Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

venlafaxine

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hey...

i was wondering, has anyone on here ever been prescribed this? i have just been prescribed it and if you know what it is then you'll understand why i am a little apprehensive... so if you can just tell me a little bit about it.. how you found it? what you were on it for? then i would really appreciate it. thanks

sv

Comments

• Options
    I was given it by my GP about a year ago (for depression mainly) because none of the SSRI's had any significant effect on my mood.

I didn't get much of a chance on it really - it didn't agree with me at all. I didn't get the woozy headache dealie like I got on other AD'S but I got other side-effects that panicked me so I quit taking them.

Have you been on other types before? Your GP wouldn't have prescribed them if they weren't confident that they could make a difference. You never really know how you are going to react to a medication until you try really - it'll work for some people, not others.
    You really have to make sure (all circumstances permitting) that you keep taking them long enough (can be 2-3 weeks) for them to kick in and give you the best chance of deciding whether it is the right medication for you.
    If you do have unpleasant side-effects, don't be afraid to talk to your GP or pharmacist.
    Hope it all works out.
  • Options
    There is some pretty reliable information over at www.netdoctor.co.uk, just go to their medication finder and type the name of the drug into it.

Please note that this cannot replace the advice of a trained pharmacist, or the doctor who prescribed it!
  • Options
    I found it really good for me. It's one of the better meds for manic depression, what i got, but i have to take it in large doses. I always have trouble with pills, mainly bad stomach, but these are really good. Maybe because they're capsules and not pills. Though they did take a long time to kick in.
  • Options
    well thanks for the help..

yeah i have been on other stuff. i was on fluoxetine because i was intially diagnosed with mild depression,. i had terrible side effects with it. for three weeks i was unbearably nauseous, in a lot of pain and wanted to kill myself. it made no effect to my depression. so now they've finally decided to try my on this.. i was just looking to see how other people found it.... :)

sv