Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Bio-Oil..

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi guys :wave:

Just to warn you, I think this could maybe trigger, I'm not entirely sure though.

Anyway, I have scars on my arm from when I cut when the abuse was happening. I'm trying to remember when I stopped and I can't remember exactly, but I think it must be about two years ago now. I stopped cutting my arm as it was really upsetting my family.

I did start on my leg, but now I tend to do it sort of on my hip so it's a lot more hidden.

I hate the scars on my arm because a lot of the time they can be really obvious. My family know about these scars, and my sister has known for ages that I wanted something to help get rid of the scars. I went shopping with my sister today and she pointed out Bio-Oil. I've been thinking about getting some of this a few times now, so today I decided to buy some.

So I have a few questions.

Does Bio-Oil actually work? I've heard quite a few people say that it doesn't but I was wondering if it has worked for anyone at all? It's so expensive, which is why I haven't bought any in the past as I didn't want to waste money on something like this if it might not work. Too late now though I guess.

Also, my scars aren't so obvious at times. I think they're quite faded, compared to the ones on my leg they are. Is Bio-Oil supposed to make them disappear, or just fade? If they're supposed to just fade, does this mean they might not fade anymore?

The scars on my leg, they're still quite dark and red. Will Bio-Oil work on these scars, or do I have to let them fade a lot more like the ones on my arm? I think I hate the scars on my leg more than the scars on my arm as they're a lot more obvious and my family don't know about these ones, so I can't wear my shorts pyjamas unless I'm in my room and I can't wear a dress without wearing black tights. Just little things like that, but they bother me quite a lot sometimes.

Are there specific times of the day that would be better to apply Bio-Oil? I've read on the bottle that I need to apply twice a day, daily, for a minimum of three months. The problem is, I'm a little rubbish at remembering things so if I do forget to apply some a couple of times, will it not work?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I use something similar to Bio-Oil, it's the cheaper version 'Re-gen' (I think that's what it's called)

I apply it 2/3 times a day, and some times put some in my bath. Personally I've seen a BIG difference, and it does fade them quite well.

The dark/red scars will probably take longer to fade, but you will see a difference.

As long as you apply it at least once a day you should be okay, but it may take a little longer in showing any difference.

Best wishes :)