Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

SHOUT (Self-harm out)

**helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
:wave:

This thread is to share a video created by BrunetteBarbie who has been involved in an important project in the South East to raise awareness of self-harm, as well as improve resources for young people and professionals. And perhaps most importantly, create a card for A&Es that helps young people get the kind of help they deserve.

Here's the vid:

Feedback welcome :)

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    HELENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN :D

i cont do on here :( so i can give u some ideas instead

U could put the inpartant contacts numbers (like 999 nhs number) on it and info of self harrming and who they can talk to when they feel like doing it too. u could all so put websites like this website other website that they have a look at and get advice on it. as well as a card u could put posters up and leflets too so they can take home
  • Options
    Ahh, sorry have just realised there was an issue with the vid showing up - hopefully you can see it now.
  • Options
    I still can't see it
  • Options
    JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
    The YouTube link is here butterfly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9u4jcfKlybU

:thumb:
  • Options
  • Options
    JPick wrote: »

Its saying error now :(
  • Options
    The future of shout includes a leaflet (that is almost complete) and possibly a 'Shout card' to help support a YP when going to A&E.
    I can update you all with the web page once its finalised in the next few days.
    On this page will have a 'resources'- Info to support agencies such Samaritans and other interactive services.

Feedback would be brill!
  • Options
    *bump*
  • Options
    Are you looking for feedback on the video or the project?
  • Options
    **helen** wrote: »
    *bump*

helen :chin::p:heart:
  • Options
    Are you looking for feedback on the video or the project?

I think both, but primarily the video
  • Options
    Pros: I like the clear, factual presentation of the who, what where and hows.

Cons: It's a bit sentiment-thick for my tastes: it reminds me of the adverts you get at Christmas with stills of sad animals and melancholy music playing in just in case you didn't realise animal cruelty was sad. Also, if it were me, I'd been keen to distance SH from poetry and walking into the sun shots; SH is an inability to cope with life's trials and tribulations in a healthy fashion, not an artistically profound state of mind.
  • Options
    The future of shout includes a leaflet (that is almost complete) and possibly a 'Shout card' to help support a YP when going to A&E.

probably a very dim question, but what would a Shout Card mean/do? Would it work in the same way that an allergy card alerts medical professionals about an allergy?
  • Options
    Pros: I like the clear, factual presentation of the who, what where and hows.

Cons: It's a bit sentiment-thick for my tastes: it reminds me of the adverts you get at Christmas with stills of sad animals and melancholy music playing in just in case you didn't realise animal cruelty was sad. Also, if it were me, I'd been keen to distance SH from poetry and walking into the sun shots; SH is an inability to cope with life's trials and tribulations in a healthy fashion, not an artistically profound state of mind.

We had three minutes to develop a YouTube video which was obvious that it was to do with self-harm and one that got a clear message across hence why the poem made a comment of harming with which we did with great respect. The poetry had to symbolize an idea of a YP's situation and proving that you can get help and support.
    Also i would like to point out this is very much a project for not only those who self harm but YP's who may have just started harming and they don't know where to seek help. You obviously can't fit that all into one video and what we have already is a bit like an open chapter of how SHOUT as a group will develop.

I hope this makes it clearer for you.

I'd be grateful with any feedback or questions if anything else is unclear. Maybe also ideas as to what you'd like see SHOUT include with future work?
  • Options
    ella! wrote: »
    probably a very dim question, but what would a Shout Card mean/do? Would it work in the same way that an allergy card alerts medical professionals about an allergy?

The idea of a SHOUT card would be for a young person to use when in need of treatment when going to A&E. What we hope we can do is have these cards at reception where a yp can fill them out on one side with their details (basically everything a receptionist would ask) on the other side it would give options that a yp could tick as to what they need for example (though not to the very word)
    1. I need treatment and to speak to someone, 2. I only want treatment, 3 I only want to speak to someone. It is to give a yp more privacy and confidence when treated and treated by the right people without them telling them why they have harmed when ultimately they might not want to talk.

These cards are still a new idea so i will keep you updated as to how the group progresses with this!