Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Self harm- safety and damage limitation (TRIGGER Warning)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
With the discussion in chat tonight I wanted to make this post again. I'm sure I've made one before but I can't find it, so making a new one! This post is going to discuss first aid around self harm, so it might be triggering for some people.

First of all- if you feel like self harming, try and distract yourself. Phone someone you can talk to, or the Samaritans (08457 90 90 90- UK only). Maybe watch a funny program, or take a pet for a walk. Anything that will help distract you or you think will help.

Other ways to contact the Samaritans are listed here: http://www.samaritans.org/how-we-can-help-you/contact-us

Other distraction techniques and advice are listed here: http://www.thesite.org/mental-health/self-harm/self-harmcoping-tips-and-distractions-5696.html

If you don't feel you can distract yourself and you need to self harm it is important to stay safe. If you are cutting yourself, make sure the articles you use are sterile (you can do this with putting them in a glass of boiled water with salt. The water should be as salty as tears, and is best to use sea salt if possible).
Make sure the area you intend to harm is clean too, as dirt from the surrounding area of a wound can cause infection.

Basic first aid is good to know as well, it is best to get to see a nurse or doctor as soon as possible if the wound is serious but if you can't get to one then treat the wound yourself until you can. You can find information here, and I will also write out the main points below: http://www.thesite.org/mental-health/looking-after-yourself/general-first-aid-6282.html
The main points to remember are:

Cuts

If there is bleeding a lot, apply pressure and hold the affect area above heart level if possible. Make sure you apply pressure with something clean, like a towel or cloth. If the bleeding does not stop within 10 minutes you MUST get emergency treatment ASAP.
Once you have stopped the bleeding, apply a dressing. Make sure it is sterile and non-stick. You can get them cheaply in Superdrug, Boots or Savers. If you are a regular self harm stock up so you have them available when you need them. Wrap a bandage round the dressing pad, to make sure pressure is still applied. Cuts over 3 inches, or that are very deep (to the yellow fat layer in your arm) or wide probably need stitches. Cuts on your hands, face or genitals should always get medical treatment as infection is very common in these areas.
Change the dressing of the wound as needed, at least once every 24 hours until healed. You can visit your practice nurse at your GP surgery for dressing changes if you want to.

Burns

Burns come in varying degrees. A first degree burn is the least severe, and the skin will be red. A second degree burn will have blistering, and a third degree burn (the most severe) will not be painful but will cause the skin to go white or black. 2nd and 3rd degree burns need medical treatment ASAP.
For any degree of burn the first stage of first aid is apply cool water to the area. Not ice cold water- as this will make the burn worse. Tepid water is best. Submerge the area in water for 10 minutes per second of burning (so, if the burning lasted one second, 10 minutes, if the burn lasted 2 seconds, 20 minutes and so on.) You could do this by putting a wet flannel on the area, or putting the area in a bowl of water, or running it under a tap. Whatever is easiest. Make sure if you use a flannel you put more cool water on it regularly.
Once you have done this, apply a dressing to the area. You can loosely cover the area in clingfilm if no dressing is available. Do NOT wrap clingfilm tightly round the burn. If there are blisters, it is best not to pop them. A nurse may pop them for you if you seek medical attention. Don't apply any cream or ointments to a burn. Like cuts, burns on your hands, face or genitals will be very prone to infection and you should seek medical attention ASAP.

Fractures

If you think you have fractured your bone, going for an X-ray is very important. Until you can get to the hospital, keep the bone supported and try not to move it. Wrap the bone in padding, use clothes or a towel if nothing else is available.
You should never try to heal a fracture at home, as the bone could fix wrong and you could have permanent damage.

If you have severe swelling applying an ice pack (or a bag of frozen peas!) wrapped in a tea towel may reduce some pain.

I am in no way encouraging self harm, I am just encouraging safety. I hope this post has been helpful.