Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

motivation

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i really start to lose weight and get fit again, but i just cannot get motivated to get back to the gym. in august i am doing a 10k charity walk, it seems so far off, but it will be here before i know it, any motivation tips
thanks

Comments

• Options
    hey, That is really good that you have signed up for a 10km walk. There are a lot of really good plans online and one key thing is to build up slowly. I did a 10km run last year and started on just 2km and built it up. Stamina is the key thing but I think a good motivational thing is an exercise plan that you can follow. I used to work at a gym and even then I found going hard work. Are there any nice outdoor areas near you which you can walk. There really are some beautiful parts of the UK where you can walk for miles and get so caught up in the scenery and your thoughts that you don't realise how far you have walked. This is often better than a treadmill where you are constantly checking how far you have walked. There are websites online where you can track exactly where you walked/ran and it tells you how far you went. At this stage I wouldn't worry about the distance just start out slow and build up

Are you doing it by yourself or with anyone? Maybe see if you can get a training partner so you can help motivate each other. Set yourself specific days a week where you will do some form of exercise. It will get easier as the weather gets nicer but its good that you have an aim of the walk to look forward to. Well done and good luck :). Keep us posted on how you get on
  • Options
    there wil;l be lots of folk on the same walk, but i will be doing it alone. i did the 5k last year, i would do the run but have really bad arthritis in both knees, hence the walk. i do have a couple of apps on my fine, and i have a pedometer. the problem is getting a training partner, no one seems interested.
  • Options
    vailron wrote: »
    there wil;l be lots of folk on the same walk, but i will be doing it alone. i did the 5k last year, i would do the run but have really bad arthritis in both knees, hence the walk. i do have a couple of apps on my fine, and i have a pedometer. the problem is getting a training partner, no one seems interested.

Thats the hard bit. If you have already done 5km even with arthritis then that is really good. Do you know anyone else doing the walk?
  • Options
    Lauren92 wrote: »
    Thats the hard bit. If you have already done 5km even with arthritis then that is really good. Do you know anyone else doing the walk?

i am sure i will know quite a few on the walk, i will see if i can find out before hand who may be on it, and see if we cant get some practice in together. i still need to motivate myself to go to the gym though, so i can get rid of some weight .
  • Options
    Have you thought about booking a session with a personal trainer? They can help you come up with a specific programme to follow. Some gyms offer free ones every so often which you can then have a refresher