabetes is usually inherited - runs in the family).
Should I measure my blood sugar levels? Are those blood sugar meters that you can buy in local drug store anything close to accurate (probably yes, otherwise they wouldn't be selling them, right)? I mean if I do the test and it shows normal, can I trust the result or do I need to do a series of testings?
Regarding blood sugar levels, are these blood sugar levels accurate:
Less than 70 mg/dl (3.9 mmol/l) Low fasting blood sugar
70 to 99 mg/dl (3.9 to 5.5 mmol/l) Normal fasting blood sugar for adults
100 to 125 mg/dl (5.6 to 6.9 mmol/l) Impaired fasting glucose (pre-diabetes)
126 mg/dl (7.0 mmol/l) and above in more than one test result Diabetes
about 70-125 mg/dl (3.9-6.9 mmol/l) Normal random blood sugar
about 70-111 mg/dl (3.9-6.2 mmol/l) Normal postprandial blood sugar
Less than 70 mg/dl (3.9 mmol/l) Hypoglycemia (Initial Stage)
50 mg/dl (2.8 mmol/l) Hypoglycemia (Fasting)
less than 50 mg/dl (2.8 mmol/l) Insulin Shock
145-200 mg/dl (8-11 mmol/l) Post meal Value suggesting early diabetes
More than 200 mg/dl (11 mmol/l) Post meal Value suggesting established diabetes
I will buy the tester tomorrow and measure my blood sugar levels so I can see if there is anything wrong. I know that one result will not tell me whether I'm going to get sick or not, but I will at least be assured that at the moment nothing is wrong with me.

And yes, I will go see my doctor as soon as I can.

Thank you for replying.

Comments

• Options
    Hi,

I use blood sugar monitor regularly and they line up with what the doctors take too. You could ask your gp or pharmacist to recommend the best one :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Options
    answer

my dad has it and i dont think you have that much to worry about i dont have it nor does my brother and 2 sisters. you just have to make sure you look after youself really
  • Options
    With diabetes you are much better off watching what you eat and your weight than looking at your blood sugar constantly. You aren't guaranteed to inherit it!
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Miss_Riot wrote: »
    With diabetes you are much better off watching what you eat and your weight than looking at your blood sugar constantly. You aren't guaranteed to inherit it!

This.

In my family it has skipped a generation. Eat sensibly, exercise, follow a healthy lifestyle and stop stressing about it.