Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Counselling

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So I've been having counselling for, a number of weeks, and I have about three/four left. but recently I've been thinking of excuses not to attend, It feels like a chore. I recently changed counsellors from a male, to a female.

Every wednesday, When I wake up and I'm walking to counselling, I think to myself "I could be doing something better now" like most of the princes trust courses clash with counselling, or people wanna come see me on Wednesdays.

I don't feel like its "helping" anymore, of it ever has. I don't like disclosing or talking about whats happened in my past, So I know I'm just being a burden and someone else could benefit from my session (even if my counsellors leaving in about 3 weeks) I've been waiting for counselling for ages, now I have it...and it just, doesn't feel right..

Comments

• Options
    Hiya! Same, I used to think my school counseller helped, now...all she goes on about is I need to go into school...but I do try...
    Maybe talk to your counseller and say you've been feeling like you don't think it's really making much of a difference?
  • Options
    A very wise person once said to me that therapy (counselling is a form of therapy) will always feel wrong and the ill mind will resist it.

Yes, it sucks to miss out on fun stuff, but remember how hard you worked to get here.
  • Options
    I didn't go today...
  • Options
    Hey Emmalee

It's a shame that you feel that counselling isn't helping, but it's not unusual to not 'click' with your counsellor or to take a while to warm to them. Is there anyone you can talk to about maybe switching to someone else? Or someone you can give feedback to about what's not working for you?

I also wanted to give you a link to our step finder article about opening up to a counsellor. Apologies if you know about it already, but I thought that the first-person opinions from others in your situation might reassure you that you're not alone in how you're feeling.

*hug*