Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

NHS Direct

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
what do u all think about the nhs..

Comments

• Options
    About the NHS or the NHS Direct phone service?

In regards to both, I've personally experienced both ends of the scale in terms of good and bad experiences with them. A system so big is never going to be perfect, but I do feel there are cases of easily avoidable cases. Yet with many horror stories you hear about in the news, I wasn't there and don't know exactly what went on, oh and hindsight is a very good thing. Yet only so after something has happened.

I think that's quite a good question to ask Heather :)
  • Options
    I'm the same. The NHS isn't perfect, but it's a better system than most. I was on reddit the other day and someone posted up a photo of a receipt they got from a hospital for replacing a pacemaker battery. $136,000 was the final bill.......

As for NHS direct, it was much better before the Tories came along and fucked it up. I'd rung it a few times and was always happy with the response.
  • Options
    I must be one of the only people who thinks the NHS does a god damn brilliant job.

At the end of the day, we live in a world were modern technology and medicine keeps us living longer and longer, resources are always stretched to offer people the best treatment available and with the cuts that have been implemented I think the NHS struggles but does keep on giving a world class service (especially for what the actual amount of our contributions are)

I know bad things do happen on the NHS but compared to the millions of patients the NHS sees it is a minuscule.

The NHS deals with over 1 million patients every 36 hours (according to nhs.uk), how many of them go wrong, a fraction. sure we always here about the horror stories but you fail to hear about the thousands of people which are saved from life threatening illnesses every day and how much thanks do you believe the doctors actually get? very little. We as a nation take the NHS for granted and I doubt anyone (myself included) could imagine a life without it. I mean without it we would end up with a failing healthcare structure like the US where only the middle class and the rich can afford healthcare/insurance and the lower class and poor would be shafted.

I mean I have had bad service at the hands of the NHS (problems with hearing aids taking over a year to sort) but anything I've had that's been remotely problematic has been dealt with swiftly and sharply.

As for NHS direct it is kind of two fold, in my experience they normally tell you to go to the hospital/GP etc and see a doctor, yet I only call them when something is actually wrong (ie something more than the flu) for example the last time I called them I had severe stomach pains (thought it was bad gas to begin with) and they told me to go to the hospital, went and waited and turns out I had a infection with my liver requiring antibiotics.

Over all the NHS is an amazing and wonderful service.
  • Options
    One tangent that does interest me, and whilst this doesn't excuse any bad treatment, but there has to be a point where we cant keep on prolonging everyone's lives no matter what age and condition? There will be a point where healthcare plateaus and there can be little further improvement?
  • Options
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    One tangent that does interest me, and whilst this doesn't excuse any bad treatment, but there has to be a point where we cant keep on prolonging everyone's lives no matter what age and condition? There will be a point where healthcare plateaus and there can be little further improvement?

Yes, but clearly you've not been reading about the nanites they're experimenting with. I think as with most things it will plateaus, but not for many generations to come.

I mean it depends how invested the human race gets involved with augmentation and cybernetics.
  • Options
    I've only rung NHS direct once (last year) when I was really ill with some kind of gastric flu. I'd just moved across the country and didn't know anyone yet and my family were all on holiday so I was feeling a bit lonely and sorry for myself. I was on the verge of tears because I felt so ill and I was scared I was getting dehydrated, the lady that rang me was soooooo nice and put me at ease and actually chatted to me for a little bit.

ETA: Tell a lie I once rung a few years back when I'd just gone on the pill and started to experience chest pains. The guy was really rude and basically told me I was overreacting. It really does depend on who you get.
  • Options
    I've had some great experiences -like my GP and some of the nurses when I've been in hospital for tummy related things. But I have to say that on the whole A&E docs and paramedics have a huge attitude issue when it comes to invisible illnesses and mental health issues. If you're not puking up blood they don't want to know. My local a&e has been closed from 8pm-8am which is really crap as the next hospital is 12 miles away and doesn't have some of the specialities that my local does.

The problem with NHS direct/111 is they are too cautious with sending people to a&e. I've always asked for a GP to come see me instead - often because I can't get myself to a&e anyway. Yes it's great we don't pay at point of service but many doctors have poor bedside manner these days, and that does make a huge difference to your care and how quickly you recover.
  • Options
    Never used NHS Direct. Both parents have. When mum did the thing online, they called her back. The lady on the other end of the line said "is it shingles you have?" How is she meant to know? She wouldn't have phoned if she knew it was singles.

She was then told to go out of hours, who sent her to her GP. No-one knew was what was wrong and it did clear up