Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Cold migraines

Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
I should probably ask a doctor about this, but I'm posting here because I'm not sure what they could tell me other than "Make sure to dress better".

Not every time but a lot of times when I get cold (particularly my head -if I'm out without a hat- or my feet -if I walk on the floor with thin/no slippers) it causes a migraine. Some of these times it may pass if I make sure to get warmer (wear a hat, even indoors, or thicker socks/slippers) but most times it gets bad enough that I need a painkiller.

I must have taken 3 paracetamol pills in as many weeks. The number may sound low, but there's another thing to consider: An enzyme I'm missing means that there's no painkiller that's 100% safe for me, even at low dosages. Paracetamol is considered to be low risk and that's why I prefer it, but in general I'd still prefer to not use any if I don't have to. These migraines however get bad enough that I do.

Does anyone have an idea: Is "Make sure to dress better", i.e. wear a hat and thick shoes as much as possible, the best thing I could do? Could there be a solvable problem causing the migraines, as opposed to it just being because of the cold (although it always happens when I feel very cold, and rarely ever when I don't)?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It sounds likely a slightly odd correlation, particularly if the trigger is a bit chilly rather than seriously old so it's probably worth seen a doctor see if they can give any insight.

Any chance it's circumstantial? Like you're feeling the cold because you're hungry/ dehydrated / in certain laces and actually one of those might be the issue?
  • Options
    I suppose it could be something like that. All I know is that it happens on the same days when my head or feet get very cold (not just a bit chilly). A couple of days ago I walked in the rain without an umbrella for a bit (hadn't realised it was raining, I could barely feel it) and last week I walked on hard cold floor without my sandals on (I wear them over my slippers now, and that day felt very cold in general).

This whole thing is nothing new, it goes as far back as I can remember. It just happens a lot more often lately because the place I stayed last year had amazing heat retention (we were all inside in t-shirts when there were inches of snow outside) but the house I'm in now gets cold.
    It also had normal taps where one can adjust the temperature instead of having to choose between boiling and icy, that may contribute as well (although it's a wholly different rant).
  • Options
    I stepped out without a hat for just a minute and immediately (no exaggeration) got a headache. It's getting ridiculous.
  • Options
    :( I get migraines a lot, so you have my full sympathy!

I don't have any advice on preventing migraines, however have you tried 4head products? I'm also reluctant to use pain relief every time I have a migraine, although for different reasons, but I've found their range pretty good, especially the cooling strip.

Out of interest, what's your blood circulation like?
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestion, I'll have to ask a doctor or pharmacist about how safe that is though.

About my circulation, it's never been tested (is there a test for that?) but I think it's not that good, if the fact that my hands and feet are always much colder than the rest of me is any evidence. I also get headrushes.
  • Options
    As far as I know, there isn't a specific test, blood tests can be carried out to ensure that there isn't an underlying problem causing circulatory problems. You can usually tell by a change in skin colour, so white or blue-ish shades.

My reason for asking is temperate will change the width of blood vessels as well as the levels of oxygen within the blood, which I think can lead to headaches, although anyone with better Science knowledge may come along and correct me.