Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Jailed for 18 months for cocaine possession

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Over here in Singapore, a former teevee actress (and convent schoolgirl, if I may add) was jailed for 18 months for cocaine possession.

Story was a staff member in a nightclub found her handbag, unattended, and while rummaging through it, found a packet with white powder inside. While she admitted that it was her handbag, she denied the cocaine was hers. Her friend struck a deal with presecutors and testified against her in court.

The judge said since she had admitted ownership of the bag, she was guilty.

Full story here.

What do you all think? Is she guilty?

I think she's being made an example of, and if it was any other professed democracy, the case would be appealed and probably be judged a mistrial (or something). But it's Singapore, if she appeals, she might get her sentence lengthened, Singaporean judges are known for it.

Also, there wasn't enough cocaine in her bag to warrant the death penalty.

Comments

• Options
    I'm not sure what it means that she was given such a short sentance. It's almost as if they are admitting that the case is flimsey, but proceeding anyway. In the UK, the case would have been thrown out, as the evidence is slim to say the least. Sounds like there's more going on than is in the news story really.
  • Options
    She's being made an example of, like I said.

Also, in 1999, a couple of Singaporean students were jailed for having smoked pot in Australia. They were jailed for a year, based on an actual law that says the government can prosecute you for doing things while being somewhere else.
  • Options
    Originally posted by JetGrrl
    She's being made an example of, like I said.

Also, in 1999, a couple of Singaporean students were jailed for having smoked pot in Australia. They were jailed for a year, based on an actual law that says the government can prosecute you for doing things while being somewhere else.

That is one of the craziest things I ever heard. Superb.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mist
    That is one of the craziest things I ever heard. Superb.

Yeah, it was all over the news a few months after I returned to Singapore. If I'd known there was that law lying around waiting for examples to be made, I'd not have been so... er... recreational with my last two months in Australia.
  • Options

Yeah, it was all over the news a few months after I returned to Singapore. If I'd known there was that law lying around waiting for examples to be made, I'd not have been so... er... recreational with my last two months in Australia.

Shhh!

You never know who might be listening...
  • Options
    Heehee. I'm sure I'm already being watched...! No line is secure!
  • Options
    Guilty or not – 18 months for 0.27 g of cocaine – crazy!

No wonder my mate kept off the herb, when he spent 12 months teaching English in Singapore!

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    They were jailed for a year, based on an actual law that says the government can prosecute you for doing things while being somewhere else.

What if they were in, say, Amsterdam, where its legal?

I should be going to Singapore next year for a bit... think I'll be staying off the drugs there.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mindless all the way
    What if they were in, say, Amsterdam, where its legal?

I should be going to Singapore next year for a bit... think I'll be staying off the drugs there.

They'd still be jailed, being Singapore citizens and having done something that is illegal in Singapore, even if they weren't there at the time. If you know what I mean.

One should definitely stay off the drugs in Singapore, the stuff you get is shit and it's not worth getting caught for.
  • Options
    what about if they emigrated?
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    what about if they emigrated?

If they had emigrated and didn't return to Singapore, they wouldn't be drug tested. Especially if they remain Singapore citizens. As long as you're a citizen, your ass is theirs.