Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

EMDR is bringing stuff up *triggering*

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I started doing EMDR about a month ago and last session I started getting into the difficult stuff recently and I'm really struggling. I feel like I constantly need to be close to people, I'm feeling really lonely and I'm getting SH urges and a lot more flashbacks and nightmares.

I'm on my own for the rest of the month and I'm having issues with one of my PAs so I'm struggling as it is. I'm just feeling really lonely and I'm not too sure what to do about it all.

Help!!!

Comments

• Options
    I had to tell my therapist the fairly graphic details of my abuse today and I'm struggling. I really feel like I need to just need to cling on to someone (someone in particular really) and I need to feel safe and just cry. I feel a bit removed from it all right now - but I'm in a fair bit of pain too. Its so hard cos I'm still on my own until the end of the month, and I really want someone to stay over whilst i'm feelig like this because I really keep wanting to shread myself to pieces and I feel really scared with the flashbacks. I'm doing my best to keep my head above the water with the skills i've been taught but I really dont know what to do! I feel like I'm choking all the time and I'm getting so lonely!
  • Options
    It can be really hard. I am in the same process of talking through my difficult past with my therapist but thankfully not at the stage where I have to go into detail yet. It must be horrible and unfortunately it is one of those things where it has to get worse before it gets better. I thought I had dealt with my past but I hadn't hence why I am having to relive it again.

Is there anyone close to you who knows about what has happened who you can talk to or call when you get these flashbacks or urges to keep you safe? The world does feel like a lonely place at times and it is difficult to deal with. Remember you have the boards which you can post on anytime and we will try and help where we can or just listen. Have you found any strategies of dealing with the flashbacks? One strategy that I find quite useful in this situation is to constantly remind myself that it is only a flashback and that the worst is over and you are doing the right thing by dealing with it. Focusing on breathing is another good technique and I use it when I can't switch off from thoughts as well as when I'm anxious. If you put one hand on your stomach and one on your chest and breath in nice and deeply and focus on your hands rising and falling with each breath.

Stick in there and it will get better
    *hug*
  • Options
    I've got protective/nurturing/wise figures and my own imaginary walled garden which I tend to go to but it often takes a moment or two to realise i've been triggered. I do have people I can call, but not at 2 in morning! Well I'm sure I could but I feel really bad calling my friend up when he'll want to come over and check I'm ok when he's 30 min walk away. :/