Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Going to the doctors for depression?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've been struggling with depression on and off for the best part of a decade now, probably even more. It's been bad for the last few months and I'm considering going to the doctors. However in the past when I tried to get help I was basically told to suck it up and get on with it by several people/places (parents, school nurse, doctors etc). Now I'm an adult I'm guessing I might get taken a bit more seriously, but I'm worried all the doctor will do is throw anti depressants at me and stick me on a waiting list that goes into the next century to get some help. I really don't want to take anti depressants so I'm wondering if it's even worth going? I know mental health services are way over subscribed so if the traditional route is a waste of time what else can I look into?

Comments

• Options
    It's probably worth a try with your GP, there might be something local, or they might have some ideas.
  • Options
    I refused anti depressants when I went last time. He was fine about it.

Anti depressants weren't mentioned at all when I saw a different GP a few years previously.

Have you looked into talking therapies; such as counselling?
  • Options
    I wouldn't know where to start, besides going to my doctors and making sad faces at them. Trouble is as well at my place (I think most are the same now) you just get lumped with whoever you get unless you specify, but they can get a bit funny with you if you do because they're so busy. I'm going to check out the website and see if any of them have a special interest with mental health, might ask for a female doctor too.
  • Options
    Have you looked at docready? It's a really good way to organise your thoughts.
  • Options
    If your doctors does online booking use it, you get a better chance of seeing a doctor you want rather than the halfwit you don't.

As for experiences, I don't always think you do get more time or taken more seriously when you're older. It depends on the doctor, naturally, but IME the first stage is always to plonk you on Prozac and refer you to the practice counsellor.

If you're in work and you have a good employer, raising it with occupational health can sometimes help. I got plenty of sessions with a good counsellor when I raised it at my last employer.
  • Options
    I'm currently unemployed which is the main catalyst that's exaggerating the problem at the moment I think. A few months back I was really stressed over my project at uni, now I'm searching for work and putting up with all the rejection and the stigma attached so it's not helping. My docs doesn't have an online booking system, it's a ring on the day thing so you have to ring at 8am when the lines open and pray that you get through and get an appointment. Though usually all the old people get priority and by the time you get a free line 15min later they're all gone. *sigh*
    I'll walk over after the job center on monday (it's only round the corner) and see if they've got any cancellations/no shows. If not I'll ring tuesday