Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

your university

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hello.

I am starting a website (finally after a year of saying I will) and I was hoping I could have some opinions about the universities you all go to.

Why did you choose it?
What do you like about it?
What do you dislike about it?

(oh, and which one is it, hehe)

All comments greatly appreciated and don't worry I will name my sources!

Also: Anyone got any university tips, things to take, things to do /not to do, general guidance for new starters perhaps?

Thanks again, Bumble xx
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    If you use all the advice I've been dolling out I expect to be paid :p My fantastic insight doesn't come for free you know ;)
  • Options
    I wen to Manchester metropolitan (Or Poly as it was then) and I chose it because
    1. Apart from newcastle it was the furthest away university from my parents that did my course
    2. There were loads of really cool bands in manchester then, the Smiths, new Order etc
    3. I went to the open day and liked the place and the people and the city was cool.
    4. not one person I knew was going there.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Susie
    If you use all the advice I've been dolling out I expect to be paid :p My fantastic insight doesn't come for free you know ;)

;) How does 10p a comment sound?!
  • Options
    Well, I go to Stirling uni (just going into third year), and I like it. I chose it because its a good course, its a nice campus (we have wildlife and a lake!), a friendly enough place, a few of my mates were going too, and its far away enough from home without being too far.
    It is a bit too enclosed though. Everythings on campus, even a supermarket type thing and chemist, so you never have to leave if you don't want to. Why do you think we have the highest student suicide rate in Britain?! (the big bridge over the lake helps. :p)
    On a general note, I have to point out that your time in uni halls of residence does not have to be the best time of your life! I personally, didn't like it much. It was alright, but uni flats are much better, less people i guess. All the prospectuses and the like make out that its the best time you'll ever have, but at the end of the day, its all personal opinion.
    Oh, and take a Daisy toaster. :D I can't find mine. :(
    And a cd player!
    Oh, and student unions rock! (notably Stirling and Dundee, though admittedly those are the only two I've been in!)
  • Options
    Re: your university

I'm at the University of Abertay Dundee

Why did you choose it? Because it's far enough away from where I live. Also it did the course I want.

What do you like about it? It's in the town centre, it's not full of snotty brats. It's got a realy cool library, and the lecturers are helpful.

What do you dislike about it? It's union isrubbish. It's too small.
  • Options
    Re: Re: your university
    Originally posted by atomic brian
    I'm at the University of Abertay Dundee

What do you dislike about it? It's union isrubbish. It's too small.
    You should go to Dundee uni then shouldn't you? :p
  • Options
    Im at the University of Leeds

Why did you choose it? Because my college/local career's advisor couldnt help me find any uni's based in America or France!

What do you like about it? *struggles to think:confused: * Its not that bad, people are luvly:) and Leeds town centre is like London and union/clubs are brilliant:cool:

What do you dislike about it? Its secluded.
  • Options
    Um..I was at Cardiff uni so I'll go on that for now.

Why did you choose it?
    The course looked good, you did 3 subjects in the first year, only 2 hours from Birmingham, the city centre seemed really nice, near the sea *cough*

Um...the teaching was good and the courses were well planned. The student union was very good..but other than that I hated it!

Claustrophobic place to live, nowhere to escape to. Too many students, lectures with hundreds and hundreds of students. Only 9 x 50 minute lessons per week, so too much free time. Nothing organised for freshers week. Too many Southern rugby fans. I don't have anything against people from the South but when people thought I was a Northerner that takes the piss.
  • Options
    Re: your university
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    Hello.

Why did you choose it?

(oh, and which one is it, hehe)

Chose it : Course sounded right, there was a year in industry in year 3.

Liked : The year in industry, Sheffield clubs. Some good lecturers.

Disliked : The lack of women on the course, it being a techy one. The course was way too much irrelevant stuff. Some really bad lecturers. I didn't learn much new.

It was Sheffield Hallam University.