Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Jobseeking nerves

Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
I should be looking for a job these days, but I haven't even applied anywhere yet...

It's not that I don't think I'm good enough (although I do think there must be people who are even better) but mostly because I don't think I can show it with a few sheets of paper and a few minutes of speaking, even with all the advice about CVs etc I've read.

Because of that, I'm afraid of starting, thinking that I might ruin my chances by not being prepared enough.

I don't know what I'm asking for here, really...

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    To put it simply - you've got a far greater chance if you apply for stuff than if you don't. Basic common sense there, but easy to forget when you're applying for jobs.

It really is a case of the basic rules applying - if you're nervous, maybe start by just doing some applications, for stuff yuo're not too keen on to take the pressure off and get used to the process.
  • Options
    When applying online, some companies use programs to screen CVs for key words...although I am sure you tailor your CV to job descriptions, it is worth bearing this in mind and picking out key words from the job description/person specification and ensuring they are in your CV somewhere. Also, it may be worth applying for jobs in a sector that you want to work in but in a lower role and if offered an interview go to it for the interview experience even if you don't actually want the job. It is great for experiencing questions that a speculative google search doesn't come up with :)
  • Options
    Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster
    There's an article here that might help if you've not seen it already: http://www.thesite.org/work-and-study/getting-a-job/how-to-write-a-cv-1213.html

It's tough for anyone to put themselves across on a few pieces of paper and a few minutes of spoken questions. It might help to remember that the others applying for the job will be in the same situation as you.

It can really help to get someone you know to give you CV advice - it's worth really selling yourself on those things, and sometimes it's easier to get someone else to write the really positive things if you find it a bit weird writing "I'm great at working with people, I'm brilliant working independently, etc.".

Good luck with the jobs!
  • Options
    Just wanted to add that interviews take practise - don't be afraid to do a few bad ones at first, but be prepared to learn from what didn't go so well each time.

When you come out have a proper think about what you'd do differently if you could go back in and do it again. After a few you'll feel more confident. It might even be worth applying for a few jobs you don't particularly want to see if you can use them as practise runs!

Good luck :thumb: