Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

father of 10yr old ecstacy victim arrested.

Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Fair enough - he should be held responsible. A child should be able to rely on its parents and in this case the father failed to protect his daughter from a drug that could (And did) kill her.

If you are going to use drugs, at least use them reponsibly and don't leave them around for innocent children to take by accident. It's incredible the amount of thick parents there are out there who spend so much time thinking about their own pleasure and wants and completely neglect their children.

If you can't be bothered to look after your children then please don't have them.

It's like getting a dog and never talking it out for a walk or letting it eat! The RSPCA would do somethign about it and in the case of a child so should the police!
  • Options
    here here.
  • Options
    indeed - this shouldn't b used as a "witch hunt" if ya like against drugs, just people who aren't responsible
  • Options
    Yep, parents must be held responsible, be it 'E' or Asprin!

cannone.gif

However, would there be an arrest if it had been asprin? :confused:
  • Options
    very good point, n highly unlikely, it would have been deemed a tragic accident as opposed to everyone now thinking this guy is an evil bastard .... altho he must have been pretty thick to leave pills accesible to his kid
  • Options
    I thouught that the wee girl took the pill at a neighbours house, not her own home?
  • Options
    Originally posted by WHSpliff.net
    Yep, parents must be held responsible, be it 'E' or Asprin!

cannone.gif

However, would there be an arrest if it had been asprin? :confused:

very good point mr spliffy.
    you wont mind me calling you mr spliffy on your rise to power will you mike ?
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I still find it bizzare how she supposedly took 5 when they taste absoultely minging, and there's also the fact that by the age of ten a kid should know not to swallow any old pills they find round the house!

Then there's always the possibility that she actually had some idea what they were!!!
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Sir Spliffy, if you don't mind Surf M. Roll;)

Also bloody goint points Skive!

We have been talking about here, conclusion: It was an accident, OK it shouldn't have happened, but the father has to live with that for the rest of his life.

Therefore, he should not face court, just to be made an example off - what benefit to society to imprison this man?

It's not as if he's likey to 'reoffend'.

Comments?
  • Options
    I think she probably did have some idea what they were, If her dad was selling them, then seeing people take them was probably normal for her. maybe she was encouraged to take them for a laugh ? I do think her father should be sent to prison. he should have protected his daughter, he shouldnt have been selling drugs around his daughter. I do think hes paid the highest price already, but i do think they should charge him with manslaughter as well.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    I do think her father should be sent to prison. he should have protected his daughter

The father wouldn't be held responsible or charged with manslaughter if it were paracetamol the girl had taken, it would have been labelled a tragic accident, so why should it be any different with ecstasy?

The only difference is that ecstasy is illegal and therefore the father should be charged with posession or intent to supply. Anyway, he's already got a 'life' scentance in the sense that he has to live with this the rest of his life.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    you cant compare someone drug dealing in their home with children around, to having aspirin and paracetamol in their house. I would liken it to letting a child loose in a pharmacy amongst dangerous drugs and medicines, except even that would be less dangerous in my opinion, because as a child of a drug dealer, she would have been in contact with all sorts of people with a general feeling that these things were desirable to take. having a child in those kind of surroundings is the same as encouraging the child to take them. she probably saw it in the same light as kids whose parents smoke see smoking - as grown up and cool. and the child wouldnt have a concept of the risks involved, and now shes dead after taking relatively few tablets. How would you feel if youd heard the child of an alcoholic had died after drinking a bottle of vodka or something. Alcoholics have their children taken away from them, and so should drug addicts and dealers, its no life for a child, and in this case, it was too late. her parents ARE responsible.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Skive

The father wouldn't be held responsible or charged with manslaughter if it were paracetamol the girl had taken, it would have been labelled a tragic accident, so why should it be any different with ecstasy?

Skive I usually think you are the voice of reason and sanity on these boards when it comes to drugs, but I can't beleive you feel like that.

Taking paracetamol would not kill a child. Overdosing on paracetamol could, but we all have stuff like that in our medicine cabinets. As a parent you have to minimise the risks to your child, by putting stuff like that in a safe place.

But leaving E kicking about is NOT minimising any risk. You know as well as I do that it's a potential killer and we all take the risks when we swallow one. That wee girl did not have the knowledge that we do about it. Her parents did. And I agree with Rainbowbrite...if the muppet was dealing it from his home where jade lived, then he was glamourising drug culture and increasing her interest and desire to use ecstasy. So whether he accidently left it where she had access or had been inadvertedly promoting the drug to her through his daily actions, then he should pay the price.

I take E and I have a kid, but I would never have anything in the house when he was here. It puts the fear of God in to me thinking of what could happen.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lovedup
    As a parent you have to minimise the risks to your child, by putting stuff like that in a safe place.

Alright fair enough, by dealing the drug with kids about I can see that he has must take a fair bit of reponsibility. That's no enviroment for a kid to grow up in, and could have influenced her to take them.

...but leaving five pills in reach strong pain killers in reach is no different than leaving five strong pain killers, dishwasher tablets, bleach or any other potentially nasty substance on the side. The fact that something is illegal makes no difference to what it does to you body, there's plenty of legal subtstances out there that will kill you, do you see what I'm trying to get at?

If it had been painkillers the kid had swallowed it wouldn't have made the headlines and would've been labelled an accident, the only difference in this case is that he was dealing when he had a responsibility to his children to make sure they grow up in safe enviroment. If he hadn't been dealing but would you still sugest he was charged with manslaughter?

I'm really not sure sure what a conviction of mansaughter would achieve, this man is already serving a life scentance and as Sir Spliffy said, what good would it serve society to send him to prison!
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    What I'm trying to say is...

...you are no more responsible for taking an E getting high and leaving pills on the side, than of taking a sleeping tablet and leaving pills on the side.

Both will kill - legality of the substance makes no difference...

...the difference in this case is that he was dealing the drug!
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I definitely think that the fact he was dealing them whilst having his daughter around, makes all the difference in this case. I do think he should be punished though. just because he may already be suffering because of the death of his daughter, that doesnt mean he should neccesarily get away with it. people who drink drive and kill someone will have to live with that forever, that doesnt mean they shouldnt be charged for it. She died because of his lifestyle.
  • Options
    I definitely think that the fact he was dealing them whilst having his daughter around, makes all the difference in this case. I do think he should be punished though.

Agreed!

What should he be punished with though? Whether he is guilty of manslaughter is in my view debatable, the fact that he is definately guilty of intent to supply means that he could be sent down for a long time anyway!

As I said I'm not sure what punishment would be best and I'm glad I'm not the one who has to make that decision. I think he'll proabbly go down for it, and because of the intrest from the media he'll proabbly get a fairly long time!

Apart from thinking 'what a nob' for bringing up a child in that enviroment, I aso have to feel some pity for him.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I agree that the father was irresponsible by even letting his daughter near the tablets... It is not difficult to lock them away in cupboard or small cashbox where they can do no harm. If he was a dealer than I think it's a very bad way to bring up his daughter. Unfortunatly because of the massive media intrest he is very likly to get a very harsh jail term for an unfortunate "accident" and it was an accident. I'm sure he never ment for his daughter to go anywhere near those tablets and now he has to live with his consiounce (SP) for the rest of his life, that is a harsh punsihment in itself.
    Bopz :)
  • Options
    I am confused:confused:

Who said he was dealing, nothing in that report about dealing:confused:

It says he was arrested "on suspicion of being concerned in the supply of controlled substances", which could just mean 'supply to his daughter'.

If I pass you a spliff, I can be charged with supply!

Where is the detail about dealing????:confused:
  • Options
    Good point!

...and apart from the fact that sending him down would do very little for socieyt waste tax money, you're only going to fuck up the family even more than already!

Too be honest I don't see the point in a jail sentance!
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Originally posted by WHSpliff.net
    I am confused:confused:

Who said he was dealing, nothing in that report about dealing:confused:

It says he was arrested "on suspicion of being concerned in the supply of controlled substances", which could just mean 'supply to his daughter'.

If I pass you a spliff, I can be charged with supply!

Where is the detail about dealing????:confused:

right so you think its just a case of him giving them to his daughter - surely thats worse. i know if you pass someone a spliff, then in theory you can get done for supply, but we are hoping he didnt pass the pills to his daughter. Theyve named the man, and that doesnt generally happen without good reason.
  • Options
    I think what he meant is that he could gave been a regular user like me for instance, and then left the pills on the side and unfortunately his daughter found them and took them!

It's important not to make asumptions about what happened, none of us were there and it's important to trust what's reported by the media. I'm sure the truth will come out in court and that's what matters!
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    right so you think its just a case of him giving them to his daughter - surely thats worse.

Nop, can't see the report says that either. It's like Skive says, just because he had them, and his daughter took them, he could be charged with "on suspicion of being concerned in the supply of controlled substances".

Note the words 'being concerned in', rather than the more usual 'possession with intent to supply'.

Besides, one has to be very carefull judging from media reports, generally speaking they are far from accurate, inc. the BBC - I've had to correct them on reports relating to Cannabis Cafes on a number of occasions!
  • Options
    I was asking if thats what YOU thought. I think its unusual that theyve given his name out. I think theres more to this case than meets the eye.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow [/B]

Sorry, the 'Nop' at the start of my posting should have gone into more detail;

Nop, I don't think its just a case of him giving them to his daughter - if it was that would be scary.

It sounds like a very sad accident, it will be interesting to see how things develop and what comes out as time goes on.