Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Big hospital appointment....struggling

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Sorry for yet another post from me but I thought I would start a new one as this is slightly different from my other posts.

I have a hospital appointment on Thursday with a haematology consultant which I have been waiting weeks for. I have had a range of tests to find out if my stroke was caused by a rare clotting disorder. They picked up an abnormality in the summer and I went to have a repeat test to check it wasn't an abnormality in the testing. I was meant to have an appointment in September but a stupid junior doctor cancelled the appointment by mistake and I have been waiting this long for an urgent follow up. I have had to be injecting myself daily with heparin injections which are painful and horrible until this appointment. I am really scared and have nobody to go with as everyone is at work or at uni but a part of me wants to go alone as if I get upset I don't want others to see.

This is quite a big appointment as if I do have this protein deficiency which causes clotting it is likely to mean some big life decisions and impacts will happen. I am a hockey player and it is something I am really passionate about. As soon as I came off warfarin after my stroke which thins my blood I went straight back to training and was playing again which was the best feeling in the world. I know I can't play at the moment and still love captaining and being involved but it isnt the same. All I want to do is run around on pitch. If I do have this disorder I will have to go back on warfarin and probably for life which means no hockey ever again. To some people this doesn't sound like a big deal but to me it really is. It is the one thing in my life which I really enjoy and makes me so happy. People say I can find something else to do but I don't want to find anything else and nothing is going to be as fun and amazing as running around on a hockey pitch and playing with a lovely team. I also horse ride so it will mean I won't be able to compete jumping or cross country as the risk of falling and bleeding internally is too high.

Obviously I understand that this medication is important but another thing that scares me is that if I have it I probably won't be able to be pregnant. There won't be any reason I can't get pregnant but the risk to me would be too great and there is a high chance I would miscarry. Also, the risk of me having another stroke is too high and potentially life threatening. I know there are other options and I'm not looking at having children any time soon but the fact that I can never have my own is upsetting :(.

I know this hasn't been confirmed and I might not have it and everything be fine but I think I do and I don't want to be told in the appointment as think I will just break down. I can't cope with this on top of everything and really at times do feel like giving up completely. I wish life was simple and I didn't have to deal with any of this!

Comments

• Options
    I don't have anything useful to say lovely girl but we're here for you.

It may be fine, you don't know the results yet but try not to worry too much. You have people to support you and you will find other things that you love as much IF that's the case.

Remember what I said about that day..

Big hugs and lots of love LC *hug* :heart:
  • Options
    Ahhhhhhhh 3 days!!!!!!!
  • Options
    We're here! Moan all you want lovely. Nothing we could say will make it better for you, I wish I could make it better for you! But just know we care about you and will be here whatever the results are. You never know, it could all be fine.

I have an idea!! You just wait :)
    Love my bestest!
  • Options
    I want it to come and be over with but at the same time don't want it to come at all. What's your idea?!
  • Options
    I know you don't want it to come, I understand it must be a very scary thought but you'll get through it.

That is for moi to know and you to find out :)
  • Options
    Ahhhhh no fair! When will I be allowed to find out?!
  • Options
    Again I say that's for me to know and you to find out lovely...
  • Options
    So after today's big appointment I thought I would update you all. It was much better than what I thought. It wasn't ever going to be amazing news and I do have a rare blood disorder and they think I had another mini stroke in September which was why I ended up back in hopsital. So long term anti-coagulation treatment for me but the consultant did say that if I am sensible and am aware of the risks I can play hockey again. Obviously I can't at the moment as my leg is still too week but I thought I would never be able to play again. So for me this is amazing news. And I will be able to have a family in the future but will just have to be closely monitored and will have to change my medication so it is not as bad as I was expecting.

Hopefully the fact that I can get back on a hockey pitch will be enough motivation for me with my rehab as all I want to do is get back on pitch. So overall I am happy :) thank you for everyone who listened to me go on and on about this appointment as I was so scared but I can move on now
  • Options
    I'm so happy that you're happy lovely girl!! :)
  • Options
    Really really pleased to hear your news. You must be a lot more relaxed now some of the uncertainty has been removed. Remember that medicine keeps moving forwards, so over time the understanding and management of your condition is likely to keep improving on what you know today rather than becoming more limiting.