Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Compulsive Lip Biting

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How can I stop doing this?!

I've pretty much stopped biting my nails now, but instead I just seem to be biting and chewing and tearing at my lips and the inside of my mouth until they're all raw and gross and bleeding and swollen. It's not something I do when I'm nervous, it's constant, and I don't even notice when I do it, until it starts bleeding.

Booo :crying:

Comments

• Options
    Hi Grace,

Would chewing gum help at all, do you think?

Sorry I don't have any useful advice.
  • Options
    I used to bite my lips all the time, it's addictive even though sometimes it hurts and makes your lips horrible! the only thing iv found that works is slathering on loads of Vaseline/other lip balm all the time because it's hard to bite slippy lips!
  • Options
    I used to bite my lips all the time, it's addictive even though sometimes it hurts and makes your lips horrible! the only thing iv found that works is slathering on loads of Vaseline/other lip balm all the time because it's hard to bite slippy lips!

Ok cheers. I'm constantly losing lipbalms so I don't tend to buy them cos they're lost in a couple of days bu I'll make more of an effort if it might help...at the moment my lips are so swollen it looks like I've had botox haha
  • Options
    I do the same thing, lip balm helps as firey says, and I find it helpful to wear lip stick so I have a reason not to chew my lips. I also find that having something in my hands to fiddle with like a stress ball distracts me from chewing inside my mouth :)
  • Options
    Hi Grace:wave:,

Thanks for posting on The Site. How are you this evening ? What you have described sounds very painful and uncomfortable for you*hug*. Sorry to hear this. I think what fireyfirenze has suggested is a good idea, using lip balms, vaseline etc. I know you say you lose these quickly but maybe try and get into a routine of buying a couple of small tubs and keeping them in the same place, Maybe one in your handbag and one at home:).

If you feel comfortable in doing so it may also be worth giving your G.P a visit and seeing if they have any suggestions on how to prevent this or maybe reduce how much you are doing it. They may also be able to prescribe something to soothe it.

I hope things get better for you and let us know how you are getting on.

Take Care,
    Becky.