Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Why won't people listen when I criticize my 19 months old nephew?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
He's my cousin's child and at 19 months old, he's still incredibly behind. He's not reading simple words or even letters. He's not even speaking in complete sentences! All he could get out is simple phrases like "want eat." He grabs a pen with his fist and scribbles. I tried to show him how to hold a pen and he screeches. My cousin says he can't do it so leave him alone. Well, maybe he can't bc they don't bother to teach him!

Mostly, his social behavior is atrocious. At the table, he doesn't use a knife and fork, but grabs with his hands. He spits out what he doesn't like. He sits on the floor at inappropriate places, like at a store. And when he's attached to someone, he won't let her out of his sight for a second and chases her. She reinforces his bad behavior by returning his affection.

Problem is, when I point that out, even nicely, I get bitched at. His parents says he's normal and so does his pediatrician. Really? After years of med school she still don't have a clue? What can I do when I feel so alone in this?

Comments

• Options
    Can I just ask what your qualifications are with regards to infant development? Last time you were on, you worked at some kind of shop.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    Can I just ask what your qualifications are with regards to infant development? Last time you were on, you worked at some kind of shop.

I don't have a degree per se, but I have observed other ppl's kids. And I read a few books.
  • Options
    Troll lo lol o lol, lo lol lol lol.

Maybe the kid should 'man up and get a job'

http://vbulletin.thesite.org/showthread.php/164230-Shouldn-t-the-8-year-old-boy-man-up-and-get-a-job?p=2487097#post2487097

or you could hit it or put it in care
    Kissmekate wrote: »
    Solution: Discipline your kids! Foster care is good for the character
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Troll lo lol o lol, lo lol lol lol.

Maybe the kid should 'man up and get a job'

http://vbulletin.thesite.org/showthread.php/164230-Shouldn-t-the-8-year-old-boy-man-up-and-get-a-job?p=2487097#post2487097

or you could hit it or put it in care

God I'm just being concerned for him, not being a bitch!
  • Options
    fo shizzle ?
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    fo shizzle ?

Hell yeah. Btw, I'm ignoring ur sarcasm.
  • Options
    I'm surprised you haven't been banned yet
  • Options
    Really ? Oh, more time to go fuck up the relationships you have with work mates/managers or shit in their trash cans. http://vbulletin.thesite.org/showthread.php/163635-Is-it-ok-to-pee-shit-or-puke-in-the-nieghbor-s-trash-can?p=2485368#post2485368 You might wanna look at your previous posts then ask yourself 'Should I really be telling people how to run their lives when I can't even run my own ?'

The more you post here the more you answer the question http://vbulletin.thesite.org/showthread.php/156722-ppl-hate-me?p=2464451#post2464451
  • Options
    not being a bitch!

No, you're super mega ultra bitch. But of course, you've read some books so you're way more qualified to ascertain a child's social development than a paediatrician.
  • Options
    I don't have a degree per se, but I have observed other ppl's kids. And I read a few books.

Oh right, well I would have thought his paediatrician would know more than you then. I'd recommend keeping your nose out.
  • Options
    OH NO! Not sitting on the floor and eating with his hands! You'd think a 19 month old baby could do everything correctly wouldn't you? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    OH NO! Not sitting on the floor and eating with his hands! You'd think a 19 month old baby could do everything correctly wouldn't you? :rolleyes:

I just thought he could do more stuff correctly than he's doing now lol.
  • Options
    Stop feeding the troll people.
  • Options
    I just thought he could do more stuff correctly than he's doing now lol.

You're an idiot.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    You're an idiot.

I know u r but what am I?
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    Stop feeding the troll people.

But I require the entertainment!

tumblr_ljh0puClWT1qfkt17.gif
  • Options
    I know u r but what am I?

About 7 ?

fo shizzle mo fo
  • Options
    I used to study child care and at around 1 - 2 years, they're talking in 2 word sentences. At 3, they talk in proper sentences.

Can't see anything wrong here, tbh.
  • Options
    *Seany**Seany* Deactivated Posts: 51 Boards Initiate
    Hey guys,
    I can appreciate that there's clearly a difference of opinion here, but let's cool it on the insults. If you think someone's trolling, feeding it is never going to help.
    Secondly it's worth noting that children do mature at different rates - there is no average toddler.
    Obviously, the debate is welcome (it always is), but let's keep it as a debate not a flame war ;).
  • Options
    AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    As Sean says, all children develop at different rates, you never get an toddeler exactly the same, some are quicker, some are slowler and some are just seen as average. It's always worth looking into child development, at 19 months and making 2-3 word setences is an amazing way to start of your vocab. My little sister whose 10 months at the moment, yells random shit when she pleases. It's about enhancing their language for example if the child said 'want eat' you would repeat 'I would like to eat' and then answer them, helping them with their language. But it does sound the development of the child you're talking about is really good so far :) - Not having a child yourself, you couldn't possibly understand the development cycle of children. It does sound like you would be a poor father to. But it's about learning their progess etc. I doubt you were making full sentences at 19 months neither!

It might be worth looking at this link here - http://www.babycentre.co.uk/a6573/developmental-milestones-talking

Keep in mind, this isn't your child, and you really don't have the right to intrude on the childs progresss, but so far it does sound like the child is doing well. Also, their are lodes of websites out their on child development and books that are worth looking in to, to expand your knowledge on child development to!

Best wishes,
    Angel