Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

all seems to be a mess

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi, im 16
okay, i really dont know how to start this im not usually one with words when it comes to being about me. which is kind of annoying but ill try and sorry if it makes no sense (which it probably wont)
ive been struggling for a good few months now with things and the way i cope, yes ive self harmed but ive not for nearly a month so im proud of that but im struggling with explaining to people how i feel. because im not actually sure how i feel. i havent ever been able to go to the gp about things which is hard cause i know that would help. i have a counselor at school but i dont trust her to much because i struggle with trust a lot as ive had many people break the truth and lie to me and go behind my back.
im really struggling with anxiety like feelings and panic attack sort of things especially before bed along with allergic reactions which menas im feeling physically drained from lack of sleep.
just wondered if anyone has any ideas of what i can do to help? we have mocks exams this month but i dont want this stuff to ruin my real gcse exams and its all really hard for me. and yeh sorry for a ranty post.
rose

Comments

• Options
    Heya Rose.

*hug*

I can emphasise with you, it can be really difficult to open up and trust someone when you've been betrayed so many times by others.

Have you tried writing things down for your counsellor to read? This could make it a little bit easier, and she'd be able to help you to manage the anxiety and stress with the mock exams coming up. Also, a counsellor would only break confidentiality if you/someone else was at risk of harm.

It might help if you talk to your counsellor about the trust issues? That you'd like to open up more to her but you feel as though she'll go behind your back? It could be something you both could work on, and getting a better counselling relationship.

Have you tried relaxation hypnosis when you try to sleep? You can get apps on android and apple that are really useful for making you so relaxed you drift off into a natural sleep. Or you could try maybe a bedtime routine?

Hope you feel better soon. :heart:
  • Options
    *hug*
    thanks for the reply

ive tried writing things down but my counselor doesnt like it when i do that because she wants me to try and talk about it but i cant. i often close up completely to the point i dont move, i call them shut downs as i litrely shut down, i hear what people say but take no notice and i can see them but i dont see them and i just lock in my brain. and i can be in these shut downs for 2-40 mins which is really scary. i hate it and i try to get out of it but i cant.
    she knows i struggle with trust and the whole shut down thing is linked to that so its hard. everytime i mention something she will always say its me linking stuff back to the bad experiences even when its not at all related, its hard because i know what happened in the past has effected me a lot! and yes ill have moments where i have flash backs and i feel the same emotions but its just annoying cause im trying to move on, but i cant. i think the anxiety is linked to all of that to!

sorry for such a random message and ive not tried the sleep things, ill have a look thanks, i have a bed time routine :)
    rose
  • Options
    Have you looked into mindfulness for anxiety? You can get apps for that too.

http://www.dbtselfhelp.com/html/mf_handout_1.htmlhttp://www.dbtselfhelp.com/html/mf_handout_1.html

You can click next at the top to flick through the handouts... You'll eventually get to other handouts about distress tolerance and so on if you flick through- they might also help with things such as your self harm....

Perhaps if mindfulness helps you could use that to help go to the GP or calm down before counselling....

Have you ever heard of disassociation? I am not sure if that seems like your shut downs at all? But if it is anything like that mindfulness can help 'keep you in the room' too.

Hugs
  • Options
    Hey thanks mythically for your reply, sorry for taking so long to reply had a very hard few days with some bad news with things related to a close friends.

Ive had a look at this all and the same with the whole GP situation and its near enough impossible to go see my GP :/ the only times i can see her if i made an appointment would be anywhere between 2-4pm but im at college till 4:30 most days other than monday but thats the day my mum is home from work. So this might need to wait till i come up with another plan or work out if i get a teacher day etc.

ive had a look at the long word disassociation after working out the meaning, and it seems similar. its hard to explain what its like because i tend to just zone out so i dont realize what its like. the link you sent helped thanks :)

*hug*
    if you have any more suggestions/ tips etc muchly appreciated