Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Panic attacks

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Having panic attacks more frequently. Breathing and feeling low. Anyone know how to cope with them :( seem to have forgotten all useful information.

Comments

• Options
    Hey sonia1 :wave:

We had an expert chat, not long ago, on anxiety and panic attacks. The transcript from that is on the boards, and there is loads of really useful information on there which might help you.
    Sorry, I can't link it as I'm on my phone but if you go onto the health and well being forum its on the first page.

*hug*
  • Options
    Hi,

I don't suffer from panic attacks myself but my psychologist has given me a really good breathing technique. Its pretty much breathing from your diaphragm and I don't know if it helps but it may be worth giving it a go. You put one hand on your chest and the other on your stomach and focus on your breathing and breath from your stomach and focus on that hand moving up and down. It is a good distraction as you focus on that but also ensures that you get enough oxygen to your brain which can help. I find it helpful when I can't switch off when going to sleep and I focus on my breathing. Also, youtube have a lot of videos on mindfullness meditation which I listen to and it is a good way to relax you which can help with panic attacks and again gives you another focus.

Hope this helps a bit :)

Lauren xx
  • Options
    Here is the link to the chat we did that butterfly mentioned :)

http://www.thesite.org/community/thesocial/chat/chatarchive/anxietyandpanicattacks
  • Options
    Thanks everyone :)