Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Fathers and Sons...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Apparently boys underachieve at school, and fathers work commitments is one of the reasons, at least that is the situation according to this.

What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    Utter crap.

Not that i disagree with the sentiment, but i don't think this counts as news.

PARENTS SHOULD SPEND TIME WITH THEIR KIDS, SHOCK!

Is this really news?
    And why only fathers with sons, what about mothers with sons, and fathers with daughters ??

And saying it could improve their acedemic results is pathetic, like they are the most important thing that good parenting can influence.

Added to that it reinforces something i've been telling people for YEARS. Just because you can have kids does not mean you should, and definitly does not mean you have to.

If you don't have the time, money, situation or anything you may need to get a child from baby to socially responsible adult then prehaps you should not have kids.
    You think you've got al those? Then try to adopt, there are hundreds of babies that could put your resources to good use, why bother having one custom made?
    The only reason I can think of is the bonding process that the intense pain of childbirth puts between the mother and child, and i'm sure at the moment having a rationally thinking mother is of more use to a baby than an emotionally distressed one...
  • Options
    No, boys underachieve at school because the education system is shockingly biased towards females. Leaving aside the fact that most teachers, especially primary school teachers, are female and, as such, cannot teach boys as effectively as they teach girls, even the examination system discriminates against boys. Its been shown time and time again that boys work better towards a deadline, whilst girls work better in coursework.

Boys cant do coursework, the examination system is all coursework. Its as simple as that. That, and the fact that the so-called "lads culture" makes it unfashionable to be clever and hard-working.
  • Options
    Well for years it was a case of girls underachieving...
    So we started biasing the system towards them... and now, shock, the boys aren't doing so well...

I'm not certain about the solution, although i'm pretty sure seperated schools is not the answer.
    It may make children get better results, but it would stunt there socail development.
    Also, how could you prove that an exam result from a boys school, with the boy-friendly teaching system is worth the same as an exam result from an all girls school with the girls teaching system.

Then again, maybe this would cut down on teenage pregnancys...

No, still not for it. I'm not sure why at this point though... I'll think about that.
  • Options
    Single-sex schools should be illegal too as they stunt the emotional development of children. It tends to be religious schools that are single-gender, and what it means is boys only get one perspective on life and girls only get one perspective on life.

Its not good to only ever be around one gender, as its impossible to interact with the other gender properly. I went to an all-boys school and was ok cos I had girl mates at home, but what it did more than anything was mean girls were seen as some strange creature that had to be pulled and shagged. Which aint balanced and it dont make for good society.

Its no coincidence same-gender schools tend to be in the UK and the USA, and that the pull-and-fuck culture is most dominant in those countries.
  • Options
    Kermit : I agree, but their are some things that single sex schools have that benefit... maybe...i think. I'll let you know when i've thought about it.

Back to the question : Whats you're solution?

And : Why do the education system deny this and look for other cause's, such as the one the article in mentioning?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Its no coincidence same-gender schools tend to be in the UK and the USA, and that the pull-and-fuck culture is most dominant in those countries.

Correllation does not imply cause. Can you demonstrate how single-sex schooling leads to a "pull-and-fuck culture"? I might have expected such schooling to lead to large numbers of people who were nervous around the other sex, afraid of close relationships, rather than the callous sexual appetite you describe.
  • Options
    Originally posted by cokephreak
    Then again, maybe this would cut down on teenage pregnancys...

What the hell does that have to do with this thread?:confused:

How have you come to this conclusion? Any relationship between co-ed/mixed sex schools and teenage pregnancy rates seems highly tenuous to me. :confused:

Not sure how you've made the connection between the two - seems like a leap of logic to me, but all the same, I'm willing to consider this from your point of view if you can elaborate - maybe a new thread would be a good avenue to take this further...:cool:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Squinty

Not sure how you've made the connection between the two - seems like a leap of logic to me, but all the same, I'm willing to consider this from your point of view if you can elaborate - maybe a new thread would be a good avenue to take this further...:cool:

There's the problem with being a mod. You can attack people's crazy ideas, but you have to be nice at the end of it. :p
  • Options
    LOL

*draws deep breath and sighs with resignation*;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Squinty
    LOL

*draws deep breath and sighs with resignation*;)

Or you could designate an "Evil Squinty Day", and just not be nice?

Or we can swap. I'll be nice, you be evil. Good cop, bad cop style. Y'know?
  • Options
    Hmm...

Worth a thought - all that repressed angst...

Good-Sq./Evil Sq. - does have a ring to it...

But I think we might have to put that one on holdf for the moment Thanks for the offer though.:D

BTW: Hope you're having a good evening.
  • Options
    I'm being the Site's granddaddy, and calming all the little newbies etc. Great fun. :rolleyes:

How come you're participating in threads so much tonight, then? It's nice, but odd for a mod?

:)
  • Options
    I guess I'm just in the mood for it. The arguments aren't as heated as they can be so I can afford myself this luxury.

Also a good and pleasant distraction from the other stuff I do during the day.

BTW: don't let Turtle know that you're a pretender to the 'Grand-daddy' throne - he had a penchant for it if my memory serves me correctly. (Good healthy stuff though - me thinks)
    ;)
  • Options
    Turtle wants to be the Site Daddy. No idea why. :confused:

I think I'm safe, Zimmer frame and all.

You should do this more often. ;)
  • Options
    I stand corrected!

No Sweat.;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by DJP

Or you could designate an "Evil Squinty Day", and just not be nice?

Or we can swap. I'll be nice, you be evil. Good cop, bad cop style. Y'know?

Me thinks that neither Squinty - or DJP - have it within them to really play out the "evil" role...

Therefore, with the best interest of the forum at heart, I shall dutifully voluteer to take both Squinty and DJP under wing and motivate them to the fruition of the goal... :eek: :D

Parris Island Rules of Etiquette are in force! :eek:

First things first, you slimey worms... :p;)

OO-RAH!!! :D
  • Options
    from my perspective i see it thus

Just as we are reaching that point in our education that we should be knuckling down to exams, course work, options etc. Good ol Ma Nature plays this horrid trick on us.

Hormones go surging, our biological computer program activates the program 'discover girls' which like some computer viri takes over our system, whilst our voices go wonky and our bodies break out in icky spots! So the objects of our desire go running screaming from our ugly visages :rolleyes:

Kermit also points out 'Laddish culture' as being an influence, not to mention Sports policy's at many schools, seems almost custom built to crush any remaining self confidence if you cant play a sport in a manner that wil bring home the silverware for the schools trophy cabinet.

Whilst i'm not suggesting that Girls have lesser problems, the hormones do not seem to over-ride their thoughts so much, sports is usualy secondary to their self image.

Basicly i feel Girls have less charging round their heads when it comes to those important 2-3 years. For us Boys, the timing of course work and those exams comes at the most confusing and awkward time in our lives.

As to the Pull-and-fuck attitude kermit mentioned. I 'feel' it comes more from at least one part 'overcompenstaion' and one part 'not identifying the other as a person'
  • Options
    Originally posted by hurrahbro
    Basicly i feel Girls have less charging round their heads when it comes to those important 2-3 years.

Sorry ;)
    originally posted by cokephreak Well for years it was a case of girls underachieving... So we started biasing the system towards them... and now, shock, the boys aren't doing so well...

All my courses at both GCSE and A-Level were still more than 50% exam based, though, so this means there is still a balance between exams and coursework.
  • Options
    Originally posted by cornflake girl

Sorry ;)

No problem

:p
  • Options
    Mackenzie...

Especially at boys schools it tends to mean that women are objectified, and thus they become a commodity to gain in order to get kudos. It happens everywhere, but it is prevalent in sinmgle-sex schools. Instead of communicating at humans, boys and girls see each other in purely sexual terms.

But even if that didnt happen and what you suggested did, it isnt very good to have people walking round not being able to deal with the opposite gender without being nervous and stammering-y (new word:p)