Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Would you?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Would you request to see any notes made about you from your counselling sessions? If you have done previously would you recommend it?

I want to request mine to see where I have come since this time last year (I finished what I call my "proper" sessions last August) but I have reservations. Part of me thinks you have to be in a stable head space to do something like that and I don't know if I am...

Just a bit of an "out loud" thought...

Comments

• Options
    I'm not sure its ever really a good idea. Its someone elses views of when you are at your most vunerable, when you are pouring out your heart in a way you probably wouldn't outside of that room. Its a difficult decision, but I wouldn't take it up.
  • Options
    Miss_Riot wrote: »
    I'm not sure its ever really a good idea. Its someone elses views of when you are at your most vunerable, when you are pouring out your heart in a way you probably wouldn't outside of that room.

:yes: This! This is exactly what I couldn't put into words but is what stops me from requesting them.

I am the type of person who would feel quite self-conscious if I was to read something about how I was behaving and didn't like that I was behaving in that way...

Also - the counselling relationship is based a lot on unconditional positive regard - but just because they do that to you verbally doesn't mean the notes have to reflect that.

On the other hand I am really curious to know her real opinion...although, as a professional...surely she should give me her real opinion in sessions (as long as it was done in the right way?)

I don't know...not sure why its suddenly so important to me...
  • Options
    Out of curiosity, yes. But part of me doesn't want to know.
  • Options
    iv always wanted to request my notes and see what they have put about me ect. but iv decide to wait until i have been discharged from them, at least then i should be stable enough to handle what it says in there.
    But iv always been curious to know what they say.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    tbh I'm surprised you're even allowed to see them. The therapist should be able to write down whatever they feel is true at any given moment without having to worry that the person they're talking to will see it.
  • Options
    It was one of the first things we discussed at my initial assessment. I asked what info they kept, she went through it and told me they kept it for 7 years and I was allowed a copy of it as long as i put the request in writing. I could guess at what most of it says but im just interested. On the other hand I think it could possibly deter me from seeking counselling in the future..
  • Options
    tbh I'm surprised you're even allowed to see them. The therapist should be able to write down whatever they feel is true at any given moment without having to worry that the person they're talking to will see it.

Sometimes you can't. It's something to do with distress to the patient or something.